What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Spine.

If you could replace ONE of our spine players to make the team more elite who would it be?

• Will Kennedy

• Blayke Brailey

• Nicho Hynes

Results are only viewable after voting.
A bit of BYE round discussion.

If you could only replace ONE of our Spine players who would it be?

What would be your order of priority to replace from the following?

Fullback : Will Kennedy

Hooker : Blayke Brailey

Half Back : Nicho Hynes

chewsta

First Grade
I don't mind Brails but I want a constant threat from that position for the other spiney's to shine.
Api in ---> Brailey out.

WK is a shadow of his former self and I am off him big time but unfortunately for Brails the attack starts from the 9 for us. With our power game up the middle Api would be amazing for us in the 9.

Reactions: PJ

DJDL

Bench
It was a toss of the coin between those two for me as well, @chewsta, but I ended up going with WK.
With AFB coming next year I think we are still short an absolute gun outside back.
WK has improved immensely on the defensive side of the game this year, but I feel we're missing some spark.

He's on the market from Nov 1 and I wouldn't be rushing to extend him.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I don't mind Brails but I want a constant threat from that position for the other spiney's to shine.
Api in ---> Brailey out.

WK is a shadow of his former self and I am off him big time but unfortunately for Brails the attack starts from the 9 for us. With our power game up the middle Api would be amazing for us in the 9.
Only thing with Api is that it's a short term play. He's 32 this year so hasn't got much footy left.

Fullback for mine - easy decision. Will is good, typically reliable and safe but to go up a notch feel we need an X factor there.

bluefox68

Staff member
Are there any fullbacks out there?

Trai Fuller (Dolphins)
Keano Kini (?) - Titans (potentially behind Campbell)
Fa’alogo - The Melbourne gun (behind Paps)

I voted for Will Kennedy.

Funnily enough I think he has played better than Nicho and Brailey the past few games but I just don’t think he’s dynamic enough or influential enough in games like what our competition for the title have.

Penriff - Dylan Edwards

Storm - Ryan Papenhuyzen

Roosters - James Tedesco

Broncos - Reece Walsh

When you look at the hookers for those Clubs only Harry Grant stands out as really elite.

So as long as Brailey learns to run the ball more he is more than capable being serviceable like the other hookers in the other contending teams.

Half Back

Penrith - Nathan Cleary

Storm - Jahrome Hughes

Roosters - Sam Walker

Broncos - Adam Reynolds

Would you have Nicho better than even half of those half backs? For me no. But finding elite half backs is like finding a needle in a hay stack. So Nicho has to step it up or we find someone with some elite traits to partner him in the halves.

This is where our competition has another edge over us in the half back partners for the above being Luai, Munster, Keary & Mam.

So our Spine for me is placed 5th behind those teams and we need to upgrade somewhere to catch up. The easiest upgrade in the future for me is fullback. There will be options become available and we’ll have to pull the trigger in some way.

What will help this year and especially next is our pack. I reckon fully fit we have a top 3 pack. So we just have to keep improving this spine and our upward trajectory will keep moving up.

Craigshark

First Grade
It was a toss of the coin between those two for me as well, @chewsta, but I ended up going with WK.
With AFB coming next year I think we are still short an absolute gun outside back.
WK has improved immensely on the defensive side of the game this year, but I feel we're missing some spark.

He's on the market from Nov 1 and I wouldn't be rushing to extend him.

genuine question, how has his defence improved immensely?

shadowboxer

First Grade
Will.
I like the bloke a lot and has been no where near as rubbish as people indicate. Perineal whipping boy when others falter.
Why Will then?
The other two have more longevity and potential, even though one bloke has more ‘Stop + Go’ than a lollipop council worker and is obviously coaches pet.
I doubt baby are on the outer in the short term though.

We AFB coming and his ability for an offload, I want a fullback with genuine speed.
If Ison can put size on over the summer and remain as quick, there is the answer.
It's a shame Stonestreet is a winger not a fullback

Frenzy.

Immortal
Will is one of my faves but he's also the one I'd replace. I think his style is dated. We need some X somewhere, some raw speed and an additional ball playing option.

I think the team is a bit on the slow side overall. We can score long range team tries but we don't see any long range individual tries. Also, the new game plan and style has negated Will's main positive which was to chime in out wide and make an extra man where he could pass or run and produce something.

Bring back the slingshot!

Craigshark

First Grade
His tackling has improved, but it’s mostly about defusing and cleaning up kicks.

he’s always been pretty safe. I’d go back and watch the Penrith game again and see his cleaning up in that game. His tackling is trash. His first contact is absolutely terrible. It’s not being harsh or picking on him, it just is what it is.

as mentioned, the slingshot play he was good at has disappeared. Not entirely his fault, but it was one of his only real positives, without it, we really need more and he isn’t providing it.

Last edited:

fizzgig

Juniors
I voted after 12 hours and I'm the only one on Brails?

Sure WK isn't the attacking player we would love to have but BB isn't the attacking player... at all.

Defensively BB is greater than WK in tackle count but WK isn't a slouch in positioning and taking a kick under pressure.