What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers's Terminate Cleary's Contract

BranVan3000

Coach
huh? The warriors didn't have any especially bad seasons under cleary injury wise.

2010:
missing in action… where do you start? The warriors were once again given a tough run with injuries, with key players missing time throughout the year: Captain steve price, new captain simon mannering, brent tate, manu vatuvei, brett seymour, jacob lillyman, jerome ropati, elijah taylor, sam rapira, kevin locke, ian henderson, micheal luck, to name a few.

I believe 09 was the same.

Cleary has very much been riding the success of 2011

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Bad injury tolls have followed Cleary around his entire career as coach. It's no coincidence the best coaches are also the best at keeping their team on the field. Some injuries are unavoidable, particularly bone injuries. But if you have a lot of injuries happening consistently, many outside of games, then you have issues with your training and performance management

That's a nice post, if you ignore that it's factually completely incorrect.

I vividly remember that from 2007-11, we were consistently amongst the clubs who used the least players. Warriors fans will tell you the same.

Gus Gould was a ruthless and heartless coach when at Penrith in the early 90s. Many blame his cruel attitude for the death of Greg "Brandy" Alexander's brother, Ben, in a car accident.

This ludicrous sacking of a coach who had half his first choice team missing for most of the year, shows that Gould is a nasty piece of work.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
2010:

I believe 09 was the same.

Cleary has very much been riding the success of 2011

Half the players you mentioned there missed 3-4 games maximum. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's part and parcel of a collision sport in a demanding competition.

You're not talking about something you know a lot about. 2009 was a god awful year for another reason.

Riding the success of 2011? It was him that achieved it, right? And not the success of a prelim final last year?

If he was being replaced by a proven performer I'd get it, or at least try and get it.

POPEYE

Coach
Gus Gould was a ruthless and heartless coach when at Penrith in the early 90s. Many blame his cruel attitude for the death of Greg "Brandy" Alexander's brother, Ben, in a car accident.

This ludicrous sacking of a coach who had half his first choice team missing for most of the year, shows that Gould is a nasty piece of work.

Fmd, what a dumb f**k thing to say Albert . . . there is a line you can't cross

Pantherjim.

Referee
You really are a twit.

Phil Gould has dropped players before and after Ben Alexander. He did his job...to make Penrith the best team it could be.

Phil Gould did not juice him up with alcohol and hand him

To tie Gould up with that is disgusting.

Bearing in mind that I never suggested Gould should be held accountable for or punished in some way for Ben Alexander's death, what is more "scummy"?

To suggest that two successfully rehabilitated men should be shot to death or to suggest that Phil Gould is indirectly responsible for the tragic death of Ben Alexander?

betcats

Referee

End yourself u geniused merkin

Pantherjim.

Referee
So you're telling someone to top themselves just for having a negative opinion of Gould?

Gee that's not scummy at all is it?

JJ

Immortal

FMD, you are a stupid arsehole, no mistake

At least I'm realistic not like the pennies fans talking about controlling the premiership over the next decade.

Shit club, shit side, shitheads, traitors.;-)

Seriously, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with the Panthers. They're just like Wests, an honest battlers club that is trying to revolutionise themselves as a professional organisation.

Troll status confirmed.

What a geniused thing to say.

Sleep

Juniors
Awful decision. Panthers were building something nice but had a horror injury toll. That isn't on the coach.

Back to square one I guess. Good stuff.

Oh, and LOL! At all the posters in here defending Gould.

I like Gould TBH. He has done well helping the Panthers move into a new phase of professionalism, I seriously wish he came to Wests. Wasn't afraid to make, or back, big calls (Lewis/Gordon/Jennings/Grant,) in what he saw as necessary to help secure long term success.

If for whatever reason Cleary doesn't fit into those plans, it's a fair call to make I guess. There is more than is being reported.

JJ

Immortal
Bearing in mind that I never suggested Gould should be held accountable for or punished in some way for Ben Alexander's death, what is more "scummy"?

To suggest that two successfully rehabilitated men should be shot to death or to suggest that Phil Gould is indirectly responsible for the tragic death of Ben Alexander?

Both are scummy... one was obviously facetious, the other (yours) is flat out disgusting - someone actually did die there

Incorrect

Coach
While none of us saw it coming, I can kind of understand the spin Gould is putting on it so far, assuming he's telling the truth, or at least has convinced himself that he's telling the truth. If he started having doubts about Cleary's future at the Panthers and came to the realisation that he was not going to extend his deal beyond 2016, then bringing the decision to get a new coach in ASAP 1 year ahead of that is probably a good thing. I remember when Denis Fitzgerald announced in the 05/06 off season that Brian Smith's deal would not be renewed beyond 2006... Pretty much as soon as that became public the 06 season was a catastrophe, Smith ended not seeing out the season and Jason Taylor managed to sneak the team in to the 8 on the back of a late season run of wins..

While Griffin is probably not a better coach than Cleary, the same way that Jason Taylor is not a better coach than Brian Smith, this move might yet prove to be the best hope the Panthers have of rejuvenating season 2016. If the players and coach had to go through an off season knowing the coach was just biding his time at the joint it may have proved untenable with results on the field sure to reflect that...

Meanwhile the Today Show this morning reported that Cleary might end up at the Tigers....

Last edited:

Latest posts