What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v parradontmatter

Kilkenny

Coach
Re Turuva and Tago, their last game for Penrith was an SG Ball game before the season got cancelled last year so NSW cup is a considerable step up for them , it will be interesting to see if they start the year in NSW cup or Jersey Flegg but if they are handling themselves in NSW cup I'd leave them there.

I agree. If they are the real deal they need to be playing NSW Cup.

The Realist

Juniors
I'm going to be watching that right edge closely. I've finally finished watching/recording our 2020 season and the quality difference between left and right edge was massive. Rotating players due to injury and having May out there a bunch through the year didn't help. Our attack was fast but lacked that final kill shot the best teams like storm have.

Was trying to say this for most of last season. We generated by far the most opportunities - but our conversion ratio into actual point was still behind the likes of Storm/Roosters/Bunnies even Parramatta.

In other words - we bombed a higher ratio of tries than the other Top Tier teams. It nearly cost us in the preliminary against Souths and we had a few bombed opportunities against the Storm which would have made that game more interesting.

WestyLife

First Grade
Was trying to say this for most of last season. We generated by far the most opportunities - but our conversion ratio into actual point was still behind the likes of Storm/Roosters/Bunnies even Parramatta.

In other words - we bombed a higher ratio of tries than the other Top Tier teams. It nearly cost us in the preliminary against Souths and we had a few bombed opportunities against the Storm which would have made that game more interesting.
Yeah it was frustrating to watch at times. The Staines try from Cleary harbor bridge pass shows why he's there. The pass was actually thrown 5m in front but his speed got him to the ball when no one else would've. Hoping it helps out that side and makes defences more unsure of themselves.

WestyLife

First Grade
The key to Charlie Staines is having to game plans and set plays to make the most of his speed.
does the club remember how? Feels so long since we had that kind of player. Who was our last halves with a genuine speedster? Gower/Wesser? Get Gower in to teach them how to use him. Michael Gordon was quick as well.

Kilkenny

Coach
Have we enjoyed a real speedster since Wesser/Roberts (albeit for one season only).

Michael Jennings obviously but his high end spend was over 40-60 metres, not the full 100 (granted it is largely more important to be quick over the first 40).

Waqa Blake emerged as a real speedster. I recall one occasion where we were attacking metres out, intercept, Waqa had to turn, chase and ran down who ever it was who had intercepted 10 metres out. It was breathtaking at the time. The whole ground erupted. For whatever reason, injury or otherwise Waqa just seems to have lost that yard of speed. He is a big unit so takes times to reach maximum speed but he just seems to be not quite as quick when he first emerged.

WestyLife

First Grade
Have we enjoyed a real speedster since Wesser/Roberts (albeit for one season only).

Michael Jennings obviously but his high end spend was over 40-60 metres, not the full 100 (granted it is largely more important to be quick over the first 40).

Waqa Blake emerged as a real speedster. I recall one occasion where we were attacking metres out, intercept, Waqa had to turn, chase and ran down who ever it was who had intercepted 10 metres out. It was breathtaking at the time. The whole ground erupted. For whatever reason, injury or otherwise Waqa just seems to have lost that yard of speed. He is a big unit so takes times to reach maximum speed but he just seems to be not quite as quick when he first emerged.
True Jennings was a beast in his day. Never thought we used Blake particularly well. We have the skilled halves and second rowers etc. to create space now.

franklin2323

Immortal
Re Turuva and Tago, their last game for Penrith was an SG Ball game before the season got cancelled last year so NSW cup is a considerable step up for them , it will be interesting to see if they start the year in NSW cup or Jersey Flegg but if they are handling themselves in NSW cup I'd leave them there.

Both were playing in new positions too. Turuva especially looks physical ready just is working on the rest

Kilkenny

Coach
True Jennings was a beast in his day. Never thought we used Blake particularly well. We have the skilled halves and second rowers etc. to create space now.

I thought Waqa Blake was or could have been something special. He had his demons and as it turned out probably didn’t quite deliver on his natural talents. Both with us and since with the Eels, naturally gifted athlete but maybe doesn’t do the work necessary to get to his best.

GongPanther

Referee
And the other club's squads will be in the same boat.

Kilkenny

Coach
And the other club's squads will be in the same boat.

Every club this time of year are talking themselves up, optimistic going forward.

Wife and I were staying at the Mantra Kingscliff a couple of weeks back, caught up with Tyrone Peachy and Mitch Rein who were in camp with the Titans squad. They were in a really positive space but probably no more or less so than the other 15 clubs. Saturday night at our trials games at St Mary’s Stadium you look at our boys and think they look so together, united and so forth but at the end of the day we have a tough game Round 1 against the Cowboys where we will have to be at our best to get the two points. There really aren’t any easy games in this competition.

WestyLife

First Grade
I thought Waqa Blake was or could have been something special. He had his demons and as it turned out probably didn’t quite deliver on his natural talents. Both with us and since with the Eels, naturally gifted athlete but maybe doesn’t do the work necessary to get to his best.
Not sure he has the potential to be great.

WestyLife

First Grade
Every club this time of year are talking themselves up, optimistic going forward.

Wife and I were staying at the Mantra Kingscliff a couple of weeks back, caught up with Tyrone Peachy and Mitch Rein who were in camp with the Titans squad. They were in a really positive space but probably no more or less so than the other 15 clubs. Saturday night at our trials games at St Mary’s Stadium you look at our boys and think they look so together, united and so forth but at the end of the day we have a tough game Round 1 against the Cowboys where we will have to be at our best to get the two points. There really aren’t any easy games in this competition.
I disagree with that last sentence. Some teams are just harder to beat than others. There's a big gap between Storm/Roosters and Cowboys/Broncos for example. at least right now it changes from year to year who the bad 3 or teams are.

BxTom

Bench
Theirs 100% easier games in this comp. To think otherwise is very odd
Then why, last year did Manly beat the storm, Broncos beat Souths, Manly beat Roosters, Eagles beat the raiders..... The list goes on. All teams beating teams above them. If some games are easier because of position on the ladder, they wouldn't have won. A very poor and stupind generalisation.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Then why, last year did Manly beat the storm, Broncos beat Souths, Manly beat Roosters, Eagles beat the raiders..... The list goes on. All teams beating teams above them. If some games are easier because of position on the ladder, they wouldn't have won. A very poor and stupind generalisation.
They lost easy games they should have won