What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Green's outdated coaching style with an injury riddled team shredded Robinson's team in the 2017 finals.

Green's biggest mistake was putting JT back at halfback in 2017 after the team started working together better than they ever had with Morgo running the show at 7. I can understand why he went back to JT though, it would have been a huge call to make him take the back seat in his final year.

We've only seen glimpses of it because the first game was in the wet and last week the forwards got completely owned before we could do anything, but I think the style of play we've had this year is totally different to recent years. It looks to be based around offloading, something that was almost banned in Green's teams in recent years. We are leading the competition for offloads in the first 2 rounds with 28 in two games.

Trent Robinson changed his style after our defeat of them in 2017.

Paul Green only mixed things up in 2017 because injuries forced his hands. He couldn't wait to go back to the old in 2018....

There is some offloading, but it is the same style overall: a handful of forwards to carry the team with a power game, halves largely having to be robotic, and the backline filled with dudes built almost like backrowers rather than backs.

elyod138

Bench
There is some offloading, but it is the same style overall: a handful of forwards to carry the team with a power game, halves largely having to be robotic, and the backline filled with dudes built almost like backrowers rather than backs.

It sounds like you're describing some of the basic elements all teams have to have to complete in the NRL. What would be your game plan?

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
It sounds like you're describing some of the basic elements all teams have to have to complete in the NRL. What would be your game plan?

Do you see other teams as robotic as us? Do you see other teams as slow and uninspiring as our centre three quarter? Seriously, most of our backline have the speed and footwork of forwards....
Do you see other teams as reliant on one forward as us? (albeit a bloody good one).

elyod138

Bench
Do you see other teams as robotic as us? Do you see other teams as slow and uninspiring as our centre three quarter? Seriously, most of our backline have the speed and footwork of forwards....
Do you see other teams as reliant on one forward as us? (albeit a bloody good one).
What is your game plan? Talking about the backline quality of the squad isn't a gameplan.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I eluded to this earlier in the thread but I'll reiterate: there are a few coaches that deserve to be looking over their shoulders right now (Dean Pay, Mary and Brennan) but Paul Green really isn't one.

Paul Green will get the benefit of the doubt. Partially because we only resigned him a year ago. Partly in good faith for past accolades. That faith will soon disappear if he doesn't evolve.

I actually don't want him to be sacked. I just want him to notice the bleeding obvious.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I just hope we still get to see the epic Clash of the Centres match up when the Cowboys play the Roosters.

Latrell & Manu up against O'Neill & Opacic.

The Irresistible Forces vs the Inanimate Objects that don't Move.

Reactions: Vee

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I just hope we still get to see the epic Clash of the Centres match up when the Cowboys play the Roosters.

If hampto catches it and passes it to nene which gives him more then 30cm of space between him and the defenders and also shows more acceleration than a dugong Opacic will hopefully stay at the glue factory

Whip Whitaker

Juniors

In all honesty Tommy, the Chooks are going to be tested like any defending premier is. Remaining motivated across a loooooong season (plus rep footy) will really test the Chooks.

Plus I think there are going to be some complications between Keary and Cronk moving forward. Keary will now want more control of the team, and I don't think Cronk is particularly happy he was not a bigger reason for the premiership last year. This has the potential to be a massive issue (but then again there is great potential if they figure out how to co-exist).

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
If hampto catches it and passes it to nene which gives him more then 30cm of space between him and the defenders and also shows more acceleration than a dugong Opacic will hopefully stay at the glue factory

That depends on the initial service from dummy half... :)

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
You dont make grand finals because of 'luck and injuries'

Wtf are you clowns on about?

I still think it was one of the better coaching performances going around to convince a lot of players to keep digging in while they were playing through injuries, or were replacing (on paper) superior players.
But we were seconds away from elimination, but the Dragons imploded and gave us a finals birth. If that is not luck to be in the finals, then why not?

I also think that he we been full strength that season, he would have been reluctant to have changed much from 2016. I am basing this on the fact that in 2018, when we had all the cattle to pick from, he went ultra conservative again. It was only late in the season that he finally got the message and made some changes.

Paul Green CAN coach. I just feel he can be stubborn to a fault at times. 2017 is proof he can evolve when his hands are forced. 2018 is proof he will be conservative because he feels he can.

I also feel he was seconds away from ditching us for the Broncos. But JT was seconds away from ditching us for Penrith. Fortunately, they both decided to stay.