What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Fans Throw Coins

El Diablo

Post Whore
Snoop said:
No, because answering it would incriminate you one way or the other. To say that coin throwers should have action taken against them would go against what all the Eels supporters have been saying here. On the other hand, to say that coin throwers are just having harmless fun would void your Watmough story.

you're not playing with a full deck

incriminate me? lol

i have said nothing about the incident

Snoop

Coach
Bazal said:
IIRC he was refused a release to Penrith after we gave him permission to negotiate, something about them not paying enough of the contract. That was pure business. He was also refused permission to negotiate with Manly. From memory they were the only clubs with the room to get him, I don't claim that my memory is perfect however.

My point was that Fitzy was just playing out his Manly hatred.

Bazal said:
As for the second comment, he was still receiving payment from Parramatta when he was playing for Wee Waa, he then signed a contract with St Helens. I fail to see how that is turning his back on a truckload of cash...

I must admit my memory of what happened is great either but what kind of a sh*t contract did you guys offer him if he could not turn up to training and games and still get paid. If he was getting paid however then I retract my cash comment.

Bazal

Post Whore
Snoop said:

I must admit my memory of what happened is great either but what kind of a sh*t contract did you guys offer him if he could not turn up to training and games and still get paid. If he was getting paid however then I retract my cash comment.

I believe that because he took personal time (like, for example, Nathan Cayless us doing at the moment) he was still being paid. I could be wrong, and I don't claim to be 100% sure on the payment or length of time he was being paid, but I believe that because it was personal time he was receiving some sort of wage from Parramatta. Besides which, he was almost immediately shopping for a club to take his contract, so he hardly turned his back on the money.

eelsta

Bench
CharlieF said:
If Brett Stewart truly did not want to play, we would be upset, but not to the point of pure hatred. I'm sure that if something like that did happen, it would be handled a lot better not only by Manly, but by just about any other club.

and the treatment of monoghan would have been handled bette by any club in the nrl...people in glass houses:lol:

Hellsy

Immortal
EVERY club has f**kwit supporters... EVERY CLUB.

I cannot think of a ground that I have been too (including Parra) that I have not run into or witnessed something that was just totally pathetic.

NO CLUB is innocent and EVERY CLUB has f**kwits that call themselves "supporters" but really just want to cause sh*t

Downie

Guest Moderator
Bazal said:
Firstly-Lyon was not just employed, he was under contract. He asked for personal time for reasons I forget, something about a miscarriage or some such that turned out to be a lie, and then showed up at a Manly game before formally asking for a release from that contract. Would you say that is the proper way to go about it? I think not.

Why the f**k would he lie about a miscarriage? You'd never lie about something that damaging to loved ones, plus there'd be a ton of people who could of called him out on it (people would've seen his missus was pregnant).

The story I've heard is that he asked for the match off against the Bulldogs cos of the miscarriage but Smith said no. Imagine if Cayless had been denied time off for his mother's death.

Hellsy

Immortal
Actually I know a person who lied through a pregnancy and a miscarriage...... not saying this is what happened at all, but people do lie about things like that....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Downie said:
Why the f**k would he lie about a miscarriage? You'd never lie about something that damaging to loved ones, plus there'd be a ton of people who could of called him out on it (people would've seen his missus was pregnant).

The story I've heard is that he asked for the match off against the Bulldogs cos of the miscarriage but Smith said no. Imagine if Cayless had been denied time off for his mother's death.

you don't know what happened so why assume ?

you don't know how far gone is partner was, if in fact she was, you don't know if there were visible signs

what you may have been told was a "story"

what does it have to do with Cayless ?

don't let the truth get in the way

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
badav said:
Poopoo escobar. Someones already said it to you but you need to get a grip on reality. If you feel like you have the right to question other peoples courage why dont you lace up a boot and get out there yourself.

I played footy mate. I was too small for the forwards and too slow for the backs and just plain not good enough to play any higher than park footy at my best position, which was halfback.

There are plenty of blokes that aren't good enough for NRL that have loads of ticker - Premier League's full of them. So is Jim Beam Cup and the various A Grade and country Group Comps.

For my part, I didn't have the genes to play in the NRL but I do have the genes (as does just about anyone) to carry a pack and fire a rifle, so I joined the Australian Regular Army (fulltime) Infantry Corps.

