What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peachy now gone???

OldPanther

Coach
So if that is the case. You'd be happy for Blake to miss out? Afterall Peachey and Whare are the incumbent centres

Nope. As far as I'm concerned Blake/Peachy are pur best centre pair. Whare was injured which is unfortunate but that's part of the game.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nope. As far as I'm concerned Blake/Peachy are pur best centre pair. Whare was injured which is unfortunate but that's part of the game.

Peachey/Whare were our centres last game we played though. Blake is currently on restricted training so why was it wrong to bring Whare back in the same case but not Blake?

kinghippo

Juniors
If players didn't get shuffled he never would of played centre. Surely you see the irony in your post?
I did say maybe he shouldn’t have been put into centre in the first place.
Surely you see the irony in your not seeing the words that Cleary say that while talking about irony.

OldPanther

Coach
Peachey/Whare were our centres last game we played though. Blake is currently on restricted training so why was it wrong to bring Whare back in the same case but not Blake?

Whare was out long term. 2 ACL injuries later there is always a risk of losing your spot. It's not comparable.

Lets not kid ourselves. Whare got the 5 year contract because it would have been cheaper than what Peachey worth after make a big case for himself in the position.

franklin2323

Immortal
I did say maybe he shouldn’t have been put into centre in the first place.
Surely you see the irony in your not seeing the words that Cleary say that while talking about irony.

You can't have it both ways though. How do you know that someone playing in another position isn't better playing in another position?

franklin2323

Immortal
Whare was out long term. 2 ACL injuries later there is always a risk of losing your spot. It's not comparable.

Lets not kid ourselves. Whare got the 5 year contract because it would have been cheaper than what Peachey worth after make a big case for himself in the position.

Remember how Blake's season ending in 2016? Shoulder injury. Same injury Blake had this season.

This is the healing time for an ACL. Mansour wasn't at 100% either this year he should be back to his oldself

After six months, assuming your damaged tissues have fully healed, you can return to athletic activity. Many doctors recommend the use of a supportive brace for one to two years after ACL surgery

Same case as Blake won't be 100% either to start the season. He should start the season and get up to speed as Whare did last year.

OldPanther

Coach
I like peachey, really do. But the guy doesn’t pass the freakin’ ball! If he’s going to play centre long term he needs to correct that.

That was always really frustrating. Hopefully Whare comes good and provides ball for Mansour and the super defence he's supposed to possess.

OldPanther

Coach
Remember how Blake's season ending in 2016? Shoulder injury. Same injury Blake had this season.

This is the healing time for an ACL. Mansour wasn't at 100% either this year he should be back to his oldself

After six months, assuming your damaged tissues have fully healed, you can return to athletic activity. Many doctors recommend the use of a supportive brace for one to two years after ACL surgery

Same case as Blake won't be 100% either to start the season. He should start the season and get up to speed as Whare did last year.

As I said. You are lying to yourself if you think it wasn't motivated by money. It's not a contest between Whare and Blake, Blake has become the best centre at the club. The other side is what is being disputed and even so I'll wish Whare all the best and hope he comes good now that the spot is his.

Edit: to be clear, I rate Blake so much I'd have the club lose Peachey and Whare both if we had to in order to keep Blake.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
As I said. You are lying to yourself if you think it wasn't motivated by money. It's not a contest between Whare and Blake, Blake has become the best centre at the club. The other side is what is being disputed and even so I'll wish Whare all the best and hope he comes good now that the spot is his.

Edit: to be clear, I rate Blake so much I'd have the club lose Peachey and Whare both if we had to in order to keep Blake.

No doubt it is for money but we want to win so wouldn't knowingly sign a terrible player for 5 years
why did Whare want it is the questionPlay 2 years of NSW Cup until Peachey goes can get better money elsewhere likely.

So he must think he has some hope of knocking Peachey off and the fact Peachey is looking somewhere else. Would tell me at train opposed sessions Whare is the centre

OldPanther

Coach
No doubt it is for money but we want to win so wouldn't knowingly sign a terrible player for 5 years
why did Whare want it is the questionPlay 2 years of NSW Cup until Peachey goes can get better money elsewhere likely.

So he must think he has some hope of knocking Peachey off and the fact Peachey is looking somewhere else. Would tell me at train opposed sessions Whare is the centre

Is there any doubt Peachy is gone at this point? We might have him this year but next he surely leaves. He's offered big money, Whare has a big contract and looked to be improving (he crunch TTurbo out of the game in the final)

To answer your question. I don't think Whare gets another offer at that time.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Is there any doubt Peachy is gone at this point? We might have him this year but next he surely leaves. He's offered big money, Whare has a big contract and looked to be improving (he crunch TTurbo out of the game in the final)

Money aside he will start every week in that GC team. I am shocked he has taken so long to sign

mxlegend99

Referee
MX you need to think this through a bit more. Soward and Wallace were old and proof that Soward's body couldn't handle it can be seen by how he left the club went to super league and didn't play very well there. If he was a spine player capable of taking a club to top four, as you suggest, then surely he would of:
a been signed by an NRL club; or
b )been a stand out in the UK.

