What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Holden Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Uikelotu came from the Dogs. Toby is a Moree boy and I think he may well be training with the first grade side a lot more over the next few weeks and into next year....

Still more 'juniors' we've recruited from outside the area.

And people keep going on about our local juniors. WE DON'T NEED AN ACADEMY!!! :crazy:

#'academy'

Gronk

Staff member
Still more 'juniors' we've recruited from outside the area.

And people keep going on about our local juniors. WE DON'T NEED AN ACADEMY!!! :crazy:

#'academy'

We've always recruited from outside the local area mate. I think you are getting the academy mixed up.

Pou's still clutching at straws. Hindy played for Parra in the S B Ball grand final. Which means that we recruited him from the country before age 17. As we did Jamie Lyon, Ben Smith, Luke Burt. The list goes on and on and on.

Parra has had an "academy" before Pou even learnt how to be an obnoxious know it all. Remember Barney Haslett ? He was a "academy" recruit at 13 who boarded with Jamie Lyon whilst we put them through high school.

Haslett moved to Sydney. At 15, he enrolled in Parramatta Marist Brothers and lived in accommodation organised by the club. His room-mate at the time was NSW and Australia centre Jamie Lyon.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...odigy-to-another/story-e6frg7mf-1225793001586

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We definitely had an 'academy' under Brian Smith, as every club should. Unfortunately after he left it was abandoned by subsequent coaches.

It's good to see we are back to recruiting heavily from outside the district again.

Gronk

Staff member
We definitely had an 'academy' under Brian Smith, as every club should. Unfortunately after he left it was abandoned by subsequent coaches.

It's good to see we are back to recruiting heavily from outside the district again.

More bullshit. Rod Reddy spent half is time at country carnivals*.

You might recall the article about him trying to get 14 year old James O'Connor to the Eels ?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ays-former-coach/story-e6frg263-1226051779358

Mark Horo is another "scout" when he was based in NZ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Afamasaga

We have always had our scouts and an "Academy" merkin. It just didn't have a fancy name. Own it.

* Yes I know some do criticise his record in talent recognition.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Brian Smith set up the JETS, the Junior Eels Training Scheme, it fell into disrepair when the 2 geniuses that came after him apparently didnt see the value

strider

Post Whore
i think the whole recruiting inside/outside our area thing is a massive furffy .... sure you need to look anywhere you can, but i think it's more about how you bring them through than getting the pick of the babies .... and it seems we have been terrible in recent times at nurturing the kids

and there is no guarantee that any of these kids will be any good anyway

we went and got Albert Kelly didn't we .... he's a prime example of a kid we went and got from outside our area based on his talent .... we put alot of effort into keeping him on track .... but he never had what it takes between the ears to cope - total waste

which brings another issue with getting kids from "outside your area" .... often you are taking them from their homes and family and many can't handle it ..... read Hindy's book, he wanted to bail when he was young

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Brian Smith set up the JETS, the Junior Eels Training Scheme, it fell into disrepair when the 2 geniuses that came after him apparently didnt see the value

Smith's junior development structures were one if the things I was most excited about when he came to the club. Back in the mid-90s I envied clubs with strong junior development systems - even clubs like the Roosters who don't even have any juniors of their own - and the Sydney club I envied most was Brian Smith's Dragons.

Even though Hagan/Anderson apologists glibly claim that EVERY CLUB DOES IT!!! it's obvious that not every club has the same focus on it.

As much as I loved Brian Smith, I was relieved to see him go. But it always felt like a knife on the guts to hear about how the coaches that came after him had let our academy fall to ruin, starting with Taylor's blast at Hagan in 2007.

Obviously then I was excited to hear Kearney talk about focusing on development when he first arrived. And bringing Nolan to the club, and his subsequent recruitment/retention decisions further reinforced that.

Kornstar

Coach
I recall that DA started promoting several 17 year olds such as O'brien and the excitement of it all.

Kearney does the exact same thing and he is some sort of pioneer!

Ask Graham Murray what he is doing in Newcastle......

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How is he a pioneer you imbecile? I just told you he was only doing what Brian Smith did with junior development 20 years ago. The same thing he learnt from Bellamy at Melbourne. It's nothing new, but it's an area where Hagan and Anderson dropped the ball. That's what got Anderson sacked.

Gronk

Staff member
How is he a pioneer you imbecile? I just told you he was only doing what Brian Smith did with junior development 20 years ago. The same thing he learnt from Bellamy at Melbourne. It's nothing new, but it's an area where Hagan and Anderson dropped the ball. That's what got Anderson sacked.

:lol:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sadly he was still talking about it when he left the club!

All the ideas, no clue how to put them into practice properly.

Kearney probably has put the right practices/structures in place for our juniors - time will tell. But it was his coaching ability that was the problem.

oldmancraigy

Coach
How do you know our focus on youth will fail? You reckon Stuart will do a Hagan and rip it all down?

I think you're just trying to set up a non-sequitur of an argument so that you can pretend any future success can be attributed to the idiot who gave us 2 drastically bleak years.

In 2 years he managed to take our NYC team from last all the way to second last. If there was a focus on youth, it wasn't a very good one. And yes, you'll pretend that he was focussing on younger youth - but that doesn't follow either. There's no reason we couldn't have a youth policy which actually saw our NYC improve from last to mediocre.

The unfortunate fact is that the youth movement had 2 years and didn't move anywhere. So IF a youth movement is to succeed it will due to what happens from now onwards. That is, we need to get one started and get it going. Just having the idea isn't anything new, the failure to implement it lead to the sacking, of that there's little doubt.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Kearney probably has put the right practices/structures in place for our juniors - time will tell. But it was his coaching ability that was the problem.

His recruitment of mentors for youth wasn't great either.

Having a youth structure isn't a new concept (unless your name is Hagan). It's the correct implementation of that process which wasn't done well (yet). Let's hope Nolan can see through the process which he was given some oversight of?

Suitman

Post Whore
I think you're just trying to set up a non-sequitur of an argument so that you can pretend any future success can be attributed to the idiot who gave us 2 drastically bleak years.

In 2 years he managed to take our NYC team from last all the way to second last. If there was a focus on youth, it wasn't a very good one. And yes, you'll pretend that he was focussing on younger youth - but that doesn't follow either. There's no reason we couldn't have a youth policy which actually saw our NYC improve from last to mediocre.

The unfortunate fact is that the youth movement had 2 years and didn't move anywhere. So IF a youth movement is to succeed it will due to what happens from now onwards. That is, we need to get one started and get it going. Just having the idea isn't anything new, the failure to implement it lead to the sacking, of that there's little doubt.

OMC,

I'm yet to be convinced though that Ricky is the man to either implement it or move it forward.

Suity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts