What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

Spot On

Coach
Too easy Burwood. Good points. I wonder whether Nasser would be given accreditation after the Williams walkout fiasco?

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
BLACKLISTED?

Was it really Wayne Bennett's call to offer Cory Paterson a release from his Newcastle contract or have his cards been marked at the Knights since the talented back-rower appointed Khoder Nasser as his manager.

Sin Bin was told earlier this year that a senior Knights official warned Paterson not to get involved with Team Mundine after he sparred with Sonny Bill Williams in January and the attitude of some others at the club towards him has changed since he linked with Nasser.

Despite starting every match he has been available for this season, Paterson has been named on the interchange bench each week and on Monday the 23-year-old was told that he wasn't a part of the club's plans when Bennett comes on board next year.

Paterson underwent knee surgery on Wednesday but hopes to be back playing within a month.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ll-in-frame-20110519-1ev0u.html#ixzz1MrRp0d00

perverse

Referee
yeah, as previously stated, don't care much on Pato. the Team Mundine shit killed it off for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the club has been hand-offish with him at the least since then, too. they are poison... and i wouldn't want them around anyone at our club.

RHCP

Bench
I was harsh in my previous assessment on Pato, re read the article and he did in fact make a statement about wanting to rip in for the team for the rest of this season rather than just look for pity, which I felt he was doing at the time. Probably the journalists doing putting that quote at the end, but who knows.

Nasser is poison.

In Pato's case, that wouldn't be the worst thing. He's still very young, with all the potential in the world...he's just lazy. The way Pato handles this will tell us everything about his character. If he runs to Bennett begging for another chance because he loves the club (as much as he says he does), then I would have no issues letting him see out his contract next year to see what he can do. Considering he's following instructions from Nesser though, I think he'll run to the highest bidder...and if he does that then good riddance. Pato has a lot of talent, but we don't want lazy, money hungry players at the club. He can piss off to LOL@50uff$ if that's the case.

I hope he's not using reverse psychology on Kaufusi though. I want him gone!

Not even our mob would want this pea heart.He can ply his trade at Lakes United

Johns Magic

Referee
Cory strikes while gridiron hot

Adrian Proszenko

May 22, 2011

ipad-art-wide-cory-paterson-420x0.jpg

UNWANTED Knights forward Cory Paterson is again contemplating a switch to America's NFL.

The Sun-Herald can reveal Paterson met a representative of Australian-based American football scouts Ozpunt at a Bar Beach cafe in Newcastle on Friday.

The Newcastle forward is under contract until next season but has been told he isn't a part of incoming coach Wayne Bennett's plans, and has been given permission to explore his options.

One of them is a potential boxing career, believed to be one of the reasons he appointed Khoder Nasser - the man guiding Anthony Mundine - as his new manager.

However, because Nasser is not an NRL-accredited agent, he will not be able to broker a rugby league deal with rival clubs.

Not for the first time, American football has become a realistic option. Three years ago, Paterson went on a two-week US tour with Ozpunt, which included stops at Dallas, Phoenix, San Francisco, Los Angeles and a trial with the Oakland Raiders. He ruled out an immediate switch to the NFL at the time but the latest developments at Newcastle have again piqued his interest.

''I still believe he can be a great success in the NFL, and we're more than happy to get to that if he wants to,'' Ozpunt's Paul Shepherd said.

''He'd walk it in as a kicker, doing kick-offs, etc. He's got terrific size, power and speed, and with 12 months of training, he could work into a defensive role on the field.''

Kickers are guaranteed a minimum wage of $350,000 a year upon signing but that would balloon to seven figures the following season if they made the grade. On-field roles start around $5 million.

''He's got what it takes,'' Shepherd said. ''It's about taking the risk and making it pay off. There is a good year's work involved but he could make it no problem at all.''

Ozpunt - the Australian Punting and Kicking Academy - has placed more than a dozen players in the US college system, and has also enjoyed success in assisting budding stars' transition to the big league.

Paterson, a Newcastle junior, is heartbroken at being forced out of his home town. The former Australian Schoolboys star, who has made all of his 77 NRL appearances for the club, is believed to be on a contract worth close to $300,000 a season. The Knights, who have just signed Blues prop Kade Snowden and are in the market for Darius Boyd, are trying to free up space under the salary cap.

''I'm a massive supporter of the Knights Old Boys and the whole club culture here - one town, one team - I'm all for that, and that's what I love about the place,'' Paterson told The Newcastle Herald during the week.

''It's my home. It's where every major significant thing in my life has happened. My son [Jax] was born here, I got married [to wife Sarah] here, I made my debut here.''

Paterson will miss today's clash against the Roosters with a shoulder injury but he recently tweeted that he was hopeful of returning soon.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...trikes-while-gridiron-hot-20110521-1exr9.html

88.Knights

Juniors
i hope he gets back on the field and has a real dig this year and show he wants to stay and what he can do under bennett and then take a big paycut of course. Thats if all the talk that he wants to stay in nrl and at newcastle is true.

but it looks like the smart option for him is nfl, obviously theres big bucks there and if your a kicker you run on 4 about 30 secs then run off again not to much time to be slacking there.

Burwood

Bench
How many young guys are there over in the US that will be fighting Paterson every step of the way for a place in the squad? Guys that have been coached professionally for a number of years. They've gone through the college system. They have played gridiron for their entire life.

In Australia Paterson may be a good athlete with lots of potential, but over in the US you'd have to think that there are a 1000 younger, stronger and quicker blokes all capable of becoming a professional punter.

Hanscholo

Bench
Bennett likes tough, hard forwards that work hard. Patterson is not like that, he is the mid 90's style of back rower, and bennett doesnt play adam muir types, his 2nd rowers play like props or locks.

Apey

Staff member
Perhaps Paterson is the sheep and Nasser in the shepherd... lol...

Latest posts