What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Differentials

Cockosh

Juniors
If you look at the Roosters starting 13 for this week you find

1. NZ International
2. Origin player
3. Origin player
4. Origin player
5. NZ International
6. Origin player
7. Origin player
8. NZ International
9. Origin player of the future
10. Origin player of the future
11. Origin player
12. Plodder
13. Origin player

So 10 rep players and 2 players likely to play Origin in the future. Even their plodder is an honest plodder

Plenty of other teams would be happy to cop a lopsided penalty count if their team had 10 rep players in the starting 13. The way I see it these penalty counts are sent by the football gods to even up for the Roosters advantage in playing squad strength

So the dogs should expect the same then? 13 out of your 18 squad this weekend are rep players.

1. Brett Morris Australia/NSW
2. Curtis Rona
3. Josh Morris Australia/NSW
4. Timoteo Lafai Samoa
5. Sam Perrett NZ
6. Josh Reynolds NSW
7. Trent Hodkinson NSW
8. Aiden Tolman COUNTRY
9. Michael Lichaa
10. James Graham GB INTL
11. Josh Jackson NSW
12. Frank Pritchard NZ
13. Greg Eastwood NZ

I14. Sam Kasiano NZ
15. Shaun Lane FUTURE RRP
16. David Klemmer AUSTRALIA NSW
17. Moses Mbye
22. Tim Browne

mxlegend99

Referee
So the dogs should expect the same then? 13 out of your 18 squad this weekend are rep players.

1. Brett Morris Australia/NSW
2. Curtis Rona
3. Josh Morris Australia/NSW
4. Timoteo Lafai Samoa
5. Sam Perrett NZ
6. Josh Reynolds NSW
7. Trent Hodkinson NSW
8. Aiden Tolman COUNTRY
9. Michael Lichaa
10. James Graham GB INTL
11. Josh Jackson NSW
12. Frank Pritchard NZ
13. Greg Eastwood NZ

I14. Sam Kasiano NZ
15. Shaun Lane FUTURE RRP
16. David Klemmer AUSTRALIA NSW
17. Moses Mbye
22. Tim Browne
Lol. Samoan and Country jerseys don't count for rep players. They are given out to anyone eligible pretty much. You also have to go a fair way back for some of those rep games.

Definitely an above average rep showing. But not close to the Roosters quality as a whole.

The way I see it these penalty counts are sent by the football gods to even up for the Roosters advantage in playing squad strength

So in other words it is ok for the referees to be partial and biased is what you are saying? It is ok for the rules of the game to not be applied fairly and even handedly? :crazy:

Cockosh

Juniors
Lol. Samoan and Country jerseys don't count for rep players. They are given out to anyone eligible pretty much. You also have to go a fair way back for some of those rep games.

Definitely an above average rep showing. But not close to the Roosters quality as a whole.

Honestly mate. It's ok for you to predict a future rep but I cannot put in a current rep. Even if you take those two out it still leaves 11 international or origin reps. Fair way back, who? You include Maloney, I give you Reynolds. You say JWH I say Pritchard. It's amazing how selective people choose to be to back up their argument. Of all the people to criticise chooks roster dogs fans should be last. At least most of our players have never played 1st grade for anyone else.
Pearce, Friend, RTS, aubo, cordner, skd, sst, Liu, guerra, tupou, Napa, Evans, Hastings.

betcats

Referee
Honestly mate. It's ok for you to predict a future rep but I cannot put in a current rep. Even if you take those two out it still leaves 11 international or origin reps. Fair way back, who? You include Maloney, I give you Reynolds. You say JWH I say Pritchard. It's amazing how selective people choose to be to back up their argument. Of all the people to criticise chooks roster dogs fans should be last. At least most of our players have never played 1st grade for anyone else.
Pearce, Friend, RTS, aubo, cordner, skd, sst, Liu, guerra, tupou, Napa, Evans, Hastings.

Kinda like how number 1 whinger Tommy claimed the roosters 'developed' JWH and the Panthers 'poached' Tyrone Peachey when they both came to their new clubs with almost identical experience. And SST played FG for the warriors.

Valheru

Coach
The Roosters won the penalty count 7-6 against the Panthers last Saturday, and at Penrith as well. They picked a bad week to run this story.

It is well known in the game that the Roosters concede penalties strategically, mostly for holding down, in order to get their defence set. Often they get away with it (not as often as the Storm though). Other teams attempt to run a disciplined game, which appears to be a losing strategy these days. The Roosters appear to get ample rewards for giving penalties away, or else they would not do it.

It isn?t well known by anybody. It is a myth perpetuated by those who can?t find a valid reason why the roosters have historically been on the wrong end of the penalty count an unreasonable amount of times. Regardless, it still ahs nothing to do with receiving penalties which is what the article is about.

I agree the article is odd timing though, it must e a slow week at SMH. Since Rothfield wrote his article we have finally had a fair go in the refereeing department so not sure what Adrian is on about TBH.

Cockosh

Juniors
Kinda like how number 1 whinger Tommy claimed the roosters 'developed' JWH and the Panthers 'poached' Tyrone Peachey when they both came to their new clubs with almost identical experience. And SST played FG for the warriors.

Apologies on SST didn't realise he played 1 game for the Warriors, just checked. I Wasn't being selective though. My point to the guy claiming we deserve to be penalised more because of our roster is the same. It is hypocritical. I personally never said we developed all those players. I said they haven't played 1st grade elsewhere which is a better than many boasting about their juniors.