Both halves were younger in Round 1 2016 than James Maloney is this year.

There's alot more than 2 halves to play better before or after Hook was coach. Young halves. Old halves. Guys who should be in the peak of their careers.

Hook has a history of f**king them around. Long before he ever set foot in Penrith he coildnt make up his mind on a halves pairing.

He used Norman at fullback trying to turn Hoffman into a 6 ffs. He shuffled Hunt and Wallace around for an ageing Prince. His entire time at Broncos the only yime his halves were settled was with Lockyer.

But lets blame the 15 halves that failed under him despite being successful the years before and after he left. Hell in the case of TMM he played in a grand final the year Hook decided he wasnt good enough to crack our halves.

Broncos were a fringe top 8 side with him (like us) and waltzed straight into a grand final when he left. We could do the same if we had a first grade roster left by the time hes done dismantling our side.

mxlegend99

Referee
Really so what coach signed Soward from us then? If he is as good as you say then surely he would be in the NRL still

Look at the starting halves for this year and the ages. You will see why they weren't good enough... At the time. A point you seem to simple to understand
Jamie Soward on this day in 2016 was 31 and 94 days
James Maloney today is 31 and 242 days.

Peter Wallace was younger than both.

Lets see.
Cronk is 34
Thurston is 35 shortly
Maloney is 32 shortly
Pearce is 29 shortly

But yeah Wallace and Soward were too old. Had nothing to do with Hook being shit and not knowing how to get the best out of halves.

I guess TMM, Norman, Hunt etc. Were just too young. Hook is completely innocent in every half being average at best under him.

mxlegend99

Referee
If players didn't get shuffled he never would of played centre. Surely you see the irony in your post?
He was only ever a utility for us. Getting thrown in at centre was reducing the shuffling of Peachey.

He could play Hooker. Half. Lock. Second Row in a few weeks. Never getting a chance to settle and find form.

He was required at centre. Stops getting shuffled and had his most consistent run of form in first grade. Hes a very poor half and hooker... very much in the Kurt Gidley form of utility. He plays there. But not necessarily well.

Hooker should be his position with his dynamite dummy half running. His build. Strength. Speed etc. Are perfect But his terrible passes and backing himself more often than not made him a liability there.

franklin2323

Immortal
Jamie Soward on this day in 2016 was 31 and 94 days
James Maloney today is 31 and 242 days.

Peter Wallace was younger than both.

Lets see.
Cronk is 34
Thurston is 35 shortly
Maloney is 32 shortly
Pearce is 29 shortly

But yeah Wallace and Soward were too old. Had nothing to do with Hook being shit and not knowing how to get the best out of halves.

I guess TMM, Norman, Hunt etc. Were just too young. Hook is completely innocent in every half being average at best under him.

How many injures have those halves had though? JT is starting to get some but the rest have limited injures. It is this grey area you don't seem to understand

Soward had back injuries most of his career. If he could go on why did he retire?
Wallace 3 ACL's numerous other injuries

Maloney games played:

2010 24 games
2011 27 games
2012 24 games
2013 23 games (Missed a few due to SOO)
2014 27 games
2015 27 games
2016 25 games (missed a few due to SOO)
2017 20 games (Missed a few with SOO)

Compare that to say younger halves in Reynolds, Hodkinson or Foran and he is durable which puts him closer to Cronk in durability

I noticed you ignored where I said what are the ave age for halves in the comp?

If Brodie Croft plays 7 for Storm he is 20 if not it is 25 yo Jacks
Cleary 20
Ash Taylor 21.
Luke Brooks and Kodi Nikorima 23

None of them will be in their peak anytime soon. So why would Hunt or Norman be different

franklin2323

Immortal
MX you need to think this through a bit more. Soward and Wallace were old and proof that Soward's body couldn't handle it can be seen by how he left the club went to super league and didn't play very well there. If he was a spine player capable of taking a club to top four, as you suggest, then surely he would of:
a been signed by an NRL club; or
b )been a stand out in the UK.

Neither of these things happened because he was past it. His body couldn't handle it any more. So your hypothesis of a club with a "top four roster" just doesn't hold water. To prolong Wallace's career he was moved to hooker, do you think that was the wrong call? Griffin had an inexperienced fullback/5/8th/halfback because those he inherited were past it. Even Moylan was hardly a 100 game veteran. In fact Moylan didn't become a 50 game player until the end of 2015. So Hook had two old clapped out halves and a fullback who had exactly 50 games at fullback under his belt. His experienced hooker was injured and played 1 game in 2016.

Just step back a minute and think about what clubs are winning premierships and finishing top four. It is not one with rookie halves, 50 game fullbacks and player new at the hooker position. Incidentally, if the team was full of rep players or superstars, then maybe they had a chance, but the club didn't have any superstars besides Merrin.

Come on, look at the facts, your statement just doesn't add up.

Facts have no place in these inane rants he goes on with