What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra's greatest choke!!!

What is Parra's biggest choke moment?

• 1998 SF vs Canterbury

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • 1999 SF vs Melbourne

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 2001 GF vs Newcastle

Votes: 62 39.2%
  • 2005 SF vs North Qld

Votes: 37 23.4%

• Total voters

balmainbenny

Juniors
Which match do you view as Parra's greatest choke?

1998 semi vs Canterbury...One of the most memorable matches I've ever seen. Parramatta had a seemingly weaker Canterbury team by the throat for 65 minutes.
The problem was, they decided to play safe. John Simon made some stupid tactical errors and the rot started to set in. Once Robert Relf gave the offload of the decade (sorry Paul Osborne) to Rod Silva, they went to pieces.
I remember the match for the ultra-cool play by the dogs and the total panic by Parramatta. I still can't believe the decisions made by Whereat and Paul Carige that day.
I have never seen a bigger choking display by one man (Carige) ever. I think he never played first grade again after that. Now, he plays fullback for Fassifern in the Ipswich Rugby League.

1999 semi v Melbourne...Very commanding lead against Melb, than got the jitters in that second half.

2001 gf V Newcastle......Total pissweak first half by a team with the best regular season stats in history. Ben Kennedy and Andrew John ripped their dream and hearts apart.

2005 semi v North Qld....Even weaker first half than the 2001 debarcle. The North Qld team is not even half as good as that Newcastle 2001 team was.

My vote goes to 1998!!!!

Here is my order

Parra 1998
Parra 2005
Parra 2001
Parra 1999

aussies1st

Staff member
Parra 2001 Huge lead should have had the game wrapped up.
Parra 2005 Huge favourites should have had the game wrapped up.
Parra 1998 Didn't see this one so can't comment.
Parra 1999 Same as above.

eels_fan

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Parra 2001 Huge lead should have had the game wrapped up..

Sorry but if i recall correctly...and i think i do cos i've been haunted by the game for 4 years - Parra NEVER lead in that game .... i seem to recall it being 24-0 in Newcastles favour at HT

RiotAct

Juniors
18 - 2 with like 12 minutes to go or something, then bulldog legend Paul Carige fired for us, ah the memories

Harold Bishop

Juniors
lol who can ever forget the 1998 semi against the Dogs?
If i remember correctly it was all tied up with 10 seconds to go and i think Carige kicked the ball from his own goal line straight to a Bulldog player who nearly scored the winning field goal.

MrSharky

Juniors
'98

'05

'99

'01

I actually expected Newcastle to win the GF in '01; seeing as though the Eels stumbled into the GF after having only just beaten Brisbane...

Even though Newcastle required some help from the officials (Simpkins! :evil: ) against Cronulla, two of their players still showed glimpses of brilliance: Johns & Kennedy...

RiotAct

Juniors
Harold Bishop said:
lol who can ever forget the 1998 semi against the Dogs?
If i remember correctly it was all tied up with 10 seconds to go and i think Carige kicked the ball from his own goal line straight to a Bulldog player who nearly scored the winning field goal.

polla mounter from 50 out, soo bloody close

balmainbenny

Juniors
RiotAct said:
18 - 2 with like 12 minutes to go or something, then bulldog legend Paul Carige fired for us, ah the memories

I hate the dogs, but I was cherring Rocket Rod on hard that day. That Polla Mounter field goal attempt was a blinder.

aussies1st

Staff member
eels_fan said:
Sorry but if i recall correctly...and i think i do cos i've been haunted by the game for 4 years - Parra NEVER lead in that game .... i seem to recall it being 24-0 in Newcastles favour at HT

Oh lol, wrong way around.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
1998, how we lost that I dont know. Soon as it was 18-2, everyone just feel asleep, you can tell. Jason Smith threw a bad pass to Dallas Weston, John Simon had a poor attempt at field goal, when all he couldve done was kick it deep. And dont get me started on Paul Carige. But I dont think we wouldve beaten a red hot Brisbane team, especially with the likes of Carige, and Dallas Weston.

1999, was a big chance, cant believe Parra had so many ways to lose that game. I remember Dennis Moran doing a chip and chase that couldve won us the game, passed it to Jason Smith who had Kelly unmarked but dropped the ball.

2001 and 2005 are pretty much the same, came into the game thinking they just had to show up. At least 2001, they tried to get back in the game and looked like scoring. Yesterday they weren't interesting, no effort.

bluesbreaker

Bench
MrSharky said:
I actually expected Newcastle to win the GF in '01; seeing as though the Eels stumbled into the GF after having only just beaten Brisbane...

agree 100%. Not many people remember what Newcastle did to Parra with a full strength first grade side earlier in the year. I was a million times more confident of beating Parra than beating the Sharks the week before.

ngunity

Juniors
balmainbenny said:
Which match do you view as Parra's greatest choke?

1998 semi vs Canterbury...One of the most memorable matches I've ever seen. Parramatta had a seemingly weaker Canterbury team by the throat for 65 minutes.
The problem was, they decided to play safe. John Simon made some stupid tactical errors and the rot started to set in. Once Robert Relf gave the offload of the decade (sorry Paul Osborne) to Rod Silva, they went to pieces.
I remember the match for the ultra-cool play by the dogs and the total panic by Parramatta. I still can't believe the decisions made by Whereat and Paul Carige that day.
I have never seen a bigger choking display by one man (Carige) ever. I think he never played first grade again after that. Now, he plays fullback for Fassifern in the Ipswich Rugby League.

1999 semi v Melbourne...Very commanding lead against Melb, than got the jitters in that second half.

2001 gf V Newcastle......Total pissweak first half by a team with the best regular season stats in history. Ben Kennedy and Andrew John ripped their dream and hearts apart.

2005 semi v North Qld....Even weaker first half than the 2001 debarcle. The North Qld team is not even half as good as that Newcastle 2001 team was.

My vote goes to 1998!!!!

Here is my order

Parra 1998
Parra 2005
Parra 2001
Parra 1999

agree with your analysis 100%

reckon the 2001 GF wasn't so much a choke as a perfect half of GF football from the nights, choke only in so much as Parra was the dominant team of the entire season

2005 at least they're a young team so you could write off a defeat as gaining semi-final experience for next time....

1998 was the choke of all chokes, and I loved it as I was shattered thinking the dogs were out......

thuganomics

Coach
bluesbreaker said:
agree 100%. Not many people remember what Newcastle did to Parra with a full strength first grade side earlier in the year. I was a million times more confident of beating Parra than beating the Sharks the week before.

Once we scored the first try I thought we were going to win. Prior to that I think the Eels had scored the 1st try in 21 matches in a row.

OVP

Coach

THAT ONE !!

Easy as. It's where they earnt the nickname, The Lemons, courtesy of Zef (what a shame the Zefster doesnt post here, he'd liven up this board no end ... Zef only seems to post at Melon's site and Mario's Wall these days, and yet he's a bulldog ... but most Rooster fans respect his opinion, which is odd since us and the dogs are mortal enemies).

Latest posts