What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Worst Ever Thread (AKA Grouch's dumping ground)

TruSaint

Referee
How is it objectively wrong? Creagh was our captain at a time when we lacked leadership, and it would appear that according to forum consensus, he bears no responsibility for this lack of leadership.

I can accept that it's poor form bagging a club captain, and I regret that, but if that were a general standard we'd not have many threads left in this place.

Mate,

Look at this sentence and tell me if you still believe it. From your OP.

" I would go as far as to say that the losing culture that Creagh bought to the team continues to have an influence. "

If there is one thing Creagh didnt bring was a losing culture. He doesn't deserve that tag IMHO. A great leader in many ways, a winner and as I said a club legend. Role model for mine.

Agree to disagree on this one. If only we had more like him...

SBD82

Coach
Mate,

Look at this sentence and tell me if you still believe it. From your OP.

" I would go as far as to say that the losing culture that Creagh bought to the team continues to have an influence. "

If there is one thing Creagh didnt bring was a losing culture. He doesn't deserve that tag IMHO. A great leader in many ways, a winner and as I said a club legend. Role model for mine.

Agree to disagree on this one. If only we had more like him...
Yeah... I took a bit of poetic license there huh?

I'll never agree about the "club legend" nor the "role model". But since I'm not going to go into why I think these things, it's probably not fair to continue arguing.

slippery5

Juniors
I
Given that Creagh wasn’t captain of NSW at the time, the whole Hodges v Creagh thing is a completely moot point when discussing his captaincy skills.

Further to that, sometimes being the one to walk away from a fight shows more leadership than bringing yourself down to the level of a thug.

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
Given that Creagh wasn’t captain of NSW at the time, the whole Hodges v Creagh thing is a completely moot point when discussing his captaincy skills.

Further to that, sometimes being the one to walk away from a fight shows more leadership than bringing yourself down to the level of a thug.
When you go to war (SOO] it doesn't matter if you're the General, or a private, you expect the one standing beside you to hold their ground, if not, they should be never considered or stripped of any leadership roles.
Each to themselves, I just cringe every time someone brings it up.LOL

BennyV

Referee
By the logic displayed in this thread, Mary has shown fantastic leadership over the past 2 years and should be applauded amongst our best.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
When you go to war (SOO] it doesn't matter if you're the General, or a private, you expect the one standing beside you to hold their ground, if not, they should be never considered or stripped of any leadership roles.
Creagh’s efforts in setting up the program to get young players educated and set up for life after footy is a far better demonstration of leadership skills than a fist fight could ever be.

ouryears

Bench
Yeah... I took a bit of poetic license there huh?

I'll never agree about the "club legend" nor the "role model". But since I'm not going to go into why I think these things, it's probably not fair to continue arguing.
So they took Smith, Costigan, and Beau Scott out of the team, and gave Creagh the captaincy.
Then they put Price as coach.

Gasnier left, and who else.....a few others who the club decided not to make decent offers to, so they left.

And a Ben Creagh is meant to hold the ship together?

Come on, get real.

ouryears

Bench
So the toughness of a player is judged on what fists he may be prepared to throw....
Perhaps had it turned into a punch up and spilled over the sideline, players in head locks punching the crap out of each other, while kids and mums look on.....then would you call Creagh a man and a hero?

avocado

Juniors
Creagh, gave 110% every time but wasn't a good captain. Should have knocked Hodges out after what he did to bmoz. Would never have had a better excuse.

Widdop. Gives 80% most of the time and not a good captain. Just not inspirational.

Barrett. Shit player with no vision and captained a team of superstars to mediocrity.

Hornby. The best. By a mile. Ticked all the boxes.

slippery5

Juniors
So the toughness of a player is judged on what fists he may be prepared to throw....
Perhaps had it turned into a punch up and spilled over the sideline, players in head locks punching the crap out of each other, while kids and mums look on.....then would you call Creagh a man and a hero?
No one is talking toughness, I'm saying I wouldn't count on him having my back If we were in the trenches together, something you should expect from your captain. Obviously you don't get it & want to turn this around in to some kind of thuggery. God forbid he didn't have to help defend the halfback because he might of ran away instead of standing his ground which might have spilled over the side line.
FYI. I think he was a great player & as others are quick to say "a club legend". I leave it there.

BennyV

Referee
Wait, Ben Creagh? That Ben Creagh? Hero of 2010, Legend of St George? That Ben Creagh?

One of the greatest men who ever lived. That's what we're saying, right? That's what the thread's about?
Yeah, craziness!

The guy lead by example every time he stepped into the field. Just because he didn’t get in the refs face a la Cameron Smith or drag people by the ear a la James Graham doesn’t mean he was a poor captain. Nor does the fact that he lead a reserve grade quality team with a d grade coach. The guy hated losing, he was the one who did most of the hard yards through those years and that’s not mentioning his off-field work around the club.

And on that - James Graham is an exceptional leader on the field, but IMO he was terrible as captain against the bulldogs. There, I said it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm saying I wouldn't count on him having my back If we were in the trenches together, something you should expect from your captain.
Not sure why it’s not percolating through for you, but Creagh wasn’t captain in that incidence, so it wasn’t his role to do that.

It’s pretty simple, really..

slippery5

Juniors
Not sure why it’s not percolating through for you, but Creagh wasn’t captain in that incidence, so it wasn’t his role to do that.

It’s pretty simple, really..
Who cares if he was captain or not, if you had that on your CV you wouldn't get a 2nd interview for the job!!! But obviously you don't think a CAPTAIN should "lead the way" but instead should "run away"
Have you not had any other supporters stir you up over that incident??
I have the greatest respect in B.C as a player & person outside of football, but was not captain material in "my mind", obviously that is not percolating through to you.

ouryears

Bench
No one is talking toughness, I'm saying I wouldn't count on him having my back If we were in the trenches together, something you should expect from your captain. Obviously you don't get it & want to turn this around in to some kind of thuggery. God forbid he didn't have to help defend the halfback because he might of ran away instead of standing his ground which might have spilled over the side line.
FYI. I think he was a great player & as others are quick to say "a club legend". I leave it there.
Understand how you feel slippery, but it was one decision he made in a second, who knows the various thoughts going thru his head, pretty sure he isn’t scared of Hodges.

Could be he didn’t want to make Hodges any uglier than what he is, or he didn’t like his own half back, or he just wanted to keep a clean slate.

Any forward who plays our game is definitely no cat.

I prefer to think he had bigger fish to catch at that moment.