Don't assume that everyone who bags players on the internet is a gutless loser because it just shows us all that that's how you see yourself. And maybe you should think before questioning someone else's courage - Jamie Lyon was doubtless a better player than me by the time he was 15 but as long as I've made the decision to defend my country with my life I'll have the right to bag anyone who lets his mates down and goes back on his word.

And anyway, Jamie Lyon's not the first player to leave Parra for another club; he's not even the first to leave Parra for Manly. But he's the first ex-Eel since I started following Parra that's had an entire stadium of people chanting "Lyon's a W**ker!"

Don't pretend he's the same as any other off-contract player - he let us down in a big way (remember, back when he left he was actually a pretty decent player). The crowd's reaction is proof that Jamie f**ked us over big-time.

CharlieF

Juniors
Poupou Escobar said:
I played footy mate. I was too small for the forwards and too slow for the backs and just plain not good enough to play any higher than park footy at my best position, which was halfback.

There are plenty of blokes that aren't good enough for NRL that have loads of ticker - Premier League's full of them. So is Jim Beam Cup and the various A Grade and country Group Comps.

For my part, I didn't have the genes to play in the NRL but I do have the genes (as does just about anyone) to carry a pack and fire a rifle, so I joined the Australian Regular Army (fulltime) Infantry Corps.

Don't assume that everyone who bags players on the internet is a gutless loser because it just shows us all that that's how you see yourself. And maybe you should think before questioning someone else's courage - Jamie Lyon was doubtless a better player than me by the time he was 15 but as long as I've made the decision to defend my country with my life I'll have the right to bag anyone who lets his mates down and goes back on his word.

And anyway, Jamie Lyon's not the first player to leave Parra for another club; he's not even the first to leave Parra for Manly. But he's the first ex-Eel since I started following Parra that's had an entire stadium of people chanting "Lyon's a W**ker!"

Don't pretend he's the same as any other off-contract player - he let us down in a big way (remember, back when he left he was actually a pretty decent player). The crowd's reaction is proof that Jamie f**ked us over big-time.

Still no excuse to take it personal with a player.

Ask yourself the question, "Why were they (Lyon and ex-eels) mates in the first place?" Answer: Because of Rugby League. Leave it at that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
CharlieF said:
Still no excuse to take it personal with a player.

Come on dude, this is rugby league - the white trash soap opera. I don't need an excuse to make it personal. In fact, I think the personal rivalries are the only thing missing from the game these days. Even Origin's boring without Wally and the old Queenslanders of the 80's and early 90's. They all seem like decent blokes now.

Let you in on a secret - I've actually followed the Maroons ever since the mid 90's because there was never any Parra players in the NSW team and the Blues all seemed like such a bunch of w**kers compared to the Maroons.

Ask yourself the question, "Why were they (Lyon and ex-eels) mates in the first place?" Answer: Because of Rugby League. Leave it at that.

Mate, I enjoy hating Lyon. Obviously so do most of the Parra fans. If you beat us somewhere in the finals it'll be all the more painful and likewise all the sweeter if we manage to smash you guys.

Remember 2005's semi final? Remember we destroyed you guys (but worryingly conceded 20 points)? IIRC that was our first finals win since we beat Brisbane in the 2001 preliminary final. The fact that it was Manly meant very little to me, to be honest. You guys had been crap for so long I just didn't care.

But now the rivalry's back. Coin-throwing idiots aside, it can only be good for the game and both club's crowd figures in particular.

And I genuinely believe Jamie Lyon has a weak character. As do many others. Even him winning a Premiership won't change that. He's a high-profile villain the game needs and I honestly don't believe it's ever going to change, whatever spin Manly fans and officials try to put on his desertion.

Garts

Bench
I understand why Parra fans hate him, I would have booed him too if I was one of them (thank f**k I am not though).

CharlieF

Juniors
Poupou Escobar said:
Come on dude, this is rugby league - the white trash soap opera. I don't need an excuse to make it personal. In fact, I think the personal rivalries are the only thing missing from the game these days. Even Origin's boring without Wally and the old Queenslanders of the 80's and early 90's. They all seem like decent blokes now.

