What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra's First Premiership Team

Tekken Lord

Juniors
My dad's a long time parra supporter, 40 years forward pass ;-)
And he keeps bugging me to get the team list for the first premiership winning team.

Does anybody know the players and their positions?

The Colonel

Immortal
Steve McKenzie; Graeme Atkins, Michael Cronin, Steve Ella, Eric Grothe; Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling; Ray Price, John Muggleton, Kevin Stevens, Ron Hilditch, Steve Edge (c), Bob O'Reilly (Steve Sharp replaced Price, Paul Taylor replaced Stevens). Coach: Jack Gibson

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The Colonel said:
Steve McKenzie; Graeme Atkins, Michael Cronin, Steve Ella, Eric Grothe; Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling; Ray Price, John Muggleton, Kevin Stevens, Ron Hilditch, Steve Edge (c), Bob O'Reilly (Steve Sharp replaced Price, Paul Taylor replaced Stevens). Coach: Jack Gibson

When you look at it, its a fairly young side and some of the big name players didnt even play Origin and Test footy, shows you Parramatta were on the rise for success.

And then the experience of O'Reilly, Cronin, Edge, Price, Hilditch.

And Atkins is an unsung hero, I dont think he played rep footy, but scored a crucial try in the Grand Final. Still a Parramatta legend. Wonder what he's doing now?

parra pete

Referee
I had the Bear, Mick Cronin, Peter Wynn, Allen Geelan* and Peter Smith* (*Canterbury) - as well as the late John Marsden - come to town for our 1980 Presentation Night and he told me then that Jack was bringing Stumpy Stevens to the Club in 1981. I had a good laugh because I thought he was talking sh*t. But Stumpy did come..and he was a key man in the Grand Final win.
Jack had Stumpy play at half back for the first couple of scrums in the GF to allow him to take the expected hits from Tommy Raudonikis that would have been aimed at Sterlo. Woked too. Stumpy Stevens was sensational in the GF and another reason why Big Jack is No 1.
......"Ding Dong The Witch is Dead".
Did you know that the Grand Final crowd was 57333. Put that into a calculator and turn it upside down..There is noway the Eels would get beaten that day. Everything was pointing to the victory...

emjaycee

Coach
saw steve sharp in heathcote macca's a few weeks back.
he has changed heaps - like added about 10kgs only to his frame and still has same hair and mo :)

Love him for being first try-scorer at Parra Stadium against the Dragons... was there with my ex-g/f and her family (all st george supporters).

emjaycee

Coach
parra pete said:
Did you know that the Grand Final crowd was 57333. Put that into a calculator and turn it upside down..There is noway the Eels would get beaten that day. Everything was pointing to the victory...

No sh*t!!!
That is incredible. Are u sure the crowd figure wasnt fudged?

Suitman

Post Whore
emjaycee said:
No sh*t!!!
That is incredible. Are u sure the crowd figure wasnt fudged?

Oh come on MJ, it's common knowledge that that was the official crowd that day. True. Quite freaky really.
Never been any different.

Suity

emjaycee

Coach
Suitman said:
Oh come on MJ, it's common knowledge that that was the official crowd that day. True. Quite freaky really.
Never been any different.

Suity

Did u forget something? :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Seriously, not hard to release an actual figure of 57853 (or any other number nearby) as 57333 BECAUSE the eels won.

Suitman

Post Whore
Now that we have gone back in time, here's a trivia question.

I just made a comment in the PD, calling someone a "Show Pony".

A former Parra player had this nickname.

Who was it?

Suity

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've got the team photo above my work desk.

I see it every day and I'm wondering when we'll win the next one.

Latest posts