What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers lower grades 2024

Girds89

Bench
My Thoughts on a few players

Iongi- Very safe at the back. A touch of class when he chimes in attack. Will make a good solid fullback. Most likely elsewhere.

Mclean - Had one good run, caught out in defence. Still some work to do. Others stood out more. Made 3 errors.

Peach - scored a try.

Fale- Nice try. A couple of linebreaks. A big fella. Could end up the backrow. Nice game from him. Good combo with Toelau.

Alamoti- Was in everything. Very good carries, keen to fight for the ball when it was loose on the ground. Solid in defence. Very impressed.

Toelau- Nice touches of class. Had line breaks, try assists, tries, and forced drop outs. Made one silly error but he look very good. Very crafty in attack. His ball to Fale was a beaut.

Laurie- Had a mixed bag of a game. Couple of line breaks and assists. Backed up well for a try. Did a couple of dumb errors.

Riki- Solid. Better with his carries after his sin binning.

Luke- Looked crafty out of dummy half but over played his hand at times

Grant- Pick of the forwards in the first half. Everyone one of his carries he put his body on the line. Strong game from him. Only thing with him he does have handling error in him.

Sommerton. Strong in defence, Scored a nice sneaky try. Didn't do much wrong. Played a bit of lock after
Price went off.

Hassett. - Worked hard in defence. Solid in carries.

Mav Geyer- Not seeing it. Had a nice flick off load that led to a try. But the rest of his game was going through the motions. Didn't hit hard in runs or defence.

Price- Picked up an injury early. Pity.

Lisati- Had some good carries.

Patea- Got through a lot of work. Added some grunt.

Apelu- Our best forward in the 2nd half. Ran hard, Got through a mountain of work. A lovely off load that
led to a try. Quick play the ball from a big man. Like Grant didn't miss a tackle. Very impressive.

Agree with all this.

Grants been the pick of the forwards to start the year.. apelu been great off the bench.

Mav shouldnt be anywhere near fg atm.

Id like to see him get 45/50mins and rip in.. hes deadset been avg at best to start the year..

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Panthers racking up wins in Harold Matt, SG Ball, Jersey Flegg, NSW Cup and NRL.

The girls had a hard weekend out, hopefully they improve in the weeks to come.

Overall great weekend for the Panthers club.
You pretty much a Panthers fan now? I used to be a Bear but lucky I was only 12 when the merger happened

You pretty much a Panthers fan now? I used to be a Bear but lucky I was only 12 when the merger happened
Always loved the Panthers. Lucky enough to play junior footy with Bears in the late 90s after following them since early 90s and coming from Brisbane, it was a great life opportunity.

I have always cheered the Panthers lads too during my younger days, still have a few friends and business associates who never made grade but came through the Panthers junior systems same time I was playing for the Bears in their junior systems.

When Bears merged I also stopped playing. I had a chance to go to Panthers lower grades through contacts but decided to pursue studies and a career elsewhere and moved back to Queensland.

MugaB

Coach
Anyone see the "unnamed" coach fuming over the mitch kenny ploy article... wery wery funny,
If you are a coach that is fumming over it why not name yourself so that we can see your team won't do that dastardly deed...the f**king whingers never stop, its always the Queenslanders too

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Anyone see the "unnamed" coach fuming over the mitch kenny ploy article... wery wery funny,
If you are a coach that is fumming over it why not name yourself so that we can see your team won't do that dastardly deed...the f**king whingers never stop, its always the Queenslanders too

Either Arthur or Walters. Only two games Kenny has played.
Or Robinson trying to influence ahead of this week's clash.
If that is the best they have. f**k em.

Kilkenny

Coach
John Sagaga scored a good individual try against the Dogs. Clean line break thru the middle and outpaced the fullback in a 50 metre run. Made another clean line break as well. Panthers bombed a couple of certain tries with only the fullback to beat and players in support but somehow failed to capitalise. Good comfortable win in the end.

