What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

born an eel

Bench
That should be an option tbh. Say a six game mini ST. I'd probably be in for that if it existed, and it would resolve my feelings about getting exactly what was on the tin.

And it would kind of bring the options for city folk on par with those who are eligible for the excellent Region Eels membership, and the choices they have therein.
:clap:

Haynzy

First Grade
I wonder how much of the ANZ money it will take to keep the Stadium Trust happy and if that will include losses to catering contractors etc....

Is the financial gain all that significant in the end?

If it is, then I think that most people will get used to games being played at ANZ and whilst they may revolt initially, if the club stays viable and strong, the long term effect on crowd numbers will be non-existant.

It's worked in the Afl, their game has now outgrown the smaller suburban grounds and their crowds are still good.

My heart's preference would be for increasing the capacity of Parra stadium to stave off a shift for as long as possible and for Parra to make the stadium a cauldron that other teams fear.

My head says that if the game is to grow, then a shift is inevitable.

The Colonel

Immortal
Yeah, it's a real whinge when I've said I'm disappoited but I understand why they made the decision.

It's a hell of whinge I've done.....

Rattle from the pram.

No, you dont. So I think it's bit rich for you to call people out who may have to make that decision, and may choose to save some money rather than buy a season ticket that may not be used as much.

Then again, you're probably just stirring the pot because you're generally more reasonable than that. ;-)

TBH, if they decide to move more games down the track to homebush, I'd be happy if they sold Parramatta Stadium specific ST and I'd still grab one of those.

Also, the Manly game will be close to a sell out as well. Should we move that one as well?

I'm not stirring the pot.

Almost as rich as whinging about the previous board who weren't doing anything about ensuring the club existed in five more years. Now when we have a board that is..... that too isn't good enough.

Two of the three of you were loud opponents of what the previous board weren't offering and when the new board decide to offer something over and above, with obviously an offer too good to refuse, you are whinging about how that effects you as well. Maybe you just like to whinge.

I bought the RegionEels membership and next year I will be buying a full membership regardless. Yes I may not use the seats all the time but I'm doing my bit for the club. Not going to throw out my rattle just because it doesn't suit me.

So someone is willing to pay Souths 100K per game when only 8000 people turn up, and this will go on until 2030?

Do you know for sure whose money is being thrown around at that stadium? Can we get any guarantee that NSW government funds are not involved at all?

Knowing the Stadium and how it works, I can almost guarantee it.

Funds for games come from Memberships, all other attendance tickets are cream.

You see we talk about membership, ANZ Stadium has a very large membership, that was filled before the Olympics on the Guarentee of tickets and then once again became full for the Rugby World cup. The Memberships also filled up last year on a special offer. Considering the 2 sets of members before them had paid their "Life" fees and had only stoped paying their "Yearly" fees, a reduced "Life" entry fee attracted the numbers back to the club.

Once you pay your membership you are a member until 2030, when the stadium Renewal fee comes up and it can go back to the State Goverment. At the AGM last year some members asked for the extention of the membership to be investigated.

17,200 people are Members at ANZ Stadium. Of those 1,000 are platinum members, the rest are Gold members. The Gold members pay a years subscription fee to go to games, like the State of Origin, The Grand Final, and 2 Rugby games and a Super 14, 3 or 4 AwFuL games and a yearly Soccoroos game. For that they pay $670 or so (this year it grows each year with CPI).

So 16,200 X $670 = $10,854,000. The Platinums pay a Transferablity Fee, but not being Platinum I don't know how much that is.

So 1 Million to to Dogs, 1 Million to the Rabbits, $200,000 to the Eels, Give the NRL and ARL some money, maybe half a mill for each event, so 1.5 this year for the 2 Origins and GF. The Same for the Rah Rah at a Million a year, maybe give the AwFuL the same, maybe more per game but with less game this year, so $400,000 a year. Give the Tah's the same as the Eels, or Maybe the same as the Swans, But no over 250,000 a game.

So that is about give or take $6 Million, there is a left over $4.8 Million, even if it costs you $800,000 for administration of the club.

Then every ticket, for each of those events is Money for Jam, so much so that any event where they get over 25,000 people they profit share with the "Home" team.

