What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

ACTPanthers

Bench
Tbh, Penrith Panthers are the only possible saviour from this NRL season from hell. If the Panthers don't win and cement their place as the worthy kings of league then the whole thing will be a hopeless disgusting joke!!!! The game itself now is bruise free and just unwatchable.
if I wanted to watch touch footy, I can go down to the local Park and watch the kids play, it would be far more entertaining than NRL. Speaking of NRL, firstly they are not national and secondly they are playing some sort of game that now has little resemblance to Rugby League.
Up until this season I made a point (when I could) to watch every game, this season I have now lost interest and I have never turned off so many games at half time as I have so far this season.
No I did not expect the Roosters to beat the Storm, but I thought that they would have made a better game of it but to come out and play like a bunch of drunk wombats left me bewildered.
Their ineptitude last night made the Storm look better than they really were. The late change of venue would have hurt the Roosters more than the Storm but they are professional footballers and should be able to handle it>
I guess you can figure from my opening gambit that I am no fan of the rule changes.
tenor.gif

Pretty Penny

Juniors
I grew up on league, and what I remember are tough, close games that reflected the DNA of the game, the idea of league having a chip on its shoulder and being the hardest, most combative sport this side of boxing. A game out to prove its hardness as its defining quality. Of defences that wanted to hurt the opposition and skilled players accepting that challenge. Watching today it seems that DNA has been lost in the speed, the score line blowouts, the 6 again and metres gained too easily. That loss started in some ways with the constant wrestling and slowing down the play the ball, and in the game reacting to that. Now we seem to have lurched too far away from the wrestling days into touch football “dump and run” territory. Of course the game is still hard and requires a level of toughness few possess, but the appearance of a couple of dominant teams, not enough depth and blowouts has created a feeling that something is lost. Of the game being unwell. Not sure how that changes other than time and teams changing rosters and styles for more mobile players, at least until the next rule correction. Which may be the real issue, reactionary conservatism changing a few rules without a full understanding of the consequences, rather than a more complete look at the game as a whole

blaza88z

Coach
I grew up on league, and what I remember are tough, close games that reflected the DNA of the game, the idea of league having a chip on its shoulder and being the hardest, most combative sport this side of boxing. A game out to prove its hardness as its defining quality. Of defences that wanted to hurt the opposition and skilled players accepting that challenge. Watching today it seems that DNA has been lost in the speed, the score line blowouts, the 6 again and metres gained too easily. That loss started in some ways with the constant wrestling and slowing down the play the ball, and in the game reacting to that. Now we seem to have lurched too far away from the wrestling days into touch football “dump and run” territory. Of course the game is still hard and requires a level of toughness few possess, but the appearance of a couple of dominant teams, not enough depth and blowouts has created a feeling that something is lost. Of the game being unwell. Not sure how that changes other than time and teams changing rosters and styles for more mobile players, at least until the next rule correction. Which may be the real issue, reactionary conservatism changing a few rules without a full understanding of the consequences, rather than a more complete look at the game as a whole

Well said, as always.

#bringbackroy

Pretty Penny

Juniors
So True. I was really looking forward to a tight contest last night and I still don’t know what happened. I know Roosters are missing players etc but look at the team they put out last night. On the left edge they had Crighton, Morris and Tupou up against Kaufusi, Reimis and George Jennings. They’ve got the best fullback in the world. They had JWH and Taukeio starting with Verrils(2019 GF hooker) who was next up after Friend hooking. Joseph Manu on the other side with the best young outside back Sua’lii….they had to drop Matt Ikavalu who on this years form would likely walk into most NRL teams including possibly the Storm in place of Jennings. Storm were missing Paps, Grant and NAS. This wasn’t supposed to be a 46-0 thrashing. Yes, Rugby League is not well!

I think the change happened a few years ago when we all started yearning for fatigue and wanted a complete reversal. But I think we were seeing less and less wrestle by about 2019 as it was so maybe time would have healed those wounds.

I think the risk averse nature of coaches from about 2010 had caused the wrestle to become part and parcel of the game and reduced it to a pretty one dimensional game. All of a sudden we’ve had these rule changes and the better coaches have decided to throw the conservatism out the window and are reaping the rewards. Look at the tries scored last night, so many of them were from players willing to throw the ball to the player with more space. There two factors, I think, are creating these massive blowouts. Our Pennies, Storm, Eels and Rabbits have started to throw the ball around and hopefully, for the competitions sake, the other teams learn to play the same way – even if it looks a little like touch footy

Pretty Penny

Juniors
Penrith Panthers are almost certainties to win the NRL this year now they have rented the best back rower in the game in Pangai Junior

This is a total abomonation and the the ruels have been bent and broken by Penrith as they stop at nothing.

