What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

Parra

Referee
The $$$$$$ home is television.

The Eels rate. That is where the cash is. The clubs ability to negotiate this fact is where the big dollars lie.

The Eels ability to win is what helps maintain this premium value. A huge part of this ability, when it comes down to points, is pressing any advantage possible.

One of the only advantages that is unique, is the home ground. It is worth points every time the team plays there. Points advantage = wins. Once the team wins, everything else follows.

What use are $$$$ without wins? Ask Illawarra fans. If the ANZ financial fans have their say that is where we are headed - looking good in the books but a joke on the scoreline.

Parra stadium should be a fortress. A place where other teams fear to come and an advantage to the Eels is guaranteed. Moving home games for short term finances dilutes this. The short term gain is not worth the long term loss.

This is not K-Mart. It is the Parramatta Eels.. and that stands for something. Still does unless the wankers get their way.

Suitman

Post Whore
Bart,

Just a question.
Do you think it is satisfactory for a professional sport like Rugby League to be turning ten's of thousands of people away from games if the demand warrants it?

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Bart,

Just a question.
Do you think it is satisfactory for a professional sport like Rugby League to be turning ten's of thousands of people away from games if the demand warrants it?

Suity
Simple question... but it's a more complex issue than that to me. My simplest answer, yes under certain circumstances.

We've discussed this before in last year's thread about the Kogarah game Suity. I think my post further above sums up my opinion pretty well, and in posts further down I recognise that there are a range of opinions on this that are equally valid.

nöyd

Staff member
You're all whinging wankers. Move the game up to Suncorp for a double header.

Parra

Referee
You're all whinging wankers. Move the game up to Suncorp for a double header.

Now that is a plan.

Those that count dollars and crowd figures will be happy.

The few of us that watch the scoreboard will be nervous, but at least the executives will get their bonus.

Well done. problem solved.

bartman

Immortal
One of the only advantages that is unique, is the home ground. It is worth points every time the team plays there. Points advantage = wins. Once the team wins, everything else follows.
I remember some really strong feelings last year being voiced about how once the current deal giving two of our home games to ANZ runs out, that some people who could make a difference in these things wanted to bring those games back to Parra and turn it into a fortress as you've said. Seemed to go down well with the members canvassed at the time.

Unfortunately it seems that in practice we're now heading in the opposite direction.... That may be where the code as a whole is going in these modern cash-strapped times, but it goes against those sentiments put so elegantly at the time by people that benefited from that home ground feeling.

strider

Post Whore
pfffft - just scrap the game all together - we already played tehm in Perth with a nice crowd - just take that game as the real one ... yeah sure we lost, but hey the important thing is we won't get injuries for round 2

Suitman

Post Whore
Simple question... but it's a more complex issue than that to me. My simplest answer, yes under certain circumstances.

We've discussed this before in last year's thread about the Kogarah game Suity. I think my post further above sums up my opinion pretty well, and in posts further down I recognise that there are a range of opinions on this that are equally valid.

Yeh, I agree, although not necessarily with your views and reasoning.
I just hate the thought of fans not having reasonable access to games.
I think, that this game is one of those cases. You may say that this is an advertisment to get out there and buy a season ticket so you don't miss out on matches, but my belief is that the more people we can get to games, the more chance we'll have of selling our game and more season tickets anyway. It's a double edged sword really.
Ozzie will have to deal with this decision (when it's made official anyway) one way or another.

pete made a good point before. If those fans that turned up to the grand final last year turn up again, it will be seen as a masterstroke by Ozzie - a massive boost to the clubs coffers.
I expect around 30 000. That's 10 000 more than would have ordinarily had the chance to see the game, and that's a win in my books.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Fair enough opinion. As I've said, I can see valid points to both sides of the debate.

Maybe I've been generous in expecting 40,000 to turn up at the bigger ground, especially if the day looks a bit gloomy or rainy...

I make comparisons to the top EPL clubs who have so many season ticket holders/members that other/latecomers just can't get a look in, and demand for STHs whenever they come available is massive. Point being that those EPL clubs make consistent reliable money from that, without having to worry about variation in their gate takings from game to game. We'll never achieve that financial and game day momentum imo if we continue to shift game locations two weeks before matches, to chase a random buck.

For me it's about turning that casual support into permanent support for the long-term benefit of the club, not further catering to that casual support and then watching it disappear if we don't string a few wins together.

Last edited:

Fui!!!

Juniors
I remember some really strong feelings last year being voiced about how once the current deal giving two of our home games to ANZ runs out, that some people who could make a difference in these things wanted to bring those games back to Parra and turn it into a fortress as you've said. Seemed to go down well with the members canvassed at the time.

Unfortunately it seems that in practice we're now heading in the opposite direction.... That may be where the code as a whole is going in these modern cash-strapped times, but it goes against those sentiments put so elegantly at the time by people that benefited from that home ground feeling.

Yep, I remember hearing that all games would be moved back to Parra.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Fair enough opinion. As I've said, I can see valid points to both sides of the debate.

Maybe I've been generous in expecting 40,000 to turn up at the bigger ground, especially if the day looks a bit gloomy or rainy...

I make comparisons to the top EPL clubs who have so many season ticket holders/members that other/latecomers just can't get a look in, and demand for STHs whenever they come available is massive. Point being that those EPL clubs make consistent reliable money from that, without having to worry about variation in their gate takings from game to game. We'll never achieve that financial and game day momentum imo if we continue to shift game locations two weeks before matches, to chase a random buck.