The Colonel

Immortal
nobody's doing that, they are just making a decisision based on their preferences.

If the financial situation of the club is such a worry to you, why not purchase a full ticketed membership and choose from the 12 games which you would like to attend. You expect others to keep their memberships even though they may not like,want or afford to go to games at ANZ.

Guess what.

The Colonel said:
I bought the RegionEels membership and next year I will be buying a full membership regardless.

How is that rattle?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Rattle from the pram.

Almost as rich as whinging about the previous board who weren't doing anything about ensuring the club existed in five more years. Now when we have a board that is..... that too isn't good enough.

Two of the three of you were loud opponents of what the previous board weren't offering and when the new board decide to offer something over and above, with obviously an offer too good to refuse, you are whinging about how that effects you as well. Maybe you just like to whinge.

I bought the RegionEels membership and next year I will be buying a full membership regardless. Yes I may not use the seats all the time but I'm doing my bit for the club. Not going to throw out my rattle just because it doesn't suit me.

great post!!!

I'm starting to think that the only reason people don't want the game moved is due to cheap drinks before and after the game at the Leagues club....

fish eel

Immortal
Rattle from the pram.

Whatever Colonel.

As I said, for me, it's disappointing - but I understand why they made the decision.

If that means I like to whinge, so be it.

Whatever the club do in terms of games at homebush, I'll still retain a membership of sorts, and if that means I'm protesting 'like a baby throwing its rattle out of the pram', then so be it.

As a Gold Member at ANZ Stadium, all this really changes is the Parking situation for me. Meh no real dramas, if you can get to Parramatta Stadium for 7:30 you can get to ANZ.

Gronk

Staff member
Love my team, but I can only tolerate ANZ from time to time. I know that many many long term season ticket holders are of the same opinion.

I will be there on 12 March and other games at ANZ this year, however if the frequency of ANZ games begins to increase over the next few seasons, my interest in renewing my season ticket will no doubt wane.

The Colonel

Immortal
I forgot that we still have to be 100% behind any decision that the new management/board makes, or be labelled on this forum. Silly me...

I still look forward to the time when - as it was pre-elections - people's range of views and/or constructive criticism about particular issues related to our club are once again seen as valid points of discussion, rather than childishly dismissed.

If Denis was thinking of moving games to Homebush in his time, I wonder what the reaction would have been? Oh yes, thanks Fish - I do remember that thread and the reactions to it...

Hi Pete.....

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
What about guru snr gig at the club afterwards? Will that be moved too?
What about Guru?? WHAT ABOUT GURU????

Is this move verified?? When will we know for sure.

I was pumped to go to the 1st game, but hell no am I going to ANZ on a Friday night.
Have you ever said anything remotley positive? You would see the downside of a free lunch i swear to god!

born an eel

Bench
Q:why do ANZ offer good money to clubs?
A: to attract more members and keep existing members happy.

Q: where to theses new members come from?
A: from the club memberships of clubs that they poach. Why not pay a little more and get all the extra benefits Mits mentioned.

jono

Juniors
I've gotta come down from Newy for home games so , i have to admit , it doesn't bother me one way or another where the game is played , Parra , ANZ or even SFS.
But unless there is a crowd of at least 50K at Homebush, the atmosphere won't hold a candle to a full-house at Parra. By the same token, Parra need to generate a winning culture at ANZ ,because after all ,that's where the GF and the big end-of-season games are played. I think Parra's record @ ANZ against all comers is in the black anyway.

born an eel

Bench
Guess what.

How is that rattle?
instead of stirring the STH who have helped keep this club going, maybe you should be thanking them for their input until you decided to get off your arse and make a worthwhile contribution yourself.

I would expect all the people who are in favour of this to vote with their feet and attend all games this season, apparently we need the cash to stay afloat.

ParraMatt

Bench
I have been told it is a load of bollocks and we won't be moving the game to ANZ.. That was from someone within the club. We will see how it pans out thought.. I can understand why we would move it.

Parra

Referee
Who said we are going to lose? :?

Suity

No-one has suggested that the Eels will lose the match.

They do lose the home ground advantage. It is worth points.

What is clear is that on-field competitiveness is not the highest priority for the club.

Latest posts