What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our run to the finals

mxlegend99

Referee
I believe James Maloney is holding Nathan back.
For personal form he is. Although with Maloney Cleary isnt zn Origin winning half. We cant hsve 2 players trying to control the team contradicting each other. Cleary has stepped aside as requested and let Msloney run the team

Cleary was in much better form than Maloney pre-injury. Because it was his team. But Maloney came out of his shell once Cleary got injured and so everyone wanted it to be Malondys team. And it is now.

I personally think Cleary needs to be given his team back. Maloney gained confidence running the team but that doesnt mean he cant be a great support player to Cleary. They made a big deal about how this was Clearys team. Yet it hasnt been since Round 3.

franklin2323

Immortal
We took off when it became Maloney's team. I don't think that will change.

There is times when Maloney should control the team. Other times not it is just getting to work together it takes time.

The last 20 mins of the game should all be Maloney's for starters. The rest can be as the game dictates

For personal form he is. Although with Maloney Cleary isnt zn Origin winning half. We cant hsve 2 players trying to control the team contradicting each other. Cleary has stepped aside as requested and let Msloney run the team

Cleary was in much better form than Maloney pre-injury. Because it was his team. But Maloney came out of his shell once Cleary got injured and so everyone wanted it to be Malondys team. And it is now.

I personally think Cleary needs to be given his team back. Maloney gained confidence running the team but that doesnt mean he cant be a great support player to Cleary. They made a big deal about how this was Clearys team. Yet it hasnt been since Round 3.
I just think it is ridiculous. Nathan is younger, and he should be able to control the team going forward, and if he struggles, then James should step in.

OldPanther

Coach
I just think it is ridiculous. Nathan is younger, and he should be able to control the team going forward, and if he struggles, then James should step in.

Cleary was saying he wasn't very vocal before origin. Over the series he learnt to direct the team better and Fittler said his favourite moment was just before games 3 Cleary started pushing forwards around which he'd not done before. Based on that we could see a more dominant Nathan in club footy from now on.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary was saying he wasn't very vocal before origin. Over the series he learnt to direct the team better and Fittler said his favourite moment was just before games 3 Cleary started pushing forwards around which he'd not done before. Based on that we could see a more dominant Nathan in club footy from now on.

They are a team. Who cares who does what as long as we get results. Video analysis will help Nathan if Maloney does more during the game. Knowing why he kicked to the corner. Why not run etc is all part of the learning

OldPanther

Coach
They are a team. Who cares who does what as long as we get results. Video analysis will help Nathan if Maloney does more during the game. Knowing why he kicked to the corner. Why not run etc is all part of the learning

Why wouldn't we care. It means his development is happy as it should that's a good thing.

Sime_11

Juniors
I think we also need to look at the fact that James & Nathan haven't played as much as we'd like together at Penrith, and also the fact that most of the games they have, its been with a make shift spine due to our ridiculous injury toll, Edwards & Wallace are big outs to a spine, majority of the season they've played with DWZ (who's filling in at FB) and Katoa/Egan.

All the while we've lost a lot of Punch from our Front rowers during the season (RCG, McKendry, Leota).

I still maintain if we can get back to a full squad (minus Edwards, Wal & McKendry) - we are going to be one of the toughest teams to be when in matters in September. we've shown all season that we don't give up (Roosters exception). we haven't really been given the chance to show what our squad is capable of this season which is an underlying factor most clubs haven't comprehended - if we get everyone back and performing - we might be the team that rises above everyone and says we are the benchmark in 2018.

and if Maloney & Cleary fire at the same time - Look out !!!!!

Pomoz

Bench
It doesn't work like that. Last year we were the worst team in the NRL for scoring in the red zone. Nathan really struggled to create against stacked defences. Jimmy has the experience and vision to run the team. Nathan simply doesn't have his level of expertise at running plays yet. One day he may have it, but right now the best thing for the team is for the best half to take control, that person is Jimmy.

There is a reason Fittler said he learned from coaching Jimmy and he appreciated how good Jimmy is after working with him. Nathan will get his chance. In the meantime, with Jimmy running the play, it gives Nathan a chance to pick his moment when to use his excellent running game and pick out a spot for his clearing kicks.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think we also need to look at the fact that James & Nathan haven't played as much as we'd like together at Penrith, and also the fact that most of the games they have, its been with a make shift spine due to our ridiculous injury toll, Edwards & Wallace are big outs to a spine, majority of the season they've played with DWZ (who's filling in at FB) and Katoa/Egan.

All the while we've lost a lot of Punch from our Front rowers during the season (RCG, McKendry, Leota).

I still maintain if we can get back to a full squad (minus Edwards, Wal & McKendry) - we are going to be one of the toughest teams to be when in matters in September. we've shown all season that we don't give up (Roosters exception). we haven't really been given the chance to show what our squad is capable of this season which is an underlying factor most clubs haven't comprehended - if we get everyone back and performing - we might be the team that rises above everyone and says we are the benchmark in 2018.

and if Maloney & Cleary fire at the same time - Look out !!!!!

Even in defence. Blake has missed 6 tackles this whole season. Compare that with how bad during his time out.

Maloney and Cleary were training together atleast that will help but once RCG comes back we have the best roster...Just keeping it on the field is the challenge

franklin2323

Immortal
It doesn't work like that. Last year we were the worst team in the NRL for scoring in the red zone. Nathan really struggled to create against stacked defences. Jimmy has the experience and vision to run the team. Nathan simply doesn't have his level of expertise at running plays yet. One day he may have it, but right now the best thing for the team is for the best half to take control, that person is Jimmy.

There is a reason Fittler said he learned from coaching Jimmy and he appreciated how good Jimmy is after working with him. Nathan will get his chance. In the meantime, with Jimmy running the play, it gives Nathan a chance to pick his moment when to use his excellent running game and pick out a spot for his clearing kicks.

Then in video sessions pretty much every move is looked at. Giving Cleary a chance to learn why Maloney did that or didn't do. This will help down the track

betcats

Referee
Its not just about being able to run plays, Mitchel pearce learnt how to run plays really early on in his career, do you know how many opportunities ive seen him bomb? The guy might have a 3 man overlap and he will still play short because that was the play that was drawn up. He does that so f**king much still to this day, he has zero vision. He doesn't play what is in front of him, he plays how he practiced it.

If you can't see the opportunities you wont be able to take advantage of them, Cleary will never have Maloneys vision, all the video sessions in the world wont change that. He plays more eyes up footy than Mitchel Pearce does but I still have questions marks over his vision.

franklin2323

Immortal
Its not just about being able to run plays, Mitchel pearce learnt how to run plays really early on in his career, do you know how many opportunities ive seen him bomb? The guy might have a 3 man overlap and he will still play short because that was the play that was drawn up. He does that so f**king much still to this day, he has zero vision. He doesn't play what is in front of him, he plays how he practiced it.

If you can't see the opportunities you wont be able to take advantage of them, Cleary will never have Maloneys vision, all the video sessions in the world wont change that. He plays more eyes up footy than Mitchel Pearce does but I still have questions marks over his vision.

A lot of the vision comes down to confidence. Look at the origin Maloney threw 2 intercepts Cleary may see things but not have the confidence to go for it. That can be fixed over time look at the Peachey try v Roosters in 2016. That was great vision the key is too get more of that

Latest posts