First time I have seen Francis Manuleleau, came on with a handful of minutes to go and set up a try with a good line break. Recruited him from NZ a season or two back I think.

Bob

Juniors
John Sagaga scored a good individual try against the Dogs. Clean line break thru the middle and outpaced the fullback in a 50 metre run. Made another clean line break as well. Panthers bombed a couple of certain tries with only the fullback to beat and players in support but somehow failed to capitalise. Good comfortable win in the end.

First time I have seen Francis Manuleleau, came on with a handful of minutes to go and set up a try with a good line break. Recruited him from NZ a season or two back I think.
We did, he had big wraps on him as well, from memory was injured last year

Kilkenny

Coach
We did, he had big wraps on him as well, from memory was injured last year
I googled Francis last night and there is not a lot of information about him other than his selections in NZ schoolboys sides, played both league and union at school, 5/8 appeared to be his position at that time. He only came on inside the last 7/8 minutes against the Dogs and he looks a big body perhaps he has outgrown playing 5/8. Selected again off the bench this week so that is a good sign.

Bob

Juniors
I googled Francis last night and there is not a lot of information about him other than his selections in NZ schoolboys sides, played both league and union at school, 5/8 appeared to be his position at that time. He only came on inside the last 7/8 minutes against the Dogs and he looks a big body perhaps he has outgrown playing 5/8. Selected again off the bench this week so that is a good sign.
The article I saw about him was when Brian Smith picked him as the captain of the Future Warriors under 16 side versus the Auckland Vulcans under 16 rep side, he was man of the match, an Impressive feat as he was 14 at the time, his positions were 5/8 or Centre, he was also graded by the warriors at 13

Great to see Cole back in his first cup start this year on Sunday.

Very interesting to see Sommerton named as lock too.

There are a few players in this cup side which I have very limited, if any, prior knowledge on. Anyone have info on them, how they play, how they rate etc?

Prop - Luron Patea
Center - David Fale
Benchies - Alex Seve, Faleata Iosefa, Niko Apelu & Zac Lipowicz

Is Faleata Iosefa related to Masada Iosefa who played between 08-13?

betcats

Referee

There are a few players in this cup side which I have very limited, if any, prior knowledge on. Anyone have info on them, how they play, how they rate etc?

Prop - Luron Patea
Center - David Fale

Patea hard runnning prop, young still. Definitely one for the future.

Not sure on fale background or age, think he’s st Mary’s boy. He’s a tall athletic centre, think waqa black but not as quick and more physical hopefully not as stupid, potentially one for the future.

Apelu is a call up from rm last year I think. Been impressive stocky middle forward, think he plays a bit of hooker.

lipowicz is a line running backrower, like patea he’s young and rated highly, one for the future.

not sure about the rest.

betcats

Referee
With price injury last week sommo and Luke spent a fair bit of time on the field together worked well with sommo doing a lot of the link play like Yeo

Patea hard runnning prop, young still. Definitely one for the future.

Not sure on fale background or age, think he’s st Mary’s boy. He’s a tall athletic centre, think waqa black but not as quick and more physical hopefully not as stupid, potentially one for the future.

Apelu is a call up from rm last year I think. Been impressive stocky middle forward, think he plays a bit of hooker.

lipowicz is a line running backrower, like patea he’s young and rated highly, one for the future.

not sure about the rest.
Sounds promising! Thanks for the summary, I’ll try catch this game online somehow.

Roosters rule

Juniors

Prop - Luron Patea
Center - David Fale

Seve is a half. He was with the Dogs a couple of years ago. He is fast, crafty, and for a little fella, he can put on a big hit.
Iosefa has been playing in the middle, for The Brothers, in the Ron Massey cup.

Last edited:
Strong wins by the Cup and SG sides. Flegg unfortunately got pantsed in their match. Girls struggled in their games, I’m sure they will eventually improve.