What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers to become the Western Sydney Panthers?

DC_fan

Coach
Penrith have denied the are about to change their name to the Western Sydney Panthers.

The club has lodged a trademark application to purchase the name. The move was made to protect the clubs future interests.

I give it a few years and the Penrith Panthers will be no longer. Hello the Western Sydney Panthers.

Though that would create a problem with two teams with the name of wests.

Loudstrat

Coach
Like why would they bother if they had no intention of doing it?

Go the whole hog at least Gus you paranoid ex ranga. Call them GREATER Western Sydney Panthers.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I just don't get why clubs think this will make them more popular.

Melbourne AFL clubs with 1 exception haven't done that. Canterbury, Manly, Parramatta and St George aren't doing it. All those seem to be doing fine.

What kind of genius would wake up one day and be like "Gee I couldn't follow them while they were called "Penrith" because I loathe that suburb with every fibre of my being. But now they are "Western Sydney" I'll happily drive to PENRITH every fortnight to watch them play. I'll buy a jersey and a membership as well".

Dropping "Eastern Suburbs" didn't turn Easts into a powerhouse. The Dogs and Balmain tried it and saw it was stupid.

What happens if the Panthers do that and the next day Canterbury, Wests Tigers and Parramatta all want to do the same thing because they don't want to be overshadowed?

These silly namechanges to try to broaden your appeal have a history of failure, stop trying it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-goulds-taking-no-chances-20120517-1ytn4.html

Penrith supremo Phil Gould said the club had lodged a trademark application for ''Western Sydney Panthers'' as a ''safeguard'' for the future and has no plans to change its name. Gould revealed the club had also registered other names, including West Panthers, Western Panthers, and New West Panthers. The move ensures the club could use those names if they ever decided to expand beyond Penrith or merge with another Sydney club but Gould insisted there were no plans to do so. ''Western Sydney is a very fast growing area, it is very popular with sports and corporates and Penrith has got to look at its future, what area they represent and what club they want to be,'' Gould said. ''It is just something we discussed and we thought it was wise to register those names to ensure that if we ever chose to go that way or if ever the leaders of the club in the future chose to go that way it was available. We don't intend to use it at this time but it is there if every in the future it is needed.'' According to website Sportbizinsider.com.au, the Panthers lodged the trademark applications with IP Australian on May 7. The AFL has registered the name Western Sydney FC.

LESStar58

Referee
Penrith have denied the are about to change their name to the Western Sydney Panthers.

The club has lodged a trademark application to purchase the name. The move was made to protect the clubs future interests.

I give it a few years and the Penrith Panthers will be no longer. Hello the Western Sydney Panthers.

Though that would create a problem with two teams with the name of wests.

Why would they change? They are the Penrith DISTRICT team representing a pocket of western Sydney and not some white elephant AFL team claiming to represent "greater" Western Sydney. To change to "Western Sydney" would be pillaging the identity of the club and insulting the fans.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Why would they change? They are the Penrith DISTRICT team representing a pocket of western Sydney and not some white elephant AFL team claiming to represent "greater" Western Sydney. To change to "Western Sydney" would be pillaging the identity of the club and insulting the fans.
Easts did it with spectacular results,not. So I guess the Panthers want a go too.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I thought we discovered this was stupid when everyone changed their name to Sydney and back again a few years later.

dogslife

Coach
Let's merge all the teams in Western Sydney. The West Penrithmatta-Bankstown Bulltiger-Panthereels has a nice ring to it. Hang on I forgot about the Homebush Rabbitohs, they're part of Western Sydney now, this throws the merger into turmoil

#Hashtagsareforf**kwits... oop

Parra Pride

Referee
Let's merge all the teams in Western Sydney. The West Penrithmatta-Bankstown Bulltiger-Panthereels has a nice ring to it. Hang on I forgot about the Homebush Rabbitohs, they're part of Western Sydney now, this throws the merger into turmoil

I have been called a f**kwit on occasion.

#SoHashtagsAreForMe

the dude

Juniors

You forgot about the Sydney Roosters. I guess because they are called Sydney they represent all of Sydney, including the West.