What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our pack 2014

Tom155

Coach
Waddell shouldn't be in contention for the jersey. The 14 and eventual 9 should be Clydsdale's and his alone unless there's an injury to either himself or Gidley.

Loved the last few lines of the article.
Gidley to #9 is no real surprise I think most thought the Roberts to #9 rumours were not true

Bennett was amused by the news league legend and his assistant coach at the Indigenous All Stars, Brad Fittler, could be participating in the Nines.

Fittler, 41, confirmed on the Nine Network on Friday he wanted to turn out for the Roosters, though he still requires the approval of the NRL.

``I woke up and thought I had a New Year's hangover for a start,'' teetotaller Bennett joked.

``Then I thought maybe I'm just a bit seedy today and then I thought a little bit more about it, and I thought he (Fittler) would nearly fit into our recruitment plans here, because we like those older players.

``He is probably a little bit young for us yet. Another year or two on him and I think we could probably bring him here to the Knights.''

:lol:

Dave_

Juniors
Waddell shouldn't be in contention for the jersey. The 14 and eventual 9 should be Clydsdale's and his alone unless there's an injury to either himself or Gidley.

Loved the last few lines of the article.

I highly doubt we'll see the return of the severely inept and attack stifling "talent" of Waddle back in first grade at all. I think Wayne of all people should be able to notice how much we improved when he wasn't there.

At least I hope we won't see him again. I don't see the point in using a player with so little promise that has proven he isn't up to FG standard, especially if he's holding back a bloke with so much potential in Clydesdale.

I don't get us being knee deep in some of these "depth" players. Especially if we're just knee deep in sh*t.

Burwood

Bench
I have no idea why Bennett didn't keep Waddell on the books for all of 2013 so we could have just been rid of him. So many people on here were cheering when he was released back to the Qld Cup, even though it meant he would be back in our top 25 for 2014.

Whats Doing

Bench
The most perplexing question is why we signed him for 2014 in the first place.

There was a 12 month period where we could have assessed our options.

It is not that Waddell's services were in such demand that we needed to lock him up for 2014 early in 2013.

Last edited:
I think we made the deal for Waddell when we sent him back last year just in case we might need him again during 2013. A good will kind of thing with a backup plan.
We definitely don't need him on the books now but, who knows, he might improve and he does has some talent there that was recognised but not realised.

We need a fwd now though.

Who is available?

doggone

Juniors
I'd be happy to see Hilder given first go as the bench hooker. Really impressed me last few matches.

Not a bad option till Gids gets onboard. At least experience is there with Hilder, and as the Baron said he did look last three matches. Who knows what Bennett is thinking.

Frederick

Staff member
I think we made the deal for Waddell when we sent him back last year just in case we might need him again during 2013. A good will kind of thing with a backup plan.
We definitely don't need him on the books now but, who knows, he might improve and he does has some talent there that was recognised but not realised.

We need a fwd now though.

Who is available?

Probably just see Toka or someone get promoted

Burwood

Bench
Probably just see Toka or someone get promoted

How close is he to being first grade standard? They showed him on NBN news Friday night with some of the other boys at training. He is a big, big, big boy who looked to be a good 20kg overweight.

Is Vaivai still on the radar?

Allstar Knights

Juniors
If Toka gets his fitness at a decent level, he'll be a gun. Reminds me of G Burgess in the way he just bursts through the line and brushes off players with sheer size and power.

I honestly find Sims fairly ordinary. Too small for an impact prop imo. Seems to be a lock nowadays but not sure if he's got the work rate to be any good there long term. I think it'd be worth developing him into an edge backrower.

Last edited:

rnb11

Juniors
Yes I agree about Sims, he destroys the opposition playing in the backrow in NSW Cup and he was pretty fierce there in the WC too, I think he's future is in the backrow unless he can bulk up more over the coming years.

If we signed Packer for impact then we can't look no further than Likiliki to replace him. I don't think he's ever going to play huge minutes even though he went the full 80 in the NYC but I doubt there's many young players who can come on and destroy anyone infront of him like Toka does every single week. Close to the line and making metres up field he's almost unstoppable. I've seen him go on 50 metre runs just because he can't get put down and he's won a few games for us in the final minutes by crashing himself over the line. I know he's a giant but he's alot faster and better in defence than what some give him credit for. I think he will definitely get a game by mid-season and he'll be one of our biggest weapons by 2015. He's only just turned 21.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
A suggestion in Dargon's forum that we are trying to snare de Belin from 2015. Anyone have an opinion of him? I'm not overly fussed. I'm assuming he'll play prop.

perverse

Referee
I rate de Belin quite highly. Has an excellent workrate and carts the ball up well. Can play anywhere in the pack from what I've seen. He was a very highly fancied young prospect a couple of years ago - and it's been pretty hard to prosper as a Dragon since Wayne left. Definitely worth attention, particularly if the price is right.

Spot On

Coach
De Belin is ok but he isn't a prop[/QUOTE

What is he then??? Can't have him in the backrow. He can play lock depending on what you want from him in that position. He won't get a start at lock at St George with Merrin there. He'll be playng prop for them this season won't he?

Spot On

Coach
I rate de Belin quite highly. Has an excellent workrate and carts the ball up well. Can play anywhere in the pack from what I've seen. He was a very highly fancied young prospect a couple of years ago - and it's been pretty hard to prosper as a Dragon since Wayne left. Definitely worth attention, particularly if the price is right.

I like his defensive qualities. Not much else to rave about. Maybe this year will see him establish himself in a position he'll excel in.

Spot On

Coach
Mose Masoe - can't believe Penrith let him go. He was skittling blokes late last season. A geniune huge, aggessive unit. Bit rough around the edges but maybe Bennett could smooth those out.

Whats Doing

Bench
Mose Masoe - can't believe Penrith let him go. He was skittling blokes late last season. A geniune huge, aggessive unit. Bit rough around the edges but maybe Bennett could smooth those out.

Agree he is a big unit but is lazy in defence. Not sure he is one of Bennett style players but De Bellin is although not a big unit.