What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

PJ Marshal

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ramatta-backflip/story-e6frexnr-1225834886135

BOOM club Parramatta's bold bid to switch its round-one blockbuster with St George Illawarra to ANZ Stadium has been torpedoed by the club's Stadium Trust.

Steve Gee
<LI class="source ">From: The Daily Telegraph<LI class="date-and-time last">February 26, 2010 5:41PM<LI class="date-and-time last">And it has robbed 30,000 fans the chance to attend the game, many of whom have flooded online forums to vent their outrage.

Eels CEO Paul Osborne wanted to switch the clash from Parramatta Stadium in a bid to prevent thousands of fans being locked out of the season opener. The decision has upset club legend Ray Price who said: "That oval was built because of the Eels - not anything else," he said. "No one else hires [Parramatta Stadium].

"What happens if we say, 'Hey we will take all our games to ANZ Stadium'. It frustrates me."

The switch had the support of NRL boss David Gallop, but Osborne was forced to concede his club had failed to reach an agreement with Parramatta Stadium officials. "The board has listened to our members and fans and decided to play our first match of the NRL season at Parramatta Stadium," Osborne said.

"The cost was too great with the club unable to break its 10-match-a-year agreement with the Parramatta Stadium Trust."

Osborne clearly wasn't listening to fans from leagueunlimited.com, who scolded the decision.

"20,000 capacity just doesn't cut it in this day and age. I can see why some people would be upset about Ossie moving the game but I just thought it was great a initiative to earn some money for Parra and maybe even win over a few new fans," Hineyrulz wrote on the website. "So [the Stadium Trust] get most of their revenue from us [the fans] but they find a way to screw the club ... and 20,000 people from watching the game?"

Moving the match would have cost the Eels $200,000 in compensation and stadium hire.

But fan Fisheel argued: "I assume costing us $200k to move the match doesn't factor in how much we'd have made from the game?

"Osborne was talking up the move [big time] from a good of the game perspective rather than a financial one, unless the board stepped in and said no?"

Osborne was critical of the inflexibility of the Eels' arrangement with the Stadium Trust.

"Clearly the current arrangement with Parramatta Stadium is onerous and it is difficult to make decisions like this that could benefit the club and its fans," he said.

Gallop said it was not up to the NRL to assist in compensation.

"The clubs need to have flexibility in their hiring arrangements and most do have flexible arrangements these days," Gallop said.

With a capacity of just 21,000 at Parramatta Stadium, the Eels are certain to be forced to turn back thousands of fans for a match that would have drawn up to 50,000, and will cost the NRL a chance to break its 185,051 record for opening-round attendance set in 2007.

fishy nice work

i always knew you were a news ltd lackey

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
So you got smacked down on the "White Elephant" comment so now you are trying to make it all revolve around statistics. Ok.

Where do you drag this crap from?

The only reason any team plays at ANZ is a cash guarantee. The place is the definition of white elephant. Fans hate the place, clubs only play there for cash.

strider

Post Whore
:lol: :lol: ... clearly another cash for comments scandal i'd say

btw - the line after the one you bolded was the rest of fishy's comment .... he's such a trouble maker

strider

Post Whore
its funny - without the quotes from the 2 guys here, that story would have only been about 3 paragraphs :lol: :lol:

I'm guessing putting the quotes from forums in is the brainchild of some newsltd manager who is "trying to connect with and involve the community" .... trust me, I've head that alot lately from ppl in the media - its the latest buzz phrase

spiderdan

Bench
What a stupid article. There were plenty of comments from fans for both sides of the argument. So this is what journalism has got to - writing 'news' from www message board posts.

parrachilean31

Juniors
In my opinion it's time to get someone either stadium trust or the nsw government to put money for the new stands for north and south hill.as we can see the overwhelming support of the eels this year and alsofuture years . This will make parra stadium a sfs style stadium

thommo4pm

Coach
What a stupid article. There were plenty of comments from fans for both sides of the argument. So this is what journalism has got to - writing 'news' from www message board posts.

Mate that is all the telegraph do, they watch over these boards and try to stir up trouble, and turn the fans against each other.
The quality of journalism in that paper is terrible.

fish eel

Immortal
Poor Steve Gee.

Could he have quoted anyone with less credibility than me?

Poor bugger will end up writing Sydney Confidential now.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Poor Steve Gee.

says fishy who just bought a dozen copies of the DT for his bedroom ceiling

Anon

Bench
It's certainly shown Osbourne up to be a hypocrite though after he bagged the Dragons for not giving up a home semi final last year.

strider

Post Whore
It's certainly shown Osbourne up to be a hypocrite though after he bagged the Dragons for not giving up a home semi final last year.
:-s ... you do realise he was actually trying to get it moved - but the trust pretty much stopped him

fanaticeel

Juniors
Poor Steve Gee.

He could have quoted me! Sydney Confidential would then be a step up! :lol:

He'd be writing for the Springfield Shopper! :lol: