What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Differentials

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
Before they played Panthers, Roosters won the penalty count against Titans 7-3.
Lost it 7-6 v Dragons.
5-5 in NZ
Lost 8-7 ar Cronulla

They haven't really been on the receiving end recently have they?

Out of curiosity, I checked. The last time they played Souths it was 4-4.[/QUOTE]

And what were they in last year's prelim - something like 12 -5 to souths.

But if you remember that prelim souths were really struggling early in the game and couldnt find anything to get them moving. How would we have gotten the fairy tale grand final win if not for those penalties

The Pelican

Juniors
Before they played Panthers, Roosters won the penalty count against Titans 7-3.
Lost it 7-6 v Dragons.
5-5 in NZ
Lost 8-7 ar Cronulla

They haven't really been on the receiving end recently have they?

Out of curiosity, I checked. The last time they played Souths it was 4-4.

Interestingly, in the first 7 rounds of this season before the article written by Rothfield on April 20th, our penalty differential was -22, with no penalty count wins.

In the 9 rounds since the article our penalty differential has been 0, with three wins in the penalty count.

What a coincidence:sarcasm:

It actually says more than 7, so they still didn't receive more than 7 last week, but they did win the penalty count. And it hasn't stopped the Roosters being premiers and then minor premiers in that time. Which was the point I'm making. They get handsome return for losing the penalty count, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Their supporters are just trying to increase the advantage they receive from cheating even further.

My view is that the sin bin should be used for repeated infringements. Penalties clearly are insufficient deterrent.

There are 6 teams that have conceded more penalties than the Roosters so far this year. One of them being your team, Penrith, funnily enough. Yet this hasn't stopped Penrith from receiving 39 more penalties than the Roosters so far this year.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Clearly Roosters need training on how not to get dominated in tackles. Defenders get much more leeway in dominant tackles and concede fewer penalties.

Interestingly, in the first 7 rounds of this season before the article written by Rothfield on April 20th, our penalty differential was -22, with no penalty count wins.

In the 9 rounds since the article our penalty differential has been 0, with three wins in the penalty count.

What a coincidence:sarcasm:

LOL. It's quite amazing that we haven't been reamed by the refs since that article came out. I agree with you though. Pure coincidence. :roll::roll::roll:

On a related note, i've got a question for the people (morons) that actually think the Roosters deliberately give away penalties to re-set their defensive line:

Why are no other teams copying us?

If this is actually our strategy to win games, then it is obviously working. Since Robinson took over we have won 48 out of 70 games (69%), two minor premierships and are currently sitting in third on the NRL ladder. Why are no other clubs taking notice of this genius strategy and attempting to do the same?

Could it be that no other teams are copying us because this "strategy" doesn't exist because it was created by the Channel 9 commentary team? :lol:

Cockosh

Juniors
It actually says more than 7, so they still didn't receive more than 7 last week, but they did win the penalty count. And it hasn't stopped the Roosters being premiers and then minor premiers in that time. Which was the point I'm making. They get handsome return for losing the penalty count, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Their supporters are just trying to increase the advantage they receive from cheating even further.

My view is that the sin bin should be used for repeated infringements. Penalties clearly are insufficient deterrent.

Obviously you like myths. Here are some facts instead regarding easts penalties
Update to rd15

100 penalties conceded in 14 games.
Only 37 penalties conceded in their own half (8 vs Cowboys rd1)
20 penalties conceded inside their own 20 ( 4 vs Cowboys rd1)
59 penalties conceded in the oppositions half
32 of these inside the oppositions 25 metres
32% of all Roosters penalties conceded are inside the oppositions 25m.
15 penalties conceded inside our own 10m defending our line. That averages to 1 per game.
4 penalties in possession

Deliberate tactics lol

ek999

First Grade
What are the stats for all other teams? Presenting the numbers only for the Roosters means nothing when there is nothing to compare it to.

The other thing is that the Roosters coach, players and fans love to proudly boast that they, and they alone, do not play for penalties. If they don't play for penalties isn't it a bit rich for them to then complain that they don't get as many as all the other clubs who will actively try and get penalties?

It seems like a pretty simple answer to me. If you want more penalties like other teams get then try and milk them. If you don't want to do that then you need to accept that you will receive less than all other teams

Cockosh

Juniors
My stats are in response to a specific myth that roosters give away penalties on purpose defending their own line. Not sure how comparing to other teams is irrelevant. We average about one penalty a game inside our own 20. Most are inside the oppositions 20. How is that an advantage?

Even teams that play for penalties only get a handful for diving. The vast majority are for ruck infringements something the roosters or any attacking team for that matter doesn't control.

Your comments could be taken as confirmation that other teams deliberately cheat

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah if they had laid down in the past they probably win more penalty counts and get the penalties they bitch that they don't get. Their fortunes have changed lately. Which could be due to the article ran earlier in the year, or it could be due to the fact that the video referee isn't awarding penalties for a player who cops a soft high shot and lays down for it.

I would imagine a lot of teams have suffered similar changes now that penalties aren't as easily milked. Unless you're a Storm player... they take milking penalties to a whole new level. Then whinge when they are penalised for breaking someones neck.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
It is True that the Roosters have received 8 or more penalties only once this year.
They have received 6 or 7 penalties in 9 matches.
So all up 6+ in 10 out of 16 games.

Nice work drawing the line at 'more than 7' Tommy.

Cockosh

Juniors
Yet we still have the least penalties for this year.

41 less than Sharks despite playing all the same teams except Knights.

Cockosh

Juniors
It is True that the Roosters have received 8 or more penalties only once this year.
They have received 6 or 7 penalties in 9 matches.
So all up 6+ in 10 out of 16 games.

Nice work drawing the line at 'more than 7' Tommy.

Just a minor correction. We have not received 8 this year. It was last year. Happened just once lol

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Just a minor correction. We have not received 8 this year. It was last year. Happened just once lol

It was round 2 last year against the Eels. We received 11 penalties and won by 50. It obviously isn't good for business. You have to love the comments on the SMH article. One said that the Roosters on average receive as many penalties as any other team. Another said he looked at the stats on the NRL site and showed we have received the 6th most penalties this season (It is actually 6th most conceded, however despite this we are the only team that deliberately give away penalties lol). Despite this article stating the Roosters rank 16th this season in penalties received.

It is an indictment on the level of intelligence of a lot of League fans who comment on these articles. Alongside this claim it somehow related to the Roosters indiscipline, yet penalties received has nothing to do with the Roosters and everything to do with the oppositions discipline which magically improves when they play the Roosters. You know the people who use these arguments lack basic intelligence.

It ranks up there with the stupidest statements i have read, along with 'NFL players are really smart' yet Americans that I work with laugh at how stupid most of them are and that half of them would be in jail but for NFL. I mean they blow their fingers off with firecrackers, fall out of moving trucks etc.. I feel sorry for these dumb pricks who think they spend their spare time looking for cures for cancer etc.. It opens your eyes to how many stupid people there are around.

Dogmatix

Juniors
If you look at the Roosters starting 13 for this week you find

1. NZ International
2. Origin player
3. Origin player
4. Origin player
5. NZ International
6. Origin player
7. Origin player
8. NZ International
9. Origin player of the future
10. Origin player of the future
11. Origin player
12. Plodder
13. Origin player

So 10 rep players and 2 players likely to play Origin in the future. Even their plodder is an honest plodder

Plenty of other teams would be happy to cop a lopsided penalty count if their team had 10 rep players in the starting 13. The way I see it these penalty counts are sent by the football gods to even up for the Roosters advantage in playing squad strength

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lol Aubusson a plodder.

Almost as funny as, and I'm paraphrasing "the Roosters are so good they deserve referee bias against them".

Danish

Referee
If you look at the Roosters starting 13 for this week you find

1. NZ International
2. Origin player
3. Origin player
4. Origin player
5. NZ International
6. Origin player
7. Origin player
8. NZ International
9. Origin player of the future
10. Origin player of the future
11. Origin player
12. Plodder
13. Origin player

So 10 rep players and 2 players likely to play Origin in the future. Even their plodder is an honest plodder

Plenty of other teams would be happy to cop a lopsided penalty count if their team had 10 rep players in the starting 13. The way I see it these penalty counts are sent by the football gods to even up for the Roosters advantage in playing squad strength

One of those "origin player"s is Pearce though

Danish

Referee
The Roosters won the penalty count 7-6 against the Panthers last Saturday, and at Penrith as well. They picked a bad week to run this story.

It is well known in the game that the Roosters concede penalties strategically, mostly for holding down, in order to get their defence set. Often they get away with it (not as often as the Storm though). Other teams attempt to run a disciplined game, which appears to be a losing strategy these days. The Roosters appear to get ample rewards for giving penalties away, or else they would not do it.

Not like any other teams do that, aye? Cartwright certainly didn't concede two blatant penalties right in front to give up a penalty goal instead do a try on the weekend against us or anything like that.

Oh, and if the refs start sin binning players for giving away too many penalties, well your side is giving away more than mine this season so you might want to rethink so you think that would actually effect