What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
There was a fair bit of water that breached the powerhouse site from the river this week. And I've noticed a newish office building three streets back from the river has a labelled flood barrier built into the driveway off the street (which leads to underground parking).

Hope it goes well etc, but probably not the best selection of a site all things considered.

Oh dear.

Another doubter.
Did you not read the technical details I posted above?

Suitman

Post Whore
There was a fair bit of water that breached the powerhouse site from the river this week. And I've noticed a newish office building three streets back from the river has a labelled flood barrier built into the driveway off the street (which leads to underground parking).

Hope it goes well etc, but probably not the best selection of a site all things considered.

The building is going to be built 7.5 metres above the normal river level!
After this weeks flood, one of the biggest in many years, that only got to 3.5 metres. The river has never reached 7.5 metres since settlement. Not even close to it.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I did, and work nearby the site and have a family members working for Arup. As I said, I hope it goes well, but there were better sites... the ferry is hardly a factor - when was the last time it managed to actually run?

The blurb mentions the undercroft, which doesn't seem to be on the diagram? Not doubting the ground floor (Philip Street entry?) won't let water in, but if there's an undercroft facing riverfront then I'd guess it must only be intended for flood mitigation (rather than any permanent use/cafe etc).

Suitman

Post Whore
I did, and work nearby the site and have a family members working for Arup. As I said, I hope it goes well, but there were better sites... the ferry is hardly a factor - when was the last time it managed to actually run?

The blurb mentions the undercroft, which doesn't seem to be on the diagram? Not doubting the ground floor (Philip Street entry?) won't let water in, but if there's an undercroft facing riverfront then I'd guess it must only be intended for flood mitigation (rather than any permanent use/cafe etc).

The ferry is a big factor. It's not just only a transport mode for workers but a tourist attraction. When international travel starts opening up again, it is a huge drawcard to get tourists to Parramatta, and the museum will be on it's door step. It's a very cheap harbour cruise for tourists.
To have a museum of this magnitude and architectural prominence within a stones throw of the wharf is a massive attraction for Parra.
The undercroft issue was mentioned in my previous post.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What has the rain done to depths in Parra River? Has it filled it with sediment?

Its been 10 years since I took the ferry there from the City but the shallow depths meant it was a wild ride at the end.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This 1/1000 year event makes me laugh as no one really knows what it is but a lot of very smart people have drawn the line in the sand and said this is it.

I've already seen a development that is required to sustain a 1/2000 year event, good luck with that one.

There is so much development in Parra at the moment that I just wonder if it might not be a better idea to levy each development and spend money fixing the river, rather than going to the extent that Powerhouse has done.

Was there any flooding in Church St recently ?

strider

Post Whore
I dont know what work happened to the ground itself. The leagues club stuck on the side of it is currently still a construction site