What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Eels - Cricket - Reaching out - Indian community

T-Boon

Coach
We have a big Indian community in our local area. I think we should set a goal as a club to reach out to them through cricket and try to get them rooting for the Eels. Have cricket games inside the stadium, get them coming to the stadium meeting the players get some competition going and sign them up as Eels season ticket holders.

Gronk

Staff member
Federation of Indian Association of NSW celebrated India Day to mark the 69th Indian Independence Day on August 15, 2015 in Parramatta which was attended by over 10000 people.
Starting at 1 PM, the event culminated at 7:30 PM with a spectacular firework display.
To keep the people engaged there were many business stalls, food stalls, fun rides, kids’ rides and much more. A variety of performances including singing, dancing, tributes to India were presented on the occasion.

Apart from entertainment there were a huge range of activities on offer including the Parramatta Eels’ hosting a ball throwing competition , face painting , bumper cars and other games.

http://publictelegraph.com/fian-celebrated-india-day-in-parramatta/

T-Boon

Coach
Don't India come out here to play tests this year? Lets invite the team out to use Kings Oval (do we own that? If not we should buy it). Put them up in the Parramatta Ritz Hotel.

strider

Post Whore
Don't India come out here to play tests this year? Lets invite the team out to use Kings Oval (do we own that? If not we should buy it). Put them up in the Parramatta Ritz Hotel.
We dont even own the stadium, forget kings oval

TheParraboy

Staff member
We have a big Indian community in our local area. I think we should set a goal as a club to reach out to them through cricket and try to get them rooting for the Eels. Have cricket games inside the stadium, get them coming to the stadium meeting the players get some competition going and sign them up as Eels season ticket holders.

As time goes on, more and more non league fans will be living in and around Parramatta, already a huge diveristy

Its very tough though, Indians love their cricket like nothing else. It is their No1, No2 and No3 favourite sport

How to change them, or convert them into Parra fans, Parra members don't know, but I think you may be on the right path as it may have to include some cricket tactics of sorts

yes India are touring here, doubt this time around their schedule will be open to come out to Parra, will need to be planned well earlier. They are here in a couple of weeks for a 3 game T20 series around the country

Angry_eel

First Grade
Hi T-Boon,
I'm Indian, a parra fan for 18 years and a member. I know a lot of other Indian parra fans but usually they are spread out.
My 2cents here: You don't need to reach the Indian through cricket. That would be a great opening but it doesn't help Rugby League in anyway.

I feel the club getting involved in cultural events(parramasala, diwali mela, etc) and going out to local primary schools etc is enough to build the momentum. Doing events/player visits in Harris Park will be massive as well.

One of the problems is that a lot of Indians living in and around Parra are 1) International students 2) Young families who have recently arrived, both of these communities are hard to count as future members as they are in transition and will eventually move from the area.

T-Boon

Coach
My 2cents here: You don't need to reach the Indian through cricket. That would be a great opening but it doesn't help Rugby League in anyway.

Thanks for the reply and giving your perspective.
Given that our stadium is usually about half full, I think that club does need to do this kind of things. Are we happy with 12k crowds?
I understand that the club is doing some things and always has (hospital visits, open training sessions), I just have a feeling that it is a very half hearted, budget effort.
I would also try to get more of the chinese community to the ground.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Thanks for the reply and giving your perspective.
Given that our stadium is usually about half full, I think that club does need to do this kind of things. Are we happy with 12k crowds?
I understand that the club is doing some things and always has (hospital visits, open training sessions), I just have a feeling that it is a very half hearted, budget effort.
I would also try to get more of the chinese community to the ground.

Lets see how we go with the new stadium. Hopefully the uplift in the quality should raise the crowds. It would obviously help if we improve on the field too though.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Boony, the reality is that the biggest factor that affects crowds is team performance.

If the team is performing poorly, people will not spend their hard-earned money to go watch them play, when they can simply watch it from home, or the pub.

T-Boon

Coach
Boony, the reality is that the biggest factor that affects crowds is team performance.

If the team is performing poorly, people will not spend their hard-earned money to go watch them play, when they can simply watch it from home, or the pub.

Acknowledged.
However, the aim should be to increase crowds for every point you are on the win/loss curve. So if you think of it in terms of those economics curves your crowds increase or decrease as you slide up and down the win loss curve but the aim of the club (and the NRL generally) should be to push the overall crowd curve up. i.e. the worst team should average 15k rather than 10k. The top 3 teams should average 25k rather than 19k.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Acknowledged.
However, the aim should be to increase crowds for every point you are on the win/loss curve. So if you think of it in terms of those economics curves your crowds increase or decrease as you slide up and down the win loss curve but the aim of the club (and the NRL generally) should be to push the overall crowd curve up. i.e. the worst team should average 15k rather than 10k. The top 3 teams should average 25k rather than 19k.

I truly believe all we need is one good season; one competitive season, and we will see strong crowds.

The Eels are heavily-supported, and with a brand new stadium, we can expect decent crowds.

But it all starts with the team stringing together good performances.

T-Boon

Coach
Here's an idea. Lets target everyone!

Yep. Do it smart (like getting the Indians interested in Parra through their love of cricket). Could probably get more women interested in coming to the game if there was fashion dress up days like they have at the races. We should have a formal day where everyone turns up in their best tuxedo.

Latest posts