What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Press Conference Thread

Mr Red

First Grade
Next year..
"They scored 36 points from kicks...."

He's seriously out of his depth.... Ultimate dribbler .

Morotti

Juniors
The thing that worries me greatly about his press conferences is they are full of excuses. He says we defended a lot in the first 20, penalty count was against us and they had us starting off our 10 metres all game. All of that is true but we are the ones fiving away penalties and not having good enough defence so we start sets off in a better position. All of those are factors we can control and its as if he is saying they were things outside of our control and we did the best that we could in the circumstances.

I mean if that is how we turn up when our season is on the line, it's pretty sad. I turned off the game at the 50 minute mark.

since77

Juniors
The thing that worries me greatly about his press conferences is they are full of excuses. He says we defended a lot in the first 20, penalty count was against us and they had us starting off our 10 metres all game. All of that is true but we are the ones fiving away penalties and not having good enough defence so we start sets off in a better position. All of those are factors we can control and its as if he is saying they were things outside of our control and we did the best that we could in the circumstances.

It's because he is haplessly out of his depth. He's a park footy coach who's been given a job way beyond his ability. It continues to boggle my mind that the board could not only appoint him, but continue to permit this farce to go on.

I mean if that is how we turn up when our season is on the line, it's pretty sad. I turned off the game at the 50 minute mark.

Yes, he's very good at telling us WHAT happened instead of WHY it happened.

Straight Shooter

uSaint_Revolt

Juniors
What kind of questions do these journalists ask in these press conferences to allow McGregor and Widdop to sit there and offer up the same drivel? I know the media aren't mic'd up but one can only assume the lines of inquiry are fairly open ended because Coach DUI keeps moping about opposition tries from kicks (like they are some sort of unsolvable mystery of the universe) and players energy being "zapped" from defending repeat sets. Same twaddle week after week.

Quiz the imbecile over what results his idiotic Marketo/ Rein experiment has yielded thus far. Query his decision to keep Luciano on the bench until the chooks had flown the coup. Maybe ask Widdop if he feels any level of accountability for such a poor display of on field leadership (a few opportunistic tries aside) and how he would feel about handing the responsibility to Joel Thompson who shows the way with deeds not words.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

After 20 mins we were still in the game 6-0 with a try from (dare I say it) a kick. They scored another at the 27th minute mark and went in at half time 14-6 down.
So, then we had a half time break, enough time to re-energize and re-gas.

So, McGregor what happened between the 49th - 60th minutes, surely, a fit well coached team wouldn't be "gassed" after 9 mins of the second half resumption.

"Please explain"

since77

Juniors
What kind of questions do these journalists ask in these press conferences to allow McGregor and Widdop to sit there and offer up the same drivel? I know the media aren't mic'd up but one can only assume the lines of inquiry are fairly open ended because Coach DUI keeps moping about opposition tries from kicks (like they are some sort of unsolvable mystery of the universe) and players energy being "zapped" from defending repeat sets. Same twaddle week after week.

Quiz the imbecile over what results his idiotic Marketo/ Rein experiment has yielded thus far. Query his decision to keep Luciano on the bench until the chooks had flown the coup. Maybe ask Widdop if he feels any level of accountability for such a poor display of on field leadership (a few opportunistic tries aside) and how he would feel about handing the responsibility to Joel Thompson who shows the way with deeds not words.

Have often mused on this myself. My guess is that negative questions would lead to their name being put on the "do not talk to" list and thus less access to coach and players at later dates - so the "journalists" stick to spinelessly regurgitating quotes.

dragonreddy

Juniors
After 20 mins we were still in the game 6-0 with a try from (dare I say it) a kick. They scored another at the 27th minute mark and went in at half time 14-6 down.
So, then we had a half time break, enough time to re-energize and re-gas.

So, McGregor what happened between the 49th - 60th minutes, surely, a fit well coached team wouldn't be "gassed" after 9 mins of the second half resumption.

"Please explain"

McGregor looking at lobbying the NRL to cut games to 60 mins and shorten fields to 98m as it just isn't fair on us at the moment.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I watched the Press Conference again and I honestly think he's trolling the fans. That's the only logical conclusion I can come to on this.

Surely he can't be that arrogant and/or stupid!?

Zucchini

Juniors
I watched the Press Conference again and I honestly think he's trolling the fans. That's the only logical conclusion I can come to on this.

Surely he can't be that arrogant and/or stupid!?

I had to watch it again, too. He talks about things happening as if we've been hardly done by; like we play no role or have anything to do with them having 60% possession and getting back to back sets, for example. He mentions the "tries from kicks" thing twice. Once says "they scored 18 points from kicks" and another "scored 3 tries from kicks"....

Yes he can be that arrogant and/or stupid. As I've said before, think Trump. Dangerous.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade

exactly, the better teams in the comp are successful because they deal with adversity

nortyboi3

Juniors
Widdop looks unengaged and distant in nearly every press conference..... I guess it's because we play like under 8's most weeks.