For me it's about turning that casual support into permanent support for the long-term benefit of the club, not further catering to that casual support and then watching it disappear if we don't string a few wins together.

if Parra stadium held 30,000+ people i'd be against the move, but it doesn't 20,000 is pathetic, what brains reduces grounds capcity size in this day in age, rather then increases it...i'll give you one guess.

20,000 capacity is embarrasing.

Parra

Referee
"I expect around 30 000. That's 10 000 more than would have ordinarily had the chance to see the game, and that's a win in my books."

Compared to the TV audience it is insignificant. The only benefit to the club is the subsidy added in by whatever nutcase holds the ANZ stadium purse strings.

The loony with the ANZ pursestrings does not help the membership drive. If anything, moving games to an outside area hurts the membership drive.

The loony with the ANZ purse strings adds nothing long term. The short term cash hand-out makes Osboune look good win lose or draw. It has no long term benefit outside of Osbourne's superannuation.

The loony with the ANZ purse strings just replaces the loony in the leagues club who punches her wages through the wackers. I thought we wanted to reduce our reliance on mad punters.

I'll take wins over short term dollar gains any day, any season.

Go the Eels

nöyd

Staff member

Cart before the horse.

Yes the home ground may be an advantage but no-one shows up unless the team is/has been winning, look at the end of last season:

RD 12 vs. Sharks @ Parramatta Stadium - LOST - Crowd = 7014
-------------------------------------------------------------
RD 19 vs. Storm @ Parramatta Stadium - WON - Crowd = 10804
RD 22 vs. Knights @ Parramatta Stadium - WON - Crowd = 17669
RD 25 vs. Panthers @ Parramatta Stadium - WON - Crowd = 20237

Of course those last 3 games listed all had victories at other venues in between, but the simple fact is the crowds only show up when the team is or has been winning.

More wins = more crowd = move big games to bigger stadiums = more $$$$. Sad but true.

Fui!!!

Juniors
if Parra stadium held 30,000+ people i'd be against the move, but it doesn't 20,000 is pathetic, what brains reduces grounds capcity size in this day in age, rather then increases it...i'll give you one guess.

20,000 capacity is embarrasing.

Starts with NSW and ends with Government.

1 year and both ends could be built and take the stadium up close to 30K

Suitman

Post Whore

I don't know what you mean by "continue to shift games". This is the first time mate, and it's not even official yet. Do you doubt that Parra's aim is to have as many season ticket holders as possible?
Surely this is a chance of selling the game to more supporters, therefore increasing potential for greater season ticket sales?
I have no doubt that there will be many people upset by this decision. This thread is evidence enough of that. I just see the greater picture, and keep hearing what a tough time the Club Industry is having atm. Surely we must do what it takes to shore up our financial position? Sometimes, hard decisions will need to be made.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
"I expect around 30 000. That's 10 000 more than would have ordinarily had the chance to see the game, and that's a win in my books."

Compared to the TV audience it is insignificant. The only benefit to the club is the subsidy added in by whatever nutcase holds the ANZ stadium purse strings.

The loony with the ANZ pursestrings does not help the membership drive. If anything, moving games to an outside area hurts the membership drive.

The loony with the ANZ purse strings adds nothing long term. The short term cash hand-out makes Osboune look good win lose or draw. It has no long term benefit outside of Osbourne's superannuation.

The loony with the ANZ purse strings just replaces the loony in the leagues club who punches her wages through the wackers. I thought we wanted to reduce our reliance on mad punters.

I'll take wins over short term dollar gains any day, any season.

Go the Eels

Who said we are going to lose? :?

Suity

bartman

Immortal
I don't know what you mean by "continue to shift games". This is the first time mate, and it's not even official yet.
It was an "if" statement, the "if" belongs with the "we continue..." bit. Ithough it was obvious I was talking about the future.

Surely we must do what it takes to shore up our financial position? Sometimes, hard decisions will need to be made.

Suity
All of the points you raise are valid. It's a clash between the financial and the tribal aspects of running the club.

And you've already acknowledged that decisions will upset many people, and that has been evident in this thread. I'm simply expressing my own version of that.

In simpler words, if we become the Homebush Eels in the future - or more than we have to this point - I don't want any part of it. I'll begrudgingly go, but I'll think twice about renewing my STH if the number Homebush home games doesn't decrease to less than 2 next season, as had been heralded.

Suitman

Post Whore
It was an "if" statement, the "if" belongs with the "we continue..." bit. Ithough it was obvious I was talking about the future.

All of the points you raise are valid. It's a clash between the financial and the tribal aspects of running the club.

And you've already acknowledged that decisions will upset many people, and that has been evident in this thread. I'm simply expressing my own version of that.

In simpler words, if we become the Homebush Eels in the future - or more than we have to this point - I don't want any part of it. I'll begrudgingly go, but I'll think twice about renewing my STH if the number Homebush home games doesn't decrease to less than 2 next season, as had been heralded.

It's more the way you express it Ron...

So you'd consider giving away following the Eels if we played more games at Homebush?

Suity

adamkungl

Immortal
Can't see a regular season game, even if it is round 1, getting much more than 25k. Maybe im pessimistic. Dunno if its worth moving to ANZ

strider

Post Whore
yeah - I wonder if it will be worth it in the end .... sure there will be more than 20K, but as gronk said earlier, maybe many will just be anz members who get a freebie

Latest posts