What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta salary cap scandal: Eels backer’s HQ searched

Nick Tabakoff, News Limited
November 25, 2016 12:00am

THE plot has thickened in Parramatta’s salary cap scandal, with the NSW Police Fraud and Cybercrime Squad have executing a search warrant at the Sydney CBD headquarters of a company involved in third-party payments to former Eel Anthony Watmough.

The Daily Telegraph understands two officers from the Squad’s Strike Force Rhodium, which was set up to investigate the Eels scandal, turned up at the offices of online investment group BlackCitrus in Alfred St with the warrant.

BlackCitrus is run by Stephen Moss, son of prominent Eels fan and former Macquarie Bank director Bill Moss.

Police sources confirmed the execution of the search warrant, and that they took away several documents.

“It was very low key and the office was very co-operative,” a police source said last night.

Strike Force Rhodium is investigating whether some Eels officials misappropriated funds from the Parramatta Leagues Club to facilitate third-party payments to players through false or inflated invoices.

In 2015, BlackCitrus signed a four-year contract worth in excess of $850,000 for it to provide IT services to the Eels.

Additionally, the NRL’s final breach notice against the Eels found that BlackCitrus paid Watmough a third-party agreement, worth $75,000 a year.

The Daily Telegraph understands that under the warrant yesterday, copies of the BlackCitrus contract with the Eels were taken, along with time sheets showing work done by BlackCitrus.

When contacted late yesterday, Stephen Moss said: “We are fully co-operative and committed to bringing the NRL and the NSW Police some transparency to the table.”

He declined to comment further because of what he described as “ongoing litigation” with the Eels.

The NRL’s final breach notice included text messages in which Mr Moss told former Eels CEO Scott Seward of problems with the contract with the club and pressure from Watmough’s manager over the slowness of the third-party payments.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d/news-story/f67aaa4d866f3490915e3c3b0bc91808

phantom eel

First Grade
I'd vote for Mossy - if we are ever allowed to have Board elections again.

Can't do worse than Price, Kenny, Grothe, Sharp etc. but at least the entertainment booking might be good!

Gronk

Staff member
Will Scott Seward ever have to front the investigators ? Or has Todd Greenberg put a stop to that

Whilst the NRL have turned a blind eye to him, I assume the merkins from Strike Force Rhodium won't be offering him the same protection.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/b3fc5be56222109f82f73889a2eccfed

Eels must stop ‘haemorrhaging’ cash, says administrator Max Donnelly
b3fc5be56222109f82f73889a2eccfed

DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
37 minutes ago

b3fc5be56222109f82f73889a2eccfed

STRAIGHT-shooting Parramatta administrator Max Donnelly has conceded his club is in a parlous financial state, declaring: “We’ve got to stop haemorrhaging.”

Donnelly told The Daily Telegraph that Parramatta Leagues Club had poured more than $30 million into the Eels football club over the past four years.

Yet the Eels NRL club still posted a $12 million loss this year, the next worst Sydney-based club being Penrith with a $5.4 million operating loss.

Donnelly’s comments come a day after The Daily Telegraph revealed some clubs could fold unless the NRL’s broken memorandum of understanding is reinstated.

Parramatta’s heavy losses are another key reason why clubs want the NRL to honour their funding agreement reached last December.

There was a variety of extenuating reasons behind Parramatta’s blowout this season, among them player payouts and legal fees. Donnelly hopes to halve that loss next season and halve it again in 2018.

The extra NRL funding would assist Parramatta’s endeavours to one day break even. It comes a day after Manly boss Scott Penn said he had $10 million into the Sea Eagles over the past decade.

“We’ve got to stop the haemorrhaging,” Donnelly said.

“There are huge losses. Whilst Parramatta is possibly in a better position than some of the other clubs, it just cannot continue to sustain these losses.

“Parramatta needs the money, absolutely. The NRL clubs have to be united. I suspect the clubs have never been more united than they are now. We have to fund businesses in 2017.

“Our Leagues Club has poured over $30 million in cash over the last four years to fund the football club. And the Leagues Club now need to build their carpark, which is going ahead. The Leagues Club has to fund the football club but the Leagues Club also want to do other things with its money.
“The Leagues Club still makes more money than the football club loses but I have to run it as a proper business.

“In theory, in 2018, with the new broadcast deal, the club should be more viable and get closer to being able to stand alone and trade at no loss. I’m realistic not to expect that but I’m expecting the losses to be halved this coming year and then I would expect it to be halved again the following year.”

Donnelly scoffed at NRL suggestions the money should be taken from the clubs funding model and injected in grass roots and digital.

“I don’t cop that,” he said. “I would sooner the money go to the clubs than this term, ‘grass roots’. Parramatta is a development club, we develop juniors.

“I don’t know why we should be punished in our cash flow for money to be spent on grass roots. It doesn’t make sense to me. We more than do our bit.

“We spend $1.5 million on our juniors. If there is talk about money going into grass roots, I don’t get that, because Parramatta has 5800 juniors that we promote, fund, put referees on the field and make a pathway through to the club. We do our bit for the grassroots.”

Meanwhile nominations close on Monday morning for the five independent directors for the new Parramatta football club.

“I am confident I will get five good, independent, skill-based directors,” Donnelly said.

strider

Post Whore
FFS Max, the leagues club built the best f**king escalators money can buy, don't go being a tight merkin now

Latest posts