What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

WestyLife

First Grade
wow 98k is a good find. I got a new car during lockdown and already clocked up 11km

Had to get it from interstate though so got some extra expenses but worth it in the long run. It's a Holden captiva 7 seat. Must have been someone's second car cause it's almost new at 10 years old. Can't wait to drive to games when the chance arrives now.

mxlegend99

Referee
You break those games down and it doesn't look so bad.

Dragons game we lost Fish and To'o mid game.
Had 45% possession
Made 12 errors
They scored 2 tries off kicks and one was a poor read from a rookie left side
Not to mention we had the double movement and missed try not passing it to Edwards

Knights we missed more tackles than them
Less linebreaks so they turned up.
We went in without 4 rep players and Leota who is close. Lost a 2nd rower for the game.
Again the tries scored we down to poor attitude. Which is the down side to playing against 12 players

We have had Salmon play 30 mins at centre
50 mins at 2nd row.

This is on the back of still having the most inexperienced side in the NRL. while losing key players
Round 3 - 13 v 13 score is 6 - 4 against us
We scored 34 points against 12 men and somehow conceded 3 tries

Round 2
13 v 13 score is 16-6 against us
We scored 14 points against Dragons with 12

The attack you rave about us having without Cleary. 48 points out of 86 came against 12 men. Impossible to read into attack when we had a massive advantage and scored more than half our points against 12 men sides.

67 mins vs 12 for 48 points.
173 mins vs 13 for 38 points.

We are not close to almost unbeatable with an injured squad. Our defence is very average too.

Don't get me wrong. We're undefeated which is fantastic. But we've been very fortunate to play against sides with a one man advantage to make that possible.

There's no point throwing out injuries as an excuse. My whole point is that once injuries hit us. We become vulnerable quickly. I made the point before the game and i honestly think we lose to knights if Barnett didn't have a brain snap.

Knights had no right to score 3 tries against us with one less player and their own injury worries. At full strength we put 60+ on them and probably concede nothing to 12 men. But our defence breals down really quick once we lose Fish, leota, Martin, Cleary, To'o. The more missing the more vulnerable we get

Iamback

Coach
Round 3 - 13 v 13 score is 6 - 4 against us
We scored 34 points against 12 men and somehow conceded 3 tries

Round 2
13 v 13 score is 16-6 against us
We scored 14 points against Dragons with 12

The attack you rave about us having without Cleary. 48 points out of 86 came against 12 men.

We are not close to almost unbeatable with an injured squad. Our defence is very average too.

Don't get me wrong. We're undefeated which is fantastic. But we've been very fortunate to play against sides missing players to make that possible.

There's no point throwing out injuries as an excuse. My whole point is that once injuries hit us. We become vulnerable quickly. I made the point before the game and i honestly think we lose to knights if Barnett didn't have a brain snap.

Knights had no right to score 3 tries against us with one less player and their own injury worries. At full strength we put 60+ on them and probably concede nothing to 12 men. But our defence breals down really quick once we lose Fish, leota, Martin, Cleary, To'o. The more missing the more vulnerable we get

We have the best attack in the comp. That isn't good enough for you?

28.6 points for 14 against.

We have the 3rd best defence. Despite having those players out.

Gagai showed experienced and burned Tago off a scrum
Crichton had a poor miss for a try.

Hardly had holes tore in us.
Also we aren't the only team to play 12 players this year.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
We have the best attack in the comp. That isn't good enough for you?

With the majority of our points coming against 12 players.

Where did i say it was bad? Im putting it into perspective. You think our attack is red hot and proves cleary is not important etc. That it means we can just freely interchange guys and lose nothing.

This is perspective on how that's not the case.

We've been outscored the past 2 weeks when it was 13 vs 13. Knights scored far more than they should have when it was 12 vs 13 too.

