What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra team for the Lee Hopkins shield.

why the hate for reddy?
he is the only one scoring tries....

MITS and Colonel and Stagger keep saying these kids are not ready...
how do we know unless we give them a shot?
as others have said they cant be doing any worse than others...

Hagan seems to be a bulldog with a bark and no bite..

I for one pin alot of this on Hagan, not the players themselves

You get down to the Lower Grades and watch them play and after doing it for maybe 7 or so years and seeing players who have made it to firsts and those that haven't and how they play, you get a bit of a feel for these things.

You can keep saying all you want about form and the like, but if you bring these players into a first grade side that has an attitude problem, where it doesn't commit itself for the entire game, those traits are going to rub off, on some of these kids that could be a bad thing, I think in Tony Williams case it would be catastrophic for the player and the club.

HevyDevy

Coach
why the hate for reddy?
he is the only one scoring tries....

Hagan seems to be a bulldog with a bark and no bite..

I for one pin alot of this on Hagan, not the players themselves

There is a difference between making a try and scoring a try. Being given the ball two metres out from the line with nobody in front of you doesn't make you a superstar. At least Guru can run over the top of people to score.

Reddy can't tackle, offers nothing in attack and is a liability in general. Other than that he goes alright ...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
After Colonel and Stagger talking up these young guys, it is refreshing to see you don't think they should be thrown to the wolves. We have some talented players but none seem overly ready and the way some people like to discard players, they could end up like so many others. The disturbing thing is that if the current players can't get the job done, I doubt 1 or 2 young players are going to be able to turn our season around. That is too much pressure too soon.

The Colonel

Immortal

I have no issue with giving some youngsters a go but probably the youngsters who have had more exposure than playing against 20 yr olds. I think there are other players who deserve a shot though. Read MITS report in the Wenty thread - Mannah reckons the step up from NYC to Prems was huge.

Bring a few prems up first and let Mannah and Williams find their feet in Prems.

The Colonel

Immortal
After Colonel and Stagger talking up these young guys, it is refreshing to see you don't think they should be thrown to the wolves. We have some talented players but none seem overly ready and the way some people like to discard players, they could end up like so many others. The disturbing thing is that if the current players can't get the job done, I doubt 1 or 2 young players are going to be able to turn our season around. That is too much pressure too soon.

No issue with talking these kids up. The talent is evident in a lot of them. Difference is the gap between NYC and First grade.

Sure there are plenty of other kids being given a go at other clubs but they are back in the NYC inside a week. Sonny Fai, Eddie Paea, Obe Geia and Russell Packer are the only kids I am aware of that have been given a shot from NYC and Russell is the only player in a first grade line up this week and this is his debut.

sooperdooper

First Grade
You get down to the Lower Grades and watch them play and after doing it for maybe 7 or so years and seeing players who have made it to firsts and those that haven't and how they play, you get a bit of a feel for these things.

You can keep saying all you want about form and the like, but if you bring these players into a first grade side that has an attitude problem, where it doesn't commit itself for the entire game, those traits are going to rub off, on some of these kids that could be a bad thing, I think in Tony Williams case it would be catastrophic for the player and the club.

mate have been watching them and know a few of the boys. It is not an attitude problem with Tony.... it is the clubs attitude towards him. Much like Feleti

Tony is good enough, to good for his own comp and would handle it if given the chance.

sooperdooper

First Grade
I have no issue with giving some youngsters a go but probably the youngsters who have had more exposure than playing against 20 yr olds. I think there are other players who deserve a shot though. Read MITS report in the Wenty thread - Mannah reckons the step up from NYC to Prems was huge.

Bring a few prems up first and let Mannah and Williams find their feet in Prems.

of course mannah was going to say that, what did you expect him to say? it was simple give me an origin jersey?
I dont beleive in this whole have to go from NYC to Prems, our club is the only one doing it...

sooperdooper

First Grade
No issue with talking these kids up. The talent is evident in a lot of them. Difference is the gap between NYC and First grade.

Sure there are plenty of other kids being given a go at other clubs but they are back in the NYC inside a week. Sonny Fai, Eddie Paea, Obe Geia and Russell Packer are the only kids I am aware of that have been given a shot from NYC and Russell is the only player in a first grade line up this week and this is his debut.

joseph paulo? Haka Nani?
both stars in lower grades and doing well in nrl...

Stagger eel

Staff member
mate have been watching them and know a few of the boys. It is not an attitude problem with Tony.... it is the clubs attitude towards him. Much like Feleti

Tony is good enough, to good for his own comp and would handle it if given the chance.

yeah..it's all the clubs fault isn't it...:roll:

FMD!! that's the lamest most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard in my life, lucky your not running the asylum, they'd never know how to feed themselves or dress themselves...

the clubs attitude towards him... FMD!! now I've heard everything.

Stagger eel

Staff member
of course mannah was going to say that, what did you expect him to say? it was simple give me an origin jersey?
I dont beleive in this whole have to go from NYC to Prems, our club is the only one doing it...

next time I chat to Timmy Mannah I'll make sure you're standing next to him so you can talk for him...

Look I rate Tony, I really do. But he has yet to dominate an entire game for the Club. If he does that, then maybe 2 or 3 more, I will agree he needs to be put in the NRL, at this time he seems to hang back and not do a lot, untill the last 20 minutes.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if our NYC side went for 80 minutes it would be something to see.

Stagger eel

Staff member
joseph paulo? Haka Nani?

Kris Keating and Taulima Tautai??

infact if we're that ordinary about developing players why couldn't we persist with having an older player like Etu or Iwi Hauraki in fg ahead of Taulima??

The Colonel

Immortal
joseph paulo? Haka Nani?

Heka Nanai has come in due to injury to both Utai firstly and now El Masri - he has done well no doubt. And wing is definitely a lot easier than the forwards. And as for Joseph Paulo - he has definitely done more than Tony Williams in terms of starring for Penrith.

But when El Masri,Luke Lewis and Trent Waterhouse return I can guarantee they will be back in NYC.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The funny thing about it, there isn't a person here who doesn't rate Williams, infact I've stuck my neck out big time and compared him to SBW when he's in full flight, he's an outstanding player with enormous abilities, but to just throw them a first grade jumpers because he does the odd amazing thing per match in the NYC whilst he goes missing for the rest of it, is ludicrious at the best of times.

even an uninspiring, boring as batsh*t player like Wags or Lowrie who make 20 tackles and 10 hit ups per match will contribute more at this stage...

HevyDevy

Coach
If we're going to be serious about this it has to be the David Woods Cup, even if his best days were behind him by the time he arrived at Penrith.

The Colonel

Immortal
Kris Keating and Taulima Tautai??

infact if we're that ordinary about developing players why couldn't we persist with having an older player like Etu or Iwi Hauraki in fg ahead of Taulima??

In defence of both players they have actually played a good part of the past two seasons in the Premier League squad.

Latest posts