What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Holden Cup & Junior Reps Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Absolutely mate. Being from the city I really hate when people say that people from the country are tougher and all of that, it's a load of crap.

Our out of town players certainly did step up yesterday. I've had high appraisals of Jesse Cronin ever simce his first game with us against the Roosters and yesterday he became my favourite junior, he had a very high work rate and I can't remember him making an error in attack. He came off the field covered head to toe in mud and had a cut on his left cheek. Fantastic player.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm from the city but I met plenty of country boys in the army and they're definitely tougher. They're dumber too, or maybe just less interested in nerd stuff.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'm from the city but I met plenty of country boys in the army and they're definitely tougher. They're dumber too, or maybe just less interested in nerd stuff.

I was born in western sydney but on a farm... I find being outside a lot makes you more hands on. Same as a blue collar worker too a white collar.

Dumber is a strange word. One might be good on computers and have a high IQ but socially akward whilst the other might make people feel good about themself and good company-So who is smarter/dumber?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was born in western sydney but on a farm... I find being outside a lot makes you more hands on. Same as a blue collar worker too a white collar.

Dumber is a strange word. One might be good on computers and have a high IQ but socially akward whilst the other might make people feel good about themself and good company-So who is smarter/dumber?

The socially awkward one with the high IQ. That's what 'intelligence' means. If you have to qualify intelligence with some kind of prefix (e.g. social intelligence, musical intelligence, kinesthetic intelligence) then it's not what we're talking about when we talk about intelligence.

Anyway, intelligence is overrated. Hard work and interpersonal skills are what get people ahead in life. So dummies shouldn't feel offended when intelligence is discussed.

Parra47

Juniors
Absolutely mate. Being from the city I really hate when people say that people from the country are tougher and all of that, it's a load of crap.

Our out of town players certainly did step up yesterday. I've had high appraisals of Jesse Cronin ever simce his first game with us against the Roosters and yesterday he became my favourite junior, he had a very high work rate and I can't remember him making an error in attack. He came off the field covered head to toe in mud and had a cut on his left cheek. Fantastic player.

I remember when we signed him he had big wraps. How old is he now?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
He's 17 this year. So he still has time to learn and develop his game further but if he continues his progression I could see him playing NYC next year.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
4-3 to the Dogs in the SG Ball but once again early errors killed us and the size of the dogs team across the park was incredible, they have a few more "Kasiano's" and Frank Pritchard's in their junior base. And although we didn't win in this game I was impressed with the way the boys finished, the Dogs just had size all over the park and were constantly using their interchange whereas we held off on the unlimited interchanges and only really subbed players when needed. I think if we had kept on our starting halves in Turnbull and Seve our execution would have been better and we would have won. But for a trial it was a pleasing result even though we lost in the end.

Stand outs in Harold Matts for mine were Kyle Schneider who started the game at dummy half and then moved into the halves late in the match.

Wellington Seve (lock) his workrate was fantastic looking to get his hands on the ball as much as possible and was strong in defence, really liked to get the ball and take his run just in behind the ruck and caught out some lazy markers a few times.

John Paul Nohra (fullback) didn't do anything that was outstanding but on every scrum he was the one taking the hit-up and he covered the backfield well.

Valance Harris (second-row) Played as an edge forward but I think he may be suited to the middle (forty will know why) his work-rate was fantastic late in the game.

Matt Doorey (prop but should play on the edge) Made some awesome tackles and put on the shot of the game which saw in the next few attacking sets have a target on his head with numerous dogs players trying to put a big shot on him but none of them even came close to doing what Doorey did.

Forty20

First Grade
Just got back home from Neptune Park (right near Uranus Rd and Mars St - no joke) with the Harold Matts posting a 4 tries to 2 victory while the SG Ball narrowly went down 3 tries to 4.

The conditions were pretty ordinary and even though the sun did come out eventually it was a heavy track and the ball was greasy leading to plenty of turnovers throughout the two games.

We got off to a pretty ordinary start in the 16s when our #1 prop, Stefano Utoikamanu (younger brother of Filia) was jolted with a heavy shot up high with in the first few minutes of the game. Stefano was immediately assisted to the bench and sat out the game. Despite the setback our Harold Matts team showed plenty of grit and fought their way into the game after conceding first points via an intercept.

The backrow was immense in particular with Matt Doorey coming off the bench to lay on some audibly viscous hits. Our lock Ueliington Seve was busy around the ruck and showed a nice left foot step to get in behind the markers. Valance Harris was the other standout backrower on the day. Harris played big minutes, starting on the right edge before pushing into the middle. He got through a load of work on both sides of the ball and kept the quality of his work up despite visible fatigue.

Other players that caught my eye include the interchange hooker Luke Sommerton who had a couple of outstanding darts out of dummy half in the second half while the fullback John-Paul Nohra recovered from an early error to pump out a ton of red zone ruck work. Not the prettiest stuff but it was what the team required.

I couldn't figure out who it was but the #3 for the Eels (left centre) also played a really nice game. Scored two tries and was a handful despite the heavy track.

The SG Ball started off awfully for Parra as we turned the ball over time after time. The Dogs raced out to a three try lead largely thanks for us gifting them possession in our red zone before we finally started completing sets and clawing our way back into the game.

Like the Matts game, we lost a player within the first few minutes as our hooker Vea Tapa quickly departed from the field (not sure on the reason, no visible tells) while our wrecking ball centre Tui Afualo got a nasty gash above his left eye and missed out on roughly half the game getting stitches and a fresh kit on.

Once we got the soft turnovers out of the system the SG Ball squad looked good. Fitness levels seemed really high as they were able to intentionally lift the intensity of the defensive line deep into the second half.

Oregon Kaufusi (if I am not mistaken) was really strong in the #10 for us. Hammered away up the middle all day despite some stinging defence from the Dogs in the first half. Michael Tupou and Benny Valu brought good energy off the bench with the latter scoring a good try that involved him stepping past the fullback.

Noel Auckfolau and especially Nick Okladnikov had strong games after getting time in the centres in the second half while Tui Afualo continues to carve a place in my heart as my favourite junior at the club. Returning to the field with stitches and a bandage over his eye he pushed into the role of left half. He laid out a Canterbury player with a typically brutal hit and show plenty of savviness with his pass selection to do the hardwork for a couple of would-be tries if the next pass wide found its target.

Josh Curran, Travis Turnbull and Steve Dresler all got their first runs of the year and used them to shake out the rust. I knew what to expect from the first two given they were two of our best performers in the Harold Matts last year but Dresler did very well in his sole stint late in the game.

Rd.1 of the District Reps is in two weeks with the Eels travelling to the Central Coast. Given that there are also NYC and NSW Cup trials on in Newcastle later that day I am thinking of heading out and covering the 4 games between live updates and/or live stream.

Last edited:

peeks

Juniors
Cheers for the reports Obscene and Forty20 your'e both a credit to the club! Sounds like another big year for the junior reps.

Delboy

First Grade
The #3 in Matts ahould be William Kei, he joined this year from a Bankstown team

Was very impressive in the earlier trials, that was the number he played previously, so assume it is likely the identity

Forty20

First Grade
The #3 in Matts ahould be William Kei, he joined this year from a Bankstown team

Was very impressive in the earlier trials, that was the number he played previously, so assume it is likely the identity

Cheers mate. I have a solid grasp on the 2016 Matts now after getting a chance to chat to a couple of Parra officials recently but I still have a few players to commit to memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts