What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papalii turns his back on Kiwis

LRC69

Juniors
Its funny how the same guys ringing talk back about this saying he should play for his country of origin (NZ) are probably the same guys that want all people from non english back grounds such as lebanese/Asian etc to pledge their allegiance to Australia for everything.

Seems like its OK to love your heritage as long as its an english speaking western back ground.... any others must become Aussies and eat vegemite.

If a kid who grew up here chooses to play soccer or Tennis for Croatia everyone winges and says they should play for Australia..they are aussies...pledge allegiance to the flag etc.

nqcowboy87

Bench
he moved here when he was 6 played all his football here, what junior development did nzrl put into him

and if hes lived here since he was 16 hes pretty much australian, my cousins where born in texas and they lived here the same amount time as him and theyre more aussie than most people

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Prostitutes must be more expensive in NZ. Its serious money. As far as I understand it SOO money is 50k a game where representing NZ is 3k.

Meth

Staff member
Yep, "100%". I've said many times in fact.

Thanks.

I respect that, even though I don't want New Zealands playing Origin. To me, it's for Australians.

But at least you're consistent and reasonable in your view.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
So let me get this straight - Kiwis here would have had no problem with Papalii representing NZ AFTER he's already represented QLD, but have massive problems with him switching to QLD after playing for the junior kiwis?

Right.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Thanks.

I respect that, even though I don't want New Zealands playing Origin. To me, it's for Australians.

But at least you're consistent and reasonable in your view.

I've always held the view that the concept of State of Origin is about the QRL and the NSWRL. It matters not where the player was born, but what system put the time and money into making them the player they are today. It's that organisation's right to showcase what they helped create.

I can't really see them ever changing the eligibility rules however.

So let me get this straight - Kiwis here would have had no problem with Papalii representing NZ AFTER he's already represented QLD, but have massive problems with him switching to QLD after playing for the junior kiwis?

Right.

Its fine by me if Any aussie who plays for the warriors represents Auckland in an Auckland
V Wellington rep match and then goes off to play for Australia if they like. No dramas whatsoever

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Its fine by me if Any aussie who plays for the warriors represents Auckland in an Auckland
V Wellington rep match and then goes off to play for Australia if they like. No dramas whatsoever

I think you've missed my point. Most that are blowing up here think that Papalii has turned his back on NZ, but were he to rep NZ now it would actually be him turning his back on QLD and Australia.

I get the whole "letter of intent" rage, but even then - he'd already repped QLD.

Meth

Staff member
I've always held the view that the concept of State of Origin is about the QRL and the NSWRL. It matters not where the player was born, but what system put the time and money into making them the player they are today. It's that organisation's right to showcase what they helped create.

I can't really see them ever changing the eligibility rules however.

I suppose I could get in behind that. It would be better than having this argument every month or two.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I suppose I could get in behind that. It would be better than having this argument every month or two.

Yep, but as I said, I just can't see it happening. For all the hype the ARLC has turned out to be much ado about nothing with the same dinosaurs and their archaic views being perpetuated. Change is clearly not on the agenda.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yep, but as I said, I just can't see it happening. For all the hype the ARLC has turned out to be much ado about nothing with the same dinosaurs and their archaic views being perpetuated. Change is clearly not on the agenda.

It'd definitely the easiest clear solution that would benefit SOO, the international game and would please most fans.

hutch

First Grade
Oh sure you wanker..

2 wrongs = right ?

I don't think anyone believes that 2 wrongs equals a right, but papalli is not necessarily a wrong. The choice is his to make, he has links to both countries and has every right to choose Australia as he is also an Australian.

The majority of players with links to NZ and Australia choose NZ and they always will. Why do kiwis get so precious over these things? Will you be as upset when NZ pick Konrad Hurrell in the next few years? Or we're you upset when you picked other so called new zealanders despite dodgy links such as Webb, fien, Ben Roberts, frank Pritchard, fui fui, jake Webster, josh hoffman?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I don't think anyone believes that 2 wrongs equals a right, but papalli is not necessarily a wrong. The choice is his to make, he has links to both countries and has every right to choose Australia as he is also an Australian.

The majority of players with links to NZ and Australia choose NZ and they always will. Why do kiwis get so precious over these things? Will you be as upset when NZ pick Konrad Hurrell in the next few years? Or we're you upset when you picked other so called new zealanders despite dodgy links such as Webb, fien, Ben Roberts, frank Pritchard, fui fui, jake Webster, josh hoffman?

Head in the sand. it's obvious that if he could he would play for NZ over Aus if it wasn't for SOO, that's what the problem is. In the future even more younger players who would rather play for NZ over Aus eg Tamou and Papalii will end up declearing for Aus just so they can play SOO.

Hutch, I certainly dont blame the players in this, and that includes Webby and Fein.

Agreed. This joke of a system needs to be cleared up so that players pick a certain jersey for the right reasons - whether that jersey be black or green and gold. There is no way that the lure of a state jersey should be deciding someone's international eligibility. There is no way Tamou, Kasiano, Teo, Webb and Fein should have ever even had the choice. Papalii is a different matter - eligible for both in my eyes, but shouldn't have flip floped between countries over the past 2 years.

If Kasiano is the next to go then the international game (and the world cup) will be dealt a death blow. That'll be NZ's 2 best props and best 2nd row prospect gone in the space of 6 months. The potential farce of Tamou, Kasiano, Papalii and Teo lining up to face the kiwis at the world cup would be the final nail in the coffin of the international game's credibility.

Juju

Juniors
He can't even remember living in NZ lol.

What if a player was born in Malta and moved to Australia when they were one and was entirely developed by NSWRL and an NRL club while having a connection to NSW. Should they be robbed of playing for the state they feel they belong to because of such ludicrous rules.

Here are the facts. Josh Papalii was entirely developed by QRL and the Raiders, Papalii represented Queensland at school boy level and uttered the quote about being entirely Queenslander. Then the hopeless wankers at New Zealand Rugby League who cannot produce a decent player themselves started putting the hooks in. Trying to pressure him based on his family connections with New Zealand. The right decision has been made. He is now going to play rep league with the people who developed him and who he actually remembers living in their country.

All the kiwi supporters in this thread are being precious. Why do they want someone playing for them who literally cannot remember living in their country ? That they haven't put a red cent into developing.

Papalii just bleeds for the Queensland jersey. You must be so proud to have him in the selectors thoughts.
H
"I know now ... I'm Kiwi 100 per cent," Papalii said.

"I went on a tour with Junior Kiwis a few months ago and the bond amongst the boys was too strong. There was a lot of love there amongst my brothers and it's something I'm desperate to be a part of again."

Also a 6 year old not being able to remember leaving somewhere. Turn it up.

You can't defend this.

Snappy

Coach
The NRL, ARL, QRL, NSWRL and any other league body are run by a bunch of c**k smoking amateurs. I will not waste another minute watching or discussing nor a dollar more supporting the 13 man game! Rugby Union is a far more professional outfit which I hope stamps out league and steals all of its talent as it approaches the next Olympic games just as those incestious canetoads and cockroaches did the Kiwis.

:nwave: don't come back now.

Tantrum of week just edging out Skeep's effort from the dogs souffs game thread.