Whether those that hate us want to admit it or not the chooks have been unfairly treated on penalties for years and the stats overwhelmingly prove it. And it isn't just on the penalties received. This whole myth about us giving away penalties on purpose defending our line is totally incorrect and again the numbers prove it. We average one penalty a game inside our own 20. I dare say we are probably one of the better ones. Most of the penalties we give away are in the opposition half. And most of those are late in the tackle count.

The facts are there and all the deflection from rival supporters won't change it. So many examples have been provided that show massive anomalies in chooks penalties against the average over a prolonged period of time yet people want to simply dismiss it coz it's not their team.

It is almost hilarious how after the article by rothfields on the anomalies that the tide immediately turned. Because they don't ref what is in front of them. They ref on suspicion, reputation and influence.

And even with the "improvement" we still have received the least amount of penalties. It is truly amazing. We are 3rd, the comp favorites with a reputation for rolling thru teams yet miraculously our opponents never try to slow down the ruck and are almost never offside.

Cockosh

Juniors
And there is the deflection.

And to answer your question, yes I do. I go to every game with my son and when it gets to the point of being so blatantly obvious you lose the enjoyment. Shouldn't be like that. I want to be angry coz my team played like crap like we did against sharks and titans.

Don't stress yourself responding to the facts. Go think of some more names.

betcats

Referee
You just beat us in a penalty count last week at our home game plus were the beneficiaries of 2 or 3 bullshit knock on calls. The first time we played this year you beat us as well in the penalties and we had a fair try disallowed when even roosters fans were saying its a try. You are acting like you never get any penalties or something. If you are expecting some kind of sympathy or outrage from fans of other clubs on behalf of the rorters you are an idiot, no one gives a f**k.

betcats

Referee
To troll mostly, why would I care if the refs have it out for you? like I have said before I hope the refs rape you every week.

To troll mostly, why would I care if the refs have it out for you? like I have said before I hope the refs rape you every week.

520yz.jpg

Cockosh

Juniors
You just beat us in a penalty count last week at our home game plus were the beneficiaries of 2 or 3 bullshit knock on calls. The first time we played this year you beat us as well in the penalties and we had a fair try disallowed when even roosters fans were saying its a try. You are acting like you never get any penalties or something. If you are expecting some kind of sympathy or outrage from fans of other clubs on behalf of the rorters you are an idiot, no one gives a f**k.

I couldn't care less what other fans think. I just like pointing out facts when people keep throwing up bs myths. Yep we got some calls last week. Penrith beat us in a semi last year coz we had a fair try dissallowed to casty. Not only that he got penalised which led to a try for you in the next set. But that happens in every game and goes both ways. The penalty issue with us is something totally different.

The fact that we have won some recent penalty counts is actually thrown in our face as though we aren't entitled to win or proof that the anomaly with penalties never happened. I have never said others don't cop it too. I am responding to a post about easts. If it's happening to the same extent to other teams why don't the papers feel compelled to write about it? If it just some looney like me writing on a forum about it you could dismiss it as bias but both major papers have now written about it and the numbers are damning.

betcats

Referee
I couldn't care less what other fans think. I just like pointing out facts when people keep throwing up bs myths. Yep we got some calls last week. Penrith beat us in a semi last year coz we had a fair try dissallowed to casty. Not only that he got penalised which led to a try for you in the next set. But that happens in every game and goes both ways. The penalty issue with us is something totally different.

The fact that we have won some recent penalty counts is actually thrown in our face as though we aren't entitled to win or proof that the anomaly with penalties never happened. I have never said others don't cop it too. I am responding to a post about easts. If it's happening to the same extent to other teams why don't the papers feel compelled to write about it? If it just some looney like me writing on a forum about it you could dismiss it as bias but both major papers have now written about it and the numbers are damning.

The papers also felt compelled to write about how unfair the comp is in regards to 3rd party deals and a couple of rich clubs who can spend more than everyone else so when you and your son are watching the roosters im sure you must be pretty upset about how unfair it is the roosters can spend more than every other club besides maybe Brisbane, it must just ruin every win for you knowing you had a big advantage.

Danish

Referee
The papers also felt compelled to write about how unfair the comp is in regards to 3rd party deals and a couple of rich clubs who can spend more than everyone else so when you and your son are watching the roosters im sure you must be pretty upset about how unfair it is the roosters can spend more than every other club besides maybe Brisbane, it must just ruin every win for you knowing you had a big advantage.

Do you have any facts and figures to back up your musings? Or are you just on the rag and having a sook?

Because the penalties argument actually has stats to back it up, as opposed to the "oh look at your squad (that is filled with players who I think are shit but will place insane high values on for the sake of argument)" type PMSing

Tommy Smith

Referee
Let's be honest here... 41 games in a row without receiving more than 7 penalties in a game is the most obscene anomaly in the history of rugby league. So much so that the SMH felt it necessary to write an article.

During that span, and as a comparison, Souths have received that many 18 times.

That is definitive proof of biased officiating. Pre-conceived ideas by the officials. Favouritism. Call it what you will.

I know it. And deep down you surely know it too. Seriously, 41 in a row when the league avg. since 2014 is about every 4 games. Think about that.

No side argument of stealing juniors or purposely giving away penalties can detract from the blindingly obvious stats.

But, it has definitely changed since the Rothfield article and the crackdown on diving. Here's hoping it continues...

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
If a lopsided penalty count can steal your enjoyment, might I suggest there are better sports for you than Rugby League?

Latest posts