What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

hineyrulz

Post Whore
My memories of Gordon's performance with the boot last year aren't the same as Sterlo's. I can't remember us winning games off his boot. From memory he had a down year with the boot. Didn't kick that many from out wide at all. Was a lock from in front, most probable from 10 m out and about 25% from the sideline.
He started off well but for a fair while his kicking was pretty poor.

emjaycee

Coach
From what I know the announcement of the Board on Friday is for the Football club and not the Leagues Club meaning Mad Max still has a role until the Leagues Club board is appointed.

Will try and find out more today.

emjaycee

Coach
Just on the above, I have had it confirmed that Friday's announcement is for the PNRL (footy club) and not the PLC (Leagues Club).

Keeping in mind the new structure of the board is as follows:
  • Board of seven Directors.
  • Two Leagues Club nominated Directors are to be nominated by Leagues Club Board
  • Five external Directors are to be appointed by the Board from time to time based on skill qualifications.
So Friday's announcement will be the five external Directors who have been selected through the process over the last 4 months and the other 2 will be placements from the PLC so by default, 2 of Max, Steve Sherman and Mr Jim Sarantinos (the interim directors that have been around for the last 8 months from Ferrier Hodgson).

EDIT:
The 2 PLC nominated directors for the PNRL Board do not have to be directors of the PLC - they just need to be picked by the PLC board. As Max IS the PLC Board at present (by virtue of being the administrator) he previously picked Steve Sherman and Jim Sarantinos to make up the 3 PNRL directors required by ASIC. Only 2 of these will remain post Friday and it seems like it will be Max and probably Jim, with Steve Sherman stepping away.

Last edited:

phantom eel

First Grade
Nice one MJC.

What/any chance Steve Sherman stepping away from the 2 PLC spots, but being one of the 5 appointees?

I hope there are no career politicians or ex-players amongst the 5 appointees....

emjaycee

Coach
Nice one MJC.

What/any chance Steve Sherman stepping away from the 2 PLC spots, but being one of the 5 appointees?

I hope there are no career politicians or ex-players amongst the 5 appointees....

I think Sherman will just go back to his full-time job at Ferrier Hodgson and PNRL will be part of his CV for future reference.

Any career politicians and or ex-players that are among the 5 will have been selected on merit so if they make it onto the board, so be it. Remember Bernie is an ex-footy player and he would have been a good board appointment if not picked for CEO.

strider

Post Whore
agree .... if they have the ability, then nothing wrong with them being on the board ..... and on the other hand the most brilliant businessman/whatever might be completely inappropriate also if they have no understanding of rugby league

looking forward to seeing who they are ..... though expecting I wont have a clue who any of them are - lol

phantom eel

First Grade
I reserve my judgement on any pollies or footy players that happen to make it through on merit.. the good thing about Bernie is that he never played for us, so didn't bring any baggage.

The only ex-player of ours I could stomach for an initial term on the footy club board is Geoff Gerard - due to his NRL links and for his ecperience and continuity of service under all of the various factions that have controlled our boards over the past ten or so years.

Gronk

Staff member
I reserve my judgement on any pollies or footy players that happen to make it through on merit.. the good thing about Bernie is that he never played for us, so didn't bring any baggage.

The only ex-player of ours I could stomach for an initial term on the footy club board is Geoff Gerard - due to his NRL links and for his ecperience and continuity of service under all of the various factions that have controlled our boards over the past ten or so years.

I was about to post something about Jethro. I always took him as a straight shooter and a good man.

He copped a bit when we were docked points and he was accused of being "self-appointed spokesman". Unfair criticism at the time IMHO.

emjaycee

Coach
IMHO Gerard was definitely hard done by, however he understood that his future as a Director was going to end and was happy enough to step aside if needed in the interest of the club.

The new constitution Max has put in place precludes Gerard from ever being a Director.
Director independence criteria to have the following features:
• A Director can be a member of Leagues Club (but need not be) without compromising independence.
• Leagues Club nominated Directors may be a director of Leagues Club (but need not be) without compromising independence.
• Independence will be compromised if the nominee has dealings with Leagues Club or Rugby League Club beyond certain thresholds to be set out in the directors handbook (eg provision of services, employment relationships, sale of goods).
Any person who has been a director or company secretary of Leagues Club, Rugby League Club or PDRL at any time before 19 July 2016 will not be considered independent.
• Any person who has been a permanent employee of Leagues Club or Rugby League Club will not be considered independent in the 3 years after ceasing employment.

Source: http://www.parraeels.com.au/content/dam/eels/pdfs/PNRL_Governance.pdf

Gronk

Staff member
Max's new Constitution said:
Any person who has been a director or company secretary of Leagues Club, Rugby League Club or PDRL at any time before 19 July 2016 will not be considered independent.

Feel sorry for the likes of Jethro, but it feels nice to be quarantined from the likes of Spags and Fitzy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just on the above, I have had it confirmed that Friday's announcement is for the PNRL (footy club) and not the PLC (Leagues Club).

Keeping in mind the new structure of the board is as follows:
  • Board of seven Directors.
  • Two Leagues Club nominated Directors are to be nominated by Leagues Club Board
  • Five external Directors are to be appointed by the Board from time to time based on skill qualifications.
So Friday's announcement will be the five external Directors who have been selected through the process over the last 4 months and the other 2 will be placements from the PLC so by default, 2 of Max, Steve Sherman and Mr Jim Sarantinos (the interim directors that have been around for the last 8 months from Ferrier Hodgson).

EDIT:
The 2 PLC nominated directors for the PNRL Board do not have to be directors of the PLC - they just need to be picked by the PLC board. As Max IS the PLC Board at present (by virtue of being the administrator) he previously picked Steve Sherman and Jim Sarantinos to make up the 3 PNRL directors required by ASIC. Only 2 of these will remain post Friday and it seems like it will be Max and probably Jim, with Steve Sherman stepping away.
I have a question about our appointed board members. What's in it for them?

By this I mean, will they be rewarded in some way? Because I don't want candidates who are only in it for the chance to rub shoulders with footy types. Or is this the only reason anyone does this sort of thing at any club?

emjaycee

Coach
I have a question about our appointed board members. What's in it for them?

By this I mean, will they be rewarded in some way? Because I don't want candidates who are only in it for the chance to rub shoulders with footy types. Or is this the only reason anyone does this sort of thing at any club?
Old Remuneration:
Remuneration to be shared among Directors from a maximum sum approved by the Leagues Club Board exercising voting rights as sole shareholder.
Entitled to be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in performing their duties.

New Remuneration:
Directors will not receive remuneration for their services.
Directors will be entitled to be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in performing their duties in accordance with the travel and expense reimbursement policy to be set out in the directors handbook.

Am guessing it is a philanthropic activity done for the love of and benefit to the club.

phantom eel

First Grade
Or for your CV on LinkedIn, networking purposes and future potentially better rewarded Directorships...

[/cynic]

phantom eel

First Grade
Ok so it's a resume filler? Like when I was valedictorian at my sophomore prom?
Yeah... kinda just like that.

c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

Spags has relos by the bucket load

Jodeci follows them on twitter

Eldicko I see you're fascination with Jodeci still lingers. Can't you just let go? You're a very bitter and twisted old turd, actually I Liken you to a sticky turd that doesn't want to let go. you just don't want to drop into the toilet bowl, you just wanna hang around the arsehole, maybe you like the smell the ambience that's why you hang on so tight. Elstinky, your mate Sharpy is gone dude...You lost and now it's time Get over it, just let go and drop into that toilet bowl so we can flush you away. Just like your mates on the previous board were flushed away lol