What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium

PARRAMATTA Eels and Western Sydney Wanderers have joined forces to tell the government that a $29 million upgrade to increase Parramatta Stadium capacity by just 1800 seats is a waste of time

i agree its fair enough to upgrade the sponsors boxes etc but to spend that much money for a piddly 1800 seats is not worth it

p.s. while we are improving parra stadium can we get some new numbers on the seats in the cronin stand? they are totally unreadable i gave up on finding my seat and just sat in the first empty seat i could find

Gronk

Staff member
i agree its fair enough to upgrade the sponsors boxes etc but to spend that much money for a piddly 1800 seats is not worth it

p.s. while we are improving parra stadium can we get some new numbers on the seats in the cronin stand? they are totally unreadable i gave up on finding my seat and just sat in the first empty seat i could find

Thanks, my 98yo grandmother missed the game because of you. :crazy::fist:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-should-be-spent/story-fni3ga7r-1226888496743

Pirtek Stadium renovation on hold as Eels and Wanderers debate how the money should be spent

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
April 18, 2014 12:00AM

PIRTEK Stadium’s $29 million facelift has been sent back to the drawing board following a dispute with the NRL and FFA over how the funds should be spent.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal a board meeting of Venues NSW on Tuesday resolved to freeze all development plans indefinitely.

As a result, plans to upgrade corporate facilities in the eastern grandstand from August have been temporarily aborted.

The Western Sydney Wanderers had staunchly opposed that leg of the *redevelopment because it would have slashed the venue’s *capacity by 3000 seats for next summer’s A-League.

With more than 15,000 season ticket-holders, the Wanderers are already struggling to accommodate fans.

The remainder of the money was to be spent on 1500 additional seats at the northern end and new dressing rooms under the western grandstand.

While both the Wanderers and other major tenant, the Parramatta Eels, want new facilities for players, both clubs have been petitioning for alternative improvements.

The Eels want the 70m pitch behind the southern stand to be extended to a full-length field, which would enable them to hold all training sessions inside the precinct. Parramatta have been nomadic over the past two years, switching their drills between nearby Richie Benaud Oval, Granville and the stadium itself.

Eels boss Scott Seward wants the leftover money to be saved for a major redevelopment that would increase capacity to 32,000. Venues NSW believes a project of that magnitude would cost in excess of $100 million and possibly leave both clubs homeless for at least a year.

“Both the Wanderers and Parramatta agree that we need to look at the scope of works,” Seward said. “We’ve had numerous discussions with Venues NSW about that, and they’ve increased in the past six weeks.

“We want to call Pirtek Stadium home for many years, but we also want to dramatically increase our membership. We don’t see the point of spending the money on an upgrade that will barely increase the capacity.

“As for the training field, that was something we were promised when we signed our new lease with the stadium (in 2012).”

A source close to Venues NSW said the authority had decided to take stock after realising the tenants weren’t going to be happy.

It’s understood Venues NSW still wants to push ahead with additional seats on the northern stand, as those works will not disrupt current operations.

A spokesman for the NSW Sports Minister confirmed renewed talks would now commence with the Eels and Wanderers.

“It is important that the upgrade plans suit the needs of the teams who regularly hire the stadium,” the spokesman said. “It is equally important that the venue secures long-term commitments from those teams.

“There are ongoing discussions between Venues NSW, the Parramatta Eels, the NRL and the Western Sydney Wanderers to ensure these objectives are met.”

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, if venues NSW agreed that the training field be extended as agreed to when the new lease is signed, that's the end of it. Deals a deal.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Well if it was part of the agreement we had when we signed the deal to play there, then they will surely honour it.
If they don't then we should break the contract and walk away. Homebush would be ideal. Let the Wanderers do what they like at Pirtek.

T.S Quint

Coach
With more than 15,000 season ticket-holders, the Wanderers are already struggling to accommodate fans.

Did they get this wrong and mean members instead of season-ticket holders?
If not, then that's an incredible figure. How much do they sell season-tickets for? 30 bucks?

eelinfo

Juniors
I would rather see the wanderers build there own ground at Fairfield or Liverpool and they can do what they want. Parramatta needs desperately a world class stadium. I think the capacity needs to be lifted to at least 40 or 50 thousand to accommodate rep games. A multi level car park where the car park currently is. I would move the Ray Price statue to the o Connell st entrance and put one of Mick Cronin along side him. They could have a walk of fame all the way surrounding the ground. Along with statues of former players.