Let you in on a secret - I've actually followed the Maroons ever since the mid 90's because there was never any Parra players in the NSW team and the Blues all seemed like such a bunch of w**kers compared to the Maroons.

Mate, I enjoy hating Lyon. Obviously so do most of the Parra fans. If you beat us somewhere in the finals it'll be all the more painful and likewise all the sweeter if we manage to smash you guys.

Remember 2005's semi final? Remember we destroyed you guys (but worryingly conceded 20 points)? IIRC that was our first finals win since we beat Brisbane in the 2001 preliminary final. The fact that it was Manly meant very little to me, to be honest. You guys had been crap for so long I just didn't care.

But now the rivalry's back. Coin-throwing idiots aside, it can only be good for the game and both club's crowd figures in particular.

And I genuinely believe Jamie Lyon has a weak character. As do many others. Even him winning a Premiership won't change that. He's a high-profile villain the game needs and I honestly don't believe it's ever going to change, whatever spin Manly fans and officials try to put on his desertion.

He's not a high-profile villain the game needs and I honestly don't believe it's ever going to change, whatever spin Parra fans and officials try to put on his desertion

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
CharlieF said:
He's not a high-profile villain the game needs and I honestly don't believe it's ever going to change, whatever spin Parra fans and officials try to put on his desertion

So you're saying he's not, in fact, a w**ker?

Mate, how could 20 thousand screaming fans be wrong?

Pull your head in.

Even fans of other clubs have vilified him.

Being a Manly fan you should be used to being hated. I thought you sick f**ks got off on it?

Be glad the universe hates Jamie (sorry, James) Lyon. Because without him you've only got Matai and Watmough. All the rest seem like decent blokes.

Dutchy

Immortal
Because without him you've only got Matai and Watmough. All the rest seem like decent blokes.

You ever met Anthony? Hes a top bloke, that AVO his ex got is absolute garbage. Anyone that knows him should know he is not the type of guy she said he is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dutchy said:
You ever met Anthony? Hes a top bloke, that AVO his ex got is absolute garbage. Anyone that knows him should know he is not the type of guy she said he is.

Mate don't be fooled by his charisma.

I've worked with violent standover men and other assorted 'tough guys' since I left school and many of them were 'top blokes'. I mean it - a lot of them would do anything for a mate, including cop a flogging just so you wouldn't have to cop it alone.

But plenty of 'top blokes' have beaten women before. I've seen it first hand.

All it takes for a bloke to hurt or threaten his girl is a propensity for violence, some deep-seated insecurity (like the kind of insecurity that might motivate a midget to work hard enough to make it as a forward in the NRL ;-) ) and 'old fashioned values'. The three are a lethal cocktail.

And don't assume that violence against women = cowardice. It's a common misconception that men who use violence against women are cowards who wouldn't dream of attacking another man. That's bulls**t. Most of these kinds of men see violence against women as no different to physically disciplining children.

I certainly don't think Anthony Watmough is a coward. To make it as far as he has (he's one of the top back rowers in the game) despite being a small man takes incredible courage and determination but don't discount insecurity as a motivator. It's pretty common amongst professional sportsmen.

Now it could be that Watmough's ex really is making things up, but it doesn't have the ring of truth to it. It's unlikely that a woman would make something like that up in the first place (though I'll concede it does happen), it is doubly unlikely when he's the father of her child and even less likely when he offers the kind of financial security that a Manly player can provide.

Far more likely is that a muscle-bound midget spends his life trying to get the respect he felt he never got as a child, and after a few drinks his self-control goes out the window and he resorts to violence and the threat thereof to get that respect from the people he feels owe him.

RalthFilthy

Juniors
Snoop said:

No he wasn't. It was obvious to anyone at the time that he wanted to join his buddy Crusher at Manly. Then Lyon's followers started saying it was rubbish and he should just be released from his contract to get on with his life, all the trauma of living in a city blah blah blah. Parra were made to look like heartless bastards because they wouldn't release him.
Fitzy then said he'll release him to anyone except Manly, effectively calling Lyon's bluff. His only option then was to run off to England until he could sign the contract that we all knew he would. None of that stopped him from using Parra to up his price when he came back either, stupid Manly.

As said earlier, this was all after he convinced his mate Cannings to come to Parra. The guy is scum.