What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

beagle

Juniors
Great news, how many people will miss out on what will be a cracking match???? No wonder Flogball are encroaching on our turf with rubbish decisions like this costing our club money :? The staduim trust are a pack of Merkins who couldn't organize a chook raffle.

:-({|=

fish eel

Immortal
Can't help thinking there are a few people who have a bit of egg on their face after what is basically a back down to play the match at Parramatta now.

I note Osborne has stated the arrangements at Parramatta Stadium are 'onerous'. Hopefully next time the deal is up for negotiation the club can flex some muscles and get a deal there that benefits the tenant more than it does the landlord.

Interesting he cites compensation issues (which the trust, IMO, are entitled to claim). Those issues were flagged by a few people in here.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I bet you were also whingeing when Fitzy was telling us he couldn't guarantee our future in 5 years time, at least Ossie was trying to do something to help the clubs coffers. I'm sure Fitzy is over the moon at the result :roll:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Great news, how many people will miss out on what will be a cracking match???? No wonder Flogball are encroaching on our turf with rubbish decisions like this costing our club money :? The staduim trust are a pack of Merkins who couldn't organize a chook raffle.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26778147-5018866,00.html

Eels chief executive Paul Osborne confirmed the highly-anticipated match would remain at Parramatta Stadium, where a sell-out crowd is expected.

"The board has listened to our members and fans and decided to play our first match of the NRL season at Parramatta Stadium," Osborne said in a statement.

"The penalty was too great to move the game.

"Since Parramatta Stadium were going to impose a $100,000 penalty, on top of the hirers fee we were already contracted to pay.

"To move the match would have cost us almost $200,000.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26778147-5018866,00.html

Eels chief executive Paul Osborne confirmed the highly-anticipated match would remain at Parramatta Stadium, where a sell-out crowd is expected.

"The board has listened to our members and fans and decided to play our first match of the NRL season at Parramatta Stadium," Osborne said in a statement.

"The penalty was too great to move the game.

"Since Parramatta Stadium were going to impose a $100,000 penalty, on top of the hirers fee we were already contracted to pay.

"To move the match would have cost us almost $200,000.
And????? You must of missed the stadium trust are a pack of Merkins who couldn't organize a chook raffle bit.......

fish eel

Immortal
And????? You must of missed the stadium trust are a pack of Merkins who couldn't organize a chook raffle bit.......

Why?

They're charged with looking after their interests.

Paul Osborne is charged with looking after our interests.

If we had a deal to play the match their, and moving it was going to cost the stadium trust other revenue, should they have just copped it sweet?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why?

They're charged with looking after their interests.

Paul Osborne is charged with looking after our interests.

If we had a deal to play the match their, and moving it was going to cost the stadium trust other revenue, should they have just copped it sweet?
Of course not, but 200k???? Fitzy is still a busy boy in between sitting on trust boards and watching games of Flogball in Blacktown......

fish eel

Immortal
Of course not, but 200k???? Fitzy is still a busy boy in between sitting on trust boards and watching games of Flogball in Blacktown......

'almost' 200K.

I wonder what the actual figure was.

We know of the 100K penalty plus hirers fee.

Ossie acknowledged that we'd still have to pay the hirers fee, then there'd be catering and other such losses which I imagine make up the 100k penalty?

I dont blame the trust. They were looking after their own interests. They get most of their revenue from us, and to lose on 2 weeks notice one of the biggest events they'd have this calendar year would have been a blow.

TBH, I think Ossie handled this poorly talking up the move before things were locked down.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
'almost' 200K.

I wonder what the actual figure was.

We know of the 100K penalty plus hirers fee.

Ossie acknowledged that we'd still have to pay the hirers fee, then there'd be catering and other such losses which I imagine make up the 100k penalty?

I dont blame the trust. They were looking after their own interests. They get most of their revenue from us, and to lose on 2 weeks notice one of the biggest events they'd have this calendar year would have been a blow.

TBH, I think Ossie handled this poorly talking up the move before things were locked down.
So they get most of their revenue from us but they find a way to screw the club???? Funny that Fitzy was on both boards when the deal was struck.......... Where would the staduim trust be if we left????? sh*t creek but they find a way to screw us and 20 thousand people from watching the game.

fish eel

Immortal
BTW, I assume costing us 200k to move the match doesnt factor in how much we'd have made from the game???? Cos if it does then yeah, I'd be scratching my head.

But if we were making $150 form the move, we'd be looking at a net cost of $50K. Not much considering Osborne was talking up the move (big time) from a good of the game perspective rather than a financial one, unless

The board has listened to our members

the board stepped in and said no?

fish eel

Immortal
So they get most of their revenue from us but they find a way to screw the club???? Funny that Fitzy was on both boards when the deal was struck.......... Where would the staduim trust be if we left????? sh*t creek but they find a way to screw us and 20 thousand people from watching the game.

Hence, why I said a few posts earlier next time the lease is up, time to throw our weight around and get a better deal there......

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hence, why I said a few posts earlier next time the lease is up, time to throw our weight around and get a better deal there......
That we can agree on, why did they reduce the capacity of Parra staduim anyway???? Fitzy able to stick some Pokies on the hill somewhere????

fish eel

Immortal
That we can agree on, why did they reduce the capacity of Parra staduim anyway???? Fitzy able to stick some Pokies on the hill somewhere????

They wanted funding from the state to build a southern and northern stand. They decided to best way to get that cash would be to get it done as an all seater first (so they were seeking a smaller grant) then go back and get the stage 2 funding.

There may have (and mark may confirm or tell me I'm talking out of my arse) been issues with the soccer, a desire to host international games and a need to meet fifa all seater requirements.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
They wanted funding from the state to build a southern and northern stand. They decided to best way to get that cash would be to get it done as an all seater first (so they were seeking a smaller grant) then go back and get the stage 2 funding.

There may have (and mark may confirm or tell me I'm talking out of my arse) been issues with the soccer, a desire to host international games and a need to meet fifa all seater requirements.
Something should be done, Ando has been saying he wants our club to be great, best club in the league.

20K capacity just doesn't cut it in this day and age. I can see why some people would be upset about Ossie moving the game but i just thought it was great a intiative by the club in trying to earn some good money for Parra and maybe even win over a few new fans. I mean 40 to 50k fans to a regular season game would of been massive.

Latest posts