What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels sign new sponsorship deal with James Hardie

eels_fan

First Grade
No, it’s about taking an ethical stance.
The simple question is why align yourself with a business that may provide you negative headlines.

The answer is simple - either they offered an amount of money you can’t say no to. Or you had no other options.

Gronk

Staff member
The simple question is why align yourself with a business that may provide you negative headlines.

The answer is simple - either they offered an amount of money you can’t say no to. Or you had no other options.
Nah, or we did our due diligence and worked out that it’s been 40 years since the 1985 cessation of asbestos in products. Did our market research and decided that it’s not as bad as the Telecrap want you to think.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
No. They are sponsoring them in the hope that everyone thinks they are merkins.
Happy Hour Good Job GIF by Washed Media

Gronk

Staff member
I mean, pouring copious amounts of cash into the Eels so we can win a comp again with James Hardie on the front is a great story. Irresistible positive PR for the company.

Aramex - merkins
St George Bank - merkins
Steggles - merkins
Dyldam - merkins
M & J Chickens - merkins
Bluebet - merkins
Pointsbet - merkins
The Star - merkins
TAB - merkins
Palmer Bet - merkins
My Pay Now - merkins

All leagues clubs with pokies - merkins

James Hardie - used to be merkins ? Yes, still are as they fight to minimise claims. They lost a case most recently in 2020 in Adelaide, where the Supreme Court held that Hardies had a duty of care to a handyman. Did they cover up knowingly like big tobacco? Don't think so. They just tried to pay out as less as possible, like the banks and the church and the big polluters. Is that ideal ? No, however which corporation actually does put their hand up and pay out gabillions without being forced to ? Are we expecting too much ?

In the meantime, are they trying to be good global citizens ? It appears so, kinda.

As I said, you want to go the full ethical like netball and Gina ? Fine, but you'll need to make a lot of changes. You can’t be half pregnant FFS.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I mean, pouring copious amounts of cash into the Eels so we can win a comp again with James Hardie on the front is a great story. Irresistible positive PR for the company.

Aramex - merkins
St George Bank - merkins
Steggles - merkins
Dyldam - merkins
M & J Chickens - merkins
Bluebet - merkins
Pointsbet - merkins
The Star - merkins
TAB - merkins
Palmer Bet - merkins
My Pay Now - merkins

All leagues clubs with pokies - merkins

James Hardie - used to be merkins ? Yes, still are as they fight to minimise claims. They lost a case most recently in 2020 in Adelaide, where the Supreme Court held that Hardies had a duty of care to a handyman. Did they cover up knowingly like big tobacco? Don't think so. They just tried to pay out as less as possible, like the banks and the church and the big polluters. Is that ideal ? No, however which corporation actually does put their hand up and pay out gabillions without being forced to ? Are we expecting too much ?

In the meantime, are they trying to be good global citizens ? It appears so, kinda.

As I said, you want to go the full ethical like netball and Gina ? Fine, but you'll need to make a lot of changes. You can’t be half pregnant FFS.
Good luck finding a high profile company that will spend lots of money on sponsoring sporting teams doesn't have baggage.

You can find any angle you want for a negative. Qantas aint perfect they sponsor a fair few national teams.

Look at the Sydney Swans are they hypocrites for calling for LGBTI inclusion and having a pride jersey but then at the same time getting sponsored by Qatar Airways which is the major airline of a country which is strongly against those gay rights.

Gronk

Staff member
James Hardie lost a landmark case in the NT. In a nutshell, to date it has been difficult to attribute lung cancer (as opposed to Mesothelioma) as a consequence of exposure to asbestos, especially if the claimant was a smoker at any time.

The NT court however dropped a bombshell and recognised contributory negligence. He was therefore awarded 50% of the damages he would have been entitled to.

Our returning sponsors will now likely have a new tranche of claims.

I assume this will be appealed.