Pangai Jnr gives Penrith the best group of forwards and the best group of backs in the game assuming Cleary comes back from injury as well

betcats

Referee
I agree, but Pretty Penny has proclaimed the Panthers as "almost certainties" so I was speaking to that statement.

Just because he said something silly doesnt mean you have to.

Its pretty funny watching the same idiots rotate between "Storm are going to smash them" and "if they dont win it will be the biggest choke ever".

Blues Riff

Bench
If anyone is actually interested in the Panthers, there is a section of LU dedicated to this.
...or sit back and watch this sock puppet show.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Just because he said something silly doesnt mean you have to.

Its pretty funny watching the same idiots rotate between "Storm are going to smash them" and "if they dont win it will be the biggest choke ever".
Considering I never said that the Storm are going to smash them, I guess that means the idiot is you. Congratulations!

Black Magik

Juniors
Penrith Panthers are almost certainties to win the NRL this year now they have rented the best back rower in the game in Pangai Junior

This is a total abomonation and the the ruels have been bent and broken by Penrith as they stop at nothing.

Pangai Jnr gives Penrith the best group of forwards and the best group of backs in the game assuming Cleary comes back from injury as well
The Warriors say hello

betcats

Referee
Considering I never said that the Storm are going to smash them, I guess that means the idiot is you. Congratulations!

If you think the storm are better than saying Penrith losing would be the biggest choke ever is pretty dumb mate no matter what old mate said.

Jim Rockford

Bench
If you think the storm are better than saying Penrith losing would be the biggest choke ever is pretty dumb mate no matter what old mate said.
No, if your comprehension skills were better you would see that I said that if Pretty Penny is right about Penrith being almost certainties then if they lose it would constitute an epic choke. Pretty straight forward actually.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
The Sydney Morning Herald reports the money that will now be used to sign the 25-year-old was initially budgeted on forward-paying the 2022 contracts of their highest paid players.

It is understood Pangai Jr will cost the Panthers around $120,000 for the remainder of the season.

Once again, it is a short-term game Penrith is playing in the pursuit of a title.

Panthers lock forward Isaah Yeo was more than prepared to take on Pangai Jr when asked about his possible arrival on Tuesday, saying the club would welcome him with “open arms”.

That $120,000 could have also proven handy in future negotiations over the futures of Viliame Kikau, Apisai Koroisau and Dylan Edwards with all three off-contract at the end of next year.

Junior is almost the best forward in the game and completes the Penrith Panthers.

Pangai Jr will bring much-needed aggression, as well as the ability to offload and create an attacking opportunity out of very little.

Pangai is the sort of player that a forward pack can be built around a, they will be on the hunt for more forwards to join Pangai Jr.

Pangai will do best in a club where they already have strong forward leaders

With Pangai Jnr and his talent established by finals, the premiership pendulum now shifts in the Penrith Panthers favour.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
Its not just me saying that Pangai will win the premiership for the Panthers; its all the experts.

“At Penrith he is going to be overwhelmed by Nathan Cleary, James Fisher-Harris and Isaah Yeo and this guy is going to make an impact in the finals and he is going to play a big role in Penrith trying to do what they want to do.”

Capable of playing in the second row and up front like Martin, the Panthers now boast an incredibly flexible interchange.

That will only spell more trouble for opposition teams if it means getting the most out of Kikau.

“You look at the strong team the Panthers already have and they could get Pangai Jr off the bench and say: ‘Here you go, you’ve got 20 minutes off the bench before halftime, go and wreak some havoc’. It will be awesome to see what he can do. He just adds another gear to their team.”

‘HELL OF A COMBINATION’: WHY PENNY PANTHERS ARE ‘WINNERS’

Of course, the challenge for Pangai Jr will be to read the situation and not just do it for the sake of it.

Once again it is another case of risk and reward - discipline and decision-making under pressure remain question marks but it is worth the shot.

“The Panthers are the absolute winners in all of this,” Cooper Cronk told Fox League’s ‘NRL 360’ on Wednesday night.

MugaB

Coach
No, if your comprehension skills were better you would see that