But keep ignoring what actually happened and ignoring stats that don't align with your theories

We could be up against 12 men on Friday. Mitchell looks unfit to me and generally gets frustrated. The Refs have been on our side in all games too. Until we play the Sharks, Storm, Parra and Roosters we can judge our side then. How is C Smith?

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
We could be up against 13 men on Friday. Mitchell looks unfit to me and generally gets frustrated. The Refs have been on our side in all games too. Until we play the Sharks, Storm, Parra and Roosters we can judge our side then. How is C Smith?
Hope so. A breezy run through while injured grabbing 2 points each week would be awesome.

As would nathan having a bit of extra space to get back up to speed with the team.

Form now means nothing. We win enough to stay top 4 by end of Origin period and that's when we need to hope for a fit squad in good form. Time it right and back to back is very possible.

We can't maintain peak form all season so winning in average form with a depleted roster is the best compromise.

Iamback

Coach
With the majority of our points coming against 12 players.

Where did i say it was bad? Im putting it into perspective. You think our attack is red hot and proves cleary is not important etc. That it means we can just freely interchange guys and lose nothing.

This is perspective on how that's not the case.

We've been outscored the past 2 weeks when it was 13 vs 13. Knights scored far more than they should have when it was 12 vs 13 too.

But keep ignoring what actually happened and ignoring stats that don't align with your theories

So Cleary is the only player we have had out? We are winning games with multiple players out. As long as it isn't Yeo out we win.

you mentioned Cleary though so lets look at the side without him since we started this run of form:

9 wins
1 Draw
3 losses - All of which Yeo was also out for

In that time averaging 19.4 points a game for
Against 13.8

So we grind out wins but get the 2 points which is all that matters

Where did I say our attack was red hot? It is never going to be due to circumstances but all that matters is 2 points.
We are doing better then more established sides was my point with that. Point scoring is down across the League due to several reasons

From our Grand Final team we had missing

Burton
Momo
To'o
Cleary
JFH
Leota
Martin
May

Replaced by rookies and fringe guys

Salmon couldn't make the side last year and played 47 mins
Backing up his 52 mins the week before.

We have become an elite side that wins the games they should and has structure to win regardless of who comes in

Iamback

Coach
We could be up against 13 men on Friday. Mitchell looks unfit to me and generally gets frustrated. The Refs have been on our side in all games too. Until we play the Sharks, Storm, Parra and Roosters we can judge our side then. How is C Smith?

Round 9 - Eels
Round 10 - Storm
Round 11 - Roosters
Is where the test will come. until then we will bank the 2 points

Smith is good. Just not enough time to pass HIA protocols

mxlegend99

Referee
So Cleary is the only player we have had out? We are winning games with multiple players out. As long as it isn't Yeo out we win.

you mentioned Cleary though so lets look at the side without him since we started this run of form:

9 wins
1 Draw
3 losses - All of which Yeo was also out for

In that time averaging 19.4 points a game for
Against 13.8

So we grind out wins but get the 2 points which is all that matters

Where did I say our attack was red hot? It is never going to be due to circumstances but all that matters is 2 points.
We are doing better then more established sides was my point with that. Point scoring is down across the League due to several reasons

From our Grand Final team we had missing

Burton
Momo
To'o
Cleary
JFH
Leota
Martin
May

Replaced by rookies and fringe guys

Salmon couldn't make the side last year and played 47 mins
Backing up his 52 mins the week before.

We have become an elite side that wins the games they should and has structure to win regardless of who comes in
Mate. You're contradicting your own posts with this shit

You're saying we win regardless of who comes in. You're also making excuses for the injuries we have, who is missing etc. But that goes against the point you're trying to make.

My point was our side last week vs Knights was not that strong. That it was not a gift 2 points etc. You argued against that pre-game. Just as you seem to do before every game no matter what our roster is. Ultimately we won. But Barnett basically gifted us that game

You quickly ignore the fact that our wins the past 2 weeks came because of playing 20 minutes vs 12 against dragons and 47 minutes against Knights. Ofcourse our injuries are going to matter less when we have an extra player on the field.

We couldn't have possibly gotten luckier than we did these past 2 weeks to end up with 2 points and the outs we have. We're great at attacking against 12 men even when injured. That's all we've really proven the past 2 weeks.

The stats and results could look very different if we had played 13 vs 13 the past 2 weeks. Our team has a huge advantage stat wise over the rest of the competition having played 67 minutes of footy against 12 men. Those points pad our f/a. But it really is no indication of where we are at attack wise.

Round 1 we destroyed Manly fair and square. Past 2 weeks im not convinced we win if all things were equal. We can never know. But based on the closeness of the Dragons game despite 20 minutes against 12. And on how easily knights scored against us at a 1 man disadvantage. Its very possible we sit 1/3 if not for playing against 12.

But as you mentioned. The teams we have fielded the past 2 weeks and probably again this week have been seriously lacking forward power due to injuries. Which makes us beatable by average teams.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I thought Mitchell was struggling with an upper thigh issue. (not sure which leg) It appeared to be heavily strapped.

Even though I'm not fond of Mitchell's personality. You can't deny he's one heck of a footy player.

Iamback

Coach
Mate. You're contradicting your own posts with this shit

You're saying we win regardless of who comes in. You're also making excuses for the injuries we have, who is missing etc. But that goes against the point you're trying to make.

My point was our side last week vs Knights was not that strong. That it was not a gift 2 points etc. You argued against that pre-game. Just as you seem to do before every game no matter what our roster is. Ultimately we won. But Barnett basically gifted us that game

You quickly ignore the fact that our wins the past 2 weeks came because of playing 20 minutes vs 12 against dragons and 47 minutes against Knights. Ofcourse our injuries are going to matter less when we have an extra player on the field.

We couldn't have possibly gotten luckier than we did these past 2 weeks to end up with 2 points and the outs we have. We're great at attacking against 12 men even when injured. That's all we've really proven the past 2 weeks.

The stats and results could look very different if we had played 13 vs 13 the past 2 weeks. Our team has a huge advantage stat wise over the rest of the competition having played 67 minutes of footy against 12 men. Those points pad our f/a. But it really is no indication of where we are at attack wise.

Round 1 we destroyed Manly fair and square. Past 2 weeks im not convinced we win if all things were equal. We can never know. But based on the closeness of the Dragons game despite 20 minutes against 12. And on how easily knights scored against us at a 1 man disadvantage. Its very possible we sit 1/3 if not for playing against 12.

But as you mentioned. The teams we have fielded the past 2 weeks and probably again this week have been seriously lacking forward power due to injuries. Which makes us beatable by average teams.

Round 1 is our best.
Rounds 2 and 3 we dropped off due to injures but we got the wins which is all that matters.

We were lacking in the forwards but the backs had crazy numbers to cover it. We always have enough to do what we have too

I thought Mitchell was struggling with an upper thigh issue. (not sure which leg) It appeared to be heavily strapped.

Even though I'm not fond of Mitchell's personality. You can't deny he's one heck of a footy player.
I think he is overrated and his attitude stinks, I would put Crichton in replace of him for NSW

Kilkenny

Coach
Round 1 is our best.
Rounds 2 and 3 we dropped off due to injures but we got the wins which is all that matters.

We were lacking in the forwards but the backs had crazy numbers to cover it. We always have enough to do what we have too
We did enough to get the two points against the Dragons and Knights but I agree with MX but for the sin bins and send off the results could have gone against us.

Regardless of the good fortune we are 3-0 so yes in the end that is what matters most.

The Bunnies will be our toughest test thus far.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I have Burto or Hynes at 14. Hynes in front on form but Burto covers 1-7. No one else in the sport offers that
Depends on what you want, Positional cover or spark off the bench.

Personally I’d go Nicho or Paps at 14 and Burto in the centres.