What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

Spot On

Coach
Maybe Khoder "accidently" left that bit out when Cory signed up...

Lol. Really is a bizarre situation to have a manager that the NRL won't permit clubs to deal with. That essentially is a bigger problem for Corey than being told he no longer has a job at the club. I mean even if Bennett wanted to re-sign him when his contract is due for renewal, his manager can't be involved, so he can'y get a deal anyway. I suppose Corey could negotiate and close the deal himself, without Nasser, so why then does he have him as his manager in the first place? Freaking bizzare!

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Some papers reporting we have offered Darius 500K a season. Personally i want to see him switch to 5/8. The more he has the ball the more dangerous a team would be.
If we get him, why would we switch him to five-eighth when we've got Beau and Tyrone ready to roll anyway? If he stays at fullback, then he can chime in whenever he wants; it's how he's done his best work at the Dragons.

Oh and I wouldn't have a problem with us offering him 500k tbh.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If we get him, why would we switch him to five-eighth when we've got Beau and Tyrone ready to roll anyway? If he stays at fullback, then he can chime in whenever he wants; it's how he's done his best work at the Dragons.

Oh and I wouldn't have a problem with us offering him 500k tbh.

That's crazy talk.

On the issue with Paterson.. Does anyone else think that now he's been rattled by this news about being shown the door, that he will go up a couple of gears and really start playing well?

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
That's crazy talk.

On the issue with Paterson.. Does anyone else think that now he's been rattled by this news about being shown the door, that he will go up a couple of gears and really start playing well?
How it's made up I don't particularly care, but if say 400k was under the cap and 100k was from outside sources, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. He's in the top five players in the comp IMO, and probably second only to Slater as far as fullbacks go.

Hopefully Pato does go up a few gears and makes the club re-think its position.

Last edited:

Jubes

Juniors
I'd be ok with 400k for Boyd. Considering that it's probably less than the Eels paid for Sandow it doesn't sound like such a bad deal.

Spot On

Coach
How it's made up I don't particularly care, but if say 400k was under the cap and 100k was from outside sources, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. He's in the top five players in the comp IMO, and probably second only to Slater as far as fullbacks go.

Hopefully Pato does go up a few gears and makes the club re-think it's position.

Yep, those numbers look better if the club can reduce the effect his contract would have on the cap by maximising third party arrangements. Can anyone tell me if there is a cap on third party deals? How does it all work?

jonno_knights

Juniors
Not only will this kick cory into gear (and Kaufusi and Taufua who have also been mentioned apparently) it will also kick the rest of the squad into gear, because it seems your not safe even if you are signed for 2012.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yep, those numbers look better if the club can reduce the effect his contract would have on the cap by maximising third party arrangements. Can anyone tell me if there is a cap on third party deals? How does it all work?
I could be wrong and feel free to correct me, but my understanding of this third party deal business is that there is no cap on it and the source just needs to not be associated with the club directly.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I could be wrong and feel free to correct me, but my understanding of this third party deal business is that there is no cap on it and the source just needs to not be associated with the club directly.

I find this very hard to believe. I have a feeling that there is a cap on third party payments. Otherwise a club like Brisbane would far and away have the best team in the comp.

Jono078

Referee
I don't like the possibility of Boyd getting 500k, seems a tad too much.

Not that his skills might not deserve that pay, but like some others have mentioned here, I'm not totally convinced he WANTS to be here. If I'm paying a player 500k you would think that's a good offer to decide your future pretty quickly. I just get the feeling he doesn't really want to come here and that it's his last choice if it weren't for Bennett.

Spot On

Coach
I think I read somewhere that it was around 150k, per club per season.

I can remember Bruno Cullen saying publicly that Dareen Lockyer was listed under the Broncos cap at $250K per year with the rest of his contract being made up of third party deals. He also said a lot of the other players were receiving third party amounts ranging from 20K to 50K (and maybe more?)

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
500k is HUGE... I doubt WB will pay him that much. It's like a highschool kid asking his dad for a porche for his first car. Will get bitch slapped like the 2011 NSW Origin Squad...

I'd pay 500k for SBW.

Alex28

Coach
He wouldn't get out of bed for $500K. You have heard French rugby are talking $1.5 Million haven't you?

Serc

First Grade
Nasser agent drama leaves Pato in limbo
BY ROBERT DILLON
19 May, 2011 12:00 AM

CORY Paterson's partnership with controversial player manager Khoder Nasser has cast a cloud over the Newcastle forward's chances of finding a new club for next year.
Paterson was told last week it would be in his interests to leave the Knights at the end of the season, despite having another year to run on his contract.
Newcastle's strategic-development manager, Keith Onslow, has offered to use his extensive contacts to help find Paterson a new home, but any dealings Nasser conducts on behalf of the towering back-rower will not be recognised by the NRL.
Paterson linked with Nasser this year after being represented by Steve Gillis.
But Nasser, who also manages Anthony Mundine and Sonny Bill Williams, is not an accredited player agent with the NRL, which means the game's governing body will not register contracts he negotiates.
"He can't negotiate an NRL contract, and Cory is aware of this, I believe," Neil Cadigan, the operations manager of the accreditation body, said last night.
"So if he wants to look outside the NRL, he's fine to use Khoder Nasser - it might be Super League, rugby union, wrestling, boxing, tiddlywinks or whatever.
"But the rules are quite categorical in rugby league.
"Generally the clubs won't negotiate with an agent who is not accredited."
Cadigan said Paterson could either change manager or Nasser could apply for accreditation.
But Cadigan said there were only two accreditation "windows" each year and the next was not until September.
Paterson, who had minor knee surgery yesterday, said last night that he could not comment.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...agent-drama-leaves-pato-in-limbo/2167829.aspx

Looks like some of you guys in here were spot on about the difficulties Pato is about to experience!

slotmachine

First Grade
Third Party Deals
The basic guide is that if a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.
There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players which fall under the "Marquee Player Allowance".
The total payments under these sponsorship leveraging agreements must not exceed $300,000 per club

Income that a player earns from parties not related to his club is generally not included in the Salary Cap, however, the details of the agreement must be advised to the club by the player. The club must then get approval for the agreement from the Salary Cap Auditor in order for the remuneration to be excluded.
There is no limit on these agreements.

slotmachine

First Grade
Just as a follow up, the second deal I explained is the murky one.
It is very hard, if not impossible, for the salary cap auditor to prove if it was the club or the players manager who set up a deal with a non-club sponsor.

Apparently the Broncos players use up to $1 million of non-club arranged third party deals.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ns-on-cap-cullen/story-e6frg7mf-1225904118427

Fortunately our owner is rich and has lots of rich mates so we can start doing the same thing.

I reckon they will work something like this;

Uncle Tinkler: Hey Kade, wanna come home? I'll offer you $300k.
Snowden: Sure thing Uncle Tinkler! But the Sharks are offering 400k!
Uncle Tinkler: 300k is all I can offer but maybe your manager can sort out some other deals? *wink* *wink*
Uncle Tinkler gets on the phone to Singo.
Uncle Tinkler: Hey mate, how do ya fancy having Snowden doing some promo work? I'll sort you out.
Singo gets on the phone to Kades manager
Singo: I'd like that newly capped Australian player Snowden to promote my pubs, 150k a year sound alright?

And the rest is history

Latest posts