What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

Rolla

Juniors
Not quite enough to ensure his signiature. His quote at the end looked like it was well edited and probably in answer to a slightly different question.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Outsider Nasser puts Paterson in a bind

Brent Read From: The Australian May 18, 2011

NEWCASTLE forward Cory Paterson's attempt to find a new club hit a snag yesterday when the NRL warned it would not register any deal negotiated by his agent Khoder Nasser.

The edict, delivered by the Rugby League Player Agent Accreditation Committee (RLPAAC), also means NRL clubs have been warned off approaching Nasser over another of his star players -- dual international Sonny Bill Williams.

Paterson has another year on his contract with the Knights but the club -- on the advice of its incoming coach Wayne Bennett -- has given him permission to leave at the end of the season.

He may have to negotiate the deal himself given the NRL's hardline stance on Nasser.

"Currently, Khoder Nasser is not qualified to act as an agent in rugby league," RLPAAC operations manager Neil Cadigan said.

"The rules quite clearly state that any contract negotiations by an agent who is not an accredited will not be registered by the NRL.

"That is absolutely clear and categoric. He's not accredited. The fact is we won't consider applications again until September. We only consider applications every six months."

Nasser, who also handles the affairs of Williams, said he would speak to Paterson today.

"I have been overseas," he said. "I will see him in the next 24 hours."

The NRL has adopted a similar stance with a number of player managers in recent years, most notably when Willie Mason was on the search for a new club.

Mason's manager Greg Keenan did not have accreditation and he was forced to use Sam Ayoub to do his deal.

Williams is off contract after the rugby union World Cup but is expected to sign a one-year extension to continue playing in New Zealand, or head to France.

After that, he is expected to be open to offers for cashed-up NRL clubs, who will be flushed with funds thanks to a new broadcasting deal, which begins in 2013.

NRL chief executives are in the throes of projecting potential salary caps for 2013 and beyond based on the size of the next broadcasting deal.

The cap is expected to be at least $5.5 million for 2013 with gradual rises in following years.

That could put clubs in position to launch a bid for Williams. Already Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters, who yesterday off-loaded Queensland forward Nate Myles for next year, have been linked with the former Canterbury star.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...terson-in-a-bind/story-e6frg7mf-1226057802855

Alex28

Coach
Okay it's time:

SBW anyone?
Nasser has already told NRL clubs that they can not get anywhere near what he will get in Rugby.

Yosh...it will never be time. We will never ever get SBW. Both hands on the keyboard mate and start talking sense.

perverse

Referee
Let's be real here, Idris signed with the Titans before we signed Bennett.
the Idris announcement came less than 24 hours before the Bennett announcement. hard to say what happened behind closed doors, but the timing was very coincidental. you could almost say the decisions came simultaneously - and i believe the timing has had a large effect on why people believe that Bennett pulled the plug on it - a theory that i actually subscribe to.

i don't feel as though we were brushed by Idris. as you said, we missed Myles... but by the sounds we were only testing the water with him anyway (although of course we would say that, wouldn't we?).

i said around the start of the year that i would be over the moon if Snowy came home for 2012, and that alone would satsify me as far as recruitment goes. we've now got a full bank account, Snowy, the best coach in the business - arguably of all time... and we're chasing Darius Boyd, a genuine superstar.

you could say i'm happy as a pig in shit with where we are at. if we miss out on Boyd and everyone else then i'll be super excited to see what Bennett makes out of what we already have. we have some strong juniors coming through, we have the nucleus of a brilliant team in first grade already. i wouldn't be slightly perturbed if we didn't sign another big name this year. i've been a little surprised at how slowly things have progressed since the takeover, i was expecting a bit more bang, bang, bang... but thinking rationally, we've got it bloody good right now... best off we soak it all up, support the team to have the best year that they can this season to set us up for the next 4 years of hopefully pushing for a title.

Joker's Wild

Coach
On the money it would take to get him here, I would deem SBW not worth the effort.

I know some will spout "Bullshit, as if you wouldnt want SBW at your club" but the hard truth is we would hand over far too much of the salary cap and lose far too much of our depth for a bloke who is being remembered way too fondly by some fans.

It would be like buying a Ferrari for $3M. Youd get an awesome car but you would be paying it off for the rest of your life.

perverse

Referee
i think it would be borderline geniused not to talk to Sonny next time his contract is up. of course, you don't put a blank cheque in front of him... but i would strongly hope we would enter negotiations and see what we could see...

much can and will change between now and when SBW comes back on the market. taking 3rd party deals and cap raises into account... anything is possible.

Jono078

Referee
f**k it'd be unreal to get SBW, even in the NRL.

Actually that's a lie. If we offer SBW a contract but he then signs with the Titans, I would go mental.

Alex28

Coach
If the talk that he could be on as much as $1.6 Million per year in French Rugby is correct Khoder wouldn't even return our calls. Not that we could ratify a contract with him any way.

Some papers reporting we have offered Darius 500K a season. Personally i want to see him switch to 5/8. The more he has the ball the more dangerous a team would be.

88.Knights

Juniors
DAMN!!!! 500 large? DAMN!

DAMN! He isn't worth 500k surely...

yeah i was under the impression that we'd pretty much be able to offer him the contract no negotiating(well not none but none?). the titans have already knocked him back and we got uncle wayne, but doesn't sound like his blind following of wayne wherever he goes is enough for him to come here.

anyways thinking he'd come here for 320-350, and sign 2 weeks ago, but now its dragged on forever, who knows:crazy:

Spot On

Coach
.... and so Corey has a manager that can't manage his affairs in the NRL? Why would he put himself in that position?

Latest posts