What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium

forward pass

Coach
cool escalators too. love that people just stand on them instead of walking so it takes 20 mins to get to the top floor.

#theretospeeduptravelnotanumusementparkride

are they travelators or escalators. If they are escalators then the idea is to stand.

But Travelators - fmd it is the thing that pisses me off more than anything. KEEP WALKING DICKHEADS !!

Avenger

Immortal
Whatever we get we can thank the Wanderers and their phenomenal contribution to the A League. I'm not even a fan but to suggest anything else is a nonsense.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that's why we need to spend 30 million on 2,000 seats

they have to be Wanderers proof

Gronk

Staff member
I guess that's why we need to spend 30 million on 2,000 seats

they have to be Wanderers proof

State of the art hooligan ejector seats for soccer games, is where all the cash is going.

ejection-seat-sign-20505129.jpg

Maroubra Eel

Coach
If the Wanderers were smart they would relocate to a bigger stadium. They have great crowd numbers and don't have an attachment to Parra Stadium like the Eels do.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...ell-dream-bigger/story-fnii5s3x-1226880457632

The Parramatta Eels and Western Sydney Wanderers edict to Barry O’Farrell: dream bigger

44 minutes ago April 11, 2014 11:25AM

PARRAMATTA Eels and Western Sydney Wanderers have joined forces to tell the government that a $29 million upgrade to increase Parramatta Stadium capacity by just 1800 seats is a waste of time.

Eels and Wanderers chiefs want a bigger plan to convert the venue into Western Sydney’s largest rectangular stadium with 32,000 seats.

Such a plan could cost up to $120 million but Eels chief executive Scott Seward said that private investors would be interested in developing office, retail and elite sports science facilities.

“The plan at the moment is not going to give us or this region the stadium it deserves,’’ Mr Seward said, after a meeting with Venues NSW this week.

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has also weighed in, raising the prospect the Wanderers would consider relocating if the Parramatta facility was not fully upgraded.

He revealed he had recently met with Liverpool Mayor Ned Mannoun, who would “love to build a stadium”.

“Certainly that would be an option if Parramatta is not significantly upgraded,’’ Mr Gallop said.

“The Wanderers have almost outgrown Parramatta Stadium already in only their second year,’’ he said. “They are only going to get bigger and bigger.’’

Preliminary work is scheduled to begin next month increasing Parramatta stadium’s capacity to 24,000 seats, using $20 million allocated by the federal government, $6 million by the state and $3 million by Parramatta City Council.

Pressure is mounting on Sport Minister Gabrielle Upton to finalise where the government wants to develop what will become Western Sydney’s leading mid-capacity stadium.

Its stadiums strategy, released in 2012, said there was a need to develop a Western Sydney stadium of between 20,000 and 40,000 seats with modern corporate suites and elite training facilities, but no decision has been made.

746105-70c512ec-c110-11e3-b362-fbc371d40a1d.jpg

Artist impression of the planned upgrade to Parramatta Stadium. Source: Supplied

Penrith Panthers general manager Phil Gould is pushing to redevelop the 22,500 Centrebet Stadium, while Campbelltown lawyer and Wests Tigers supporter Jim Marsden has appealed for an NRL team to be based permanently in the southwest.

Ms Upton said yesterday it was important the government was “on the same page” as the Eels and Wanderers, the stadium’s two major tenants.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith said a world-class rugby league stadium was needed in Western Sydney but said the NRL had not yet “landed on a preferred option”.

“Unfortunately the overall standard of stadiums in this State is not satisfactory,” he said. “It means we cannot offer fans the best possible experience.

“We need stadiums which are easy to get to, which bring fans close to the action and enable them to watch games in comfort.”

Wanderers chairman Lyall Gorman said the team believed Parramatta was the correct choice as it was centrally located within Western Sydney and well serviced by public transport.

Game days already pumped more than $18 million a year into the local economy.

“We would prefer a commitment to the whole of the picture, not just part of the picture,’’ he said.

“It’s not our strategy to hold guns at heads – we prefer to explain why this is the best option, but time is of the essence,’’ he said.

He said the Wanderers would facing the prospect of losing $1 million next season due to the redevelopment works just to increase capacity to 22,500.

746529-76df8676-c110-11e3-b362-fbc371d40a1d.jpg

Another view of the proposed upgrade. Source: Supplied

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
If the Wanderers were smart they would relocate to a bigger stadium. They have great crowd numbers and don't have an attachment to Parra Stadium like the Eels do.

MCG is the only ground big enough for them.

Will be sad to lose them, but you can't stand in the way of their success. :arrow:

forward pass

Coach
Close to two years to add new terraces and corporate areas? Stadiums are built from scratch quicker than that.

eels_fan

First Grade
The artist impression looks identical expect for some fancy framework in the roof which for some weird reason extends past the standards like an ugly awning. Looks hideous.

The 2000 seats must be gold plated...

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Why did they break all the seats anyway?
I saw they posted pictures on twitter bragging about how much damage they caused. I don't get it.

The artist impression looks identical expect for some fancy framework in the roof which for some weird reason extends past the standards like an ugly awning. Looks hideous.

The 2000 seats must be gold plated...

I agree. Every time I fly my helicopter over the ground I will be shaking my head about how silly it looks. :p

Obviously it costs serious dollars to make meaningful change to the stadium, but I'd almost say that I'd prefer to spend $2-3m on cosmetic upgrades and leave the capacity as it is than to spend $30m on expanding the stadium by a couple thousand seats.

TheRam

Coach
Stadium builds and strategy are a joke in this State. At the very least no new stadium should be built ever again any further than 2-300 metres from a train station.

And as for the formerly known SFS, that should be left as is, it has had a terrific run as far as stadiums go, and a brand new 40 000 seat with roof stadium should be built at Prince Alfred Park Central Station.

I know that I keep harping on about this, but it is the best possible location and would guarantee massive crowds no matter who is playing there. It would set a whole new level of bringing sporting events to where the people are in the southern hemisphere.

Gronk

Staff member
Stadium builds and strategy are a joke in this State. At the very least no new stadium should be built ever again any further than 2-300 metres from a train station.

And as for the formerly known SFS, that should be left as is, it has had a terrific run as far as stadiums go, and a brand new 40 000 seat with roof stadium should be built at Prince Alfred Park Central Station.

I know that I keep harping on about this, but it is the best possible location and would guarantee massive crowds no matter who is playing there. It would set a whole new level of bringing sporting events to where the people are in the southern hemisphere.

Soon you'll be able to get the tram from the city to SCG, SFS & Randwick Races.

Fair compromise IMHO, Comrade.