What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

bartman

Immortal
What a load of crap.

The home ground matters. It matters on the scoreboard. It matters to the fans. It means something to represent an area.

Piss that away and the whole game just becomes another commercial.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one.

I can get to Homebush on a Friday earlier than I can to Parra Stadium, and I can get home quicker from there too. But even if they can fit more bums on seats and make more cash out of it, this first game of the year still won't feel like a "home" game to me.

There's something to be said for selling out your home ground and having to turn people away. Rewards people that responded to the STH/Membership drive, encourages people that miss out on tickets to get in earlier next time (or consider STH Membership), and builds up a "big event" atmosphere to intimidate visiting teams the whole season through.

Compare that with say 40,000 on a Friday night half-filling a big venue... and the subsequent anti-climax of our next home game by comparison. Oh well, it is all about the bucks these days unfortunately.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
What a load of crap.

The home ground matters. It matters on the scoreboard. It matters to the fans. It means something to represent an area.

Piss that away and the whole game just becomes another commercial.

so you don't like the Parramatta club making more money?

if you were the CEO - would yopu keep the game at Parramatta - depriving the club of hundreds of thousands of dollars - together with locking out fans, or would you move it slightly out of the way to accomodate and rectify those aspects i just mentioned.

The game is moving in another direction - which is for the greater good. If you want Parramatta to be financially viable, as well as promote RL as a whole more significantly, then these things need to be done, it really isn't that hard to grasp - and i adore Parra stadium - if Parra stadium held atleast 30-35,000 then then i perhaps maybe a little worried and upset.

Ffs, i don't care if we play the game at Sir Snoopy Collins bathroom, aslong as the fans are more accomodated, together with a better pay check at the end of it - it really is simple business sense, maybe Wests should take back there games to Lidcombe Oval...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yeah, I'm with you on that one.

I can get to Homebush on a Friday earlier than I can to Parra Stadium, and I can get home quicker from there too. But even if they can fit more bums on seats and make more cash out of it, this first game of the year still won't feel like a "home" game to me.

There's something to be said for selling out your home ground and having to turn people away. Rewards people that responded to the STH/Membership drive, encourages people that miss out on tickets to get in earlier next time (or consider STH Membership), and builds up a "big event" atmosphere to intimidate visiting teams the whole season through.

Compare that with say 40,000 on a Friday night half-filling a big venue... and the subsequent anti-climax of our next home game by comparison. Oh well, it is all about the bucks these days unfortunately.

so you want Parramatta club to make less money do you? who cares if its half full, i want Parramatta to survive in the long term future, rather then rationale of ''but but but it's the first game of the year, we will loose our home ground support' boohoo

Parra

Referee

if you were the CEO - would yopu keep the game at Parramatta - depriving the club of hundreds of thousands of dollars - together with locking out fans, or would you move it slightly out of the way to accomodate and rectify those aspects i just mentioned.

The game is moving in another direction - which is for the greater good. If you want Parramatta to be financially viable, as well as promote RL as a whole more significantly, then these things need to be done, it really isn't that hard to grasp - and i adore Parra stadium - if Parra stadium held atleast 30-35,000 then then i perhaps maybe a little worried and upset.

Ffs, i don't care if we play the game at Sir Snoopy Collins bathroom, aslong as the fans are more accomodated, together with a better pay check at the end of it - it really is simple business sense, maybe Wests should take back there games to Lidcombe Oval...

Wanker.

I could not give a f**k how financially viable the Homebush eels are.

The rest you just made up.

Parra

Referee
so you want Parramatta club to make less money do you? who cares if its half full, i want Parramatta to survive in the long term future, rather then rationale of ''but but but it's the first game of the year, we will loose our home ground support' boohoo

The old "Northern Eagles" argument. Some people never learn.

Fui!!!

Juniors

If I was CEO I wouldn't tell fans to get a season ticket so that they don't miss out on the first game of the season only to move it 2 weeks before the game.

We have known since September last year that this game was going to sell out. So why use that to market membership?

And why not change the stadium last year, instead of 2 weeks from the game?

bartman

Immortal
ffs, read the post :roll:. It's an opinion.

It may not be the same as yours, but it's valid all the same. You won't make it along to either venue anyway...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
If I was CEO I wouldn't tell fans to get a season ticket so that they don't miss out on the first game of the season only to move it 2 weeks before the game.

We have known since September last year that this game was going to sell out. So why use that to market membership?

And why not change the stadium last year, instead of 2 weeks from the game?

that part i actually agree with you on, it was wayyy toooo late.

Apart from that, seems a commonsense decision, St George found out the hard way last year.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
I don't get this, Dragons keep home game at Kograh then we have a thousand and one people jumping up and down for them to move it to a bigger ground to get more people in, Parra then go ahead and move the game to get more fans in and now people want to bitch and moan cause of home ground advantage, or ST or it's too far away. At the end of the day I couldn't care where the game is played I support the parramatta eels so if I have to drive an extra 15min and pay $20 for parking to support them so be it. You don't want to see a half empty stadium easy get up and go buy a ticket to the game.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
ffs, read the post :roll:. It's an opinion.

It may not be the same as yours, but it's valid all the same. You won't make it along to either venue anyway...

yeah i read it, responded, and realise it is an opinion, your point is?

and i may turn up, i may not, it depends on many circumstances just like in years gone past.

born an eel

Bench
I find it interesting that people who either don't attend games or attend 2 or 3 games a season, are now worried about the financial viability of the club. I think the 5K people who turned up to every game last year even though they were considered wooden spoon chances and will turn up whenever we have a bad year are more important to the viability of the club.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I don't get this, Dragons keep home game at Kograh then we have a thousand and one people jumping up and down for them to move it to a bigger ground to get more people in, Parra then go ahead and move the game to get more fans in and now people want to bitch and moan cause of home ground advantage, or ST or it's too far away. At the end of the day I couldn't care where the game is played I support the parramatta eels so if I have to drive an extra 15min and pay $20 for parking to support them so be it. You don't want to see a half empty stadium easy get up and go buy a ticket to the game.

top post, couldn't have said it any better.

but but but, we're loosing our spiritual home blah blah :lol:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I find it interesting that people who either don't attend games or attend 2 or 3 games a season, are now worried about the financial viability of the club. I think the 5K people who turned up to every game last year even though they were considered wooden spoon chances and will turn up whenever we have a bad year are more important to the viability of the club.

totally agree, damn those people.

well to be sure, we should move more games to homebush, just in case..

bartman

Immortal
I don't get this, Dragons keep home game at Kograh then we have a thousand and one people jumping up and down for them to move it to a bigger ground to get more people in, Parra then go ahead and move the game to get more fans in and now people want to bitch and moan cause of home ground advantage, or ST or it's too far away.
I didn't think the Kogarah game should have been moved, and I didn't think we should move this one either. Seems a pretty consistent position, and I recall Saints fans on the whole being happy their game wasn't moved and became a sellout with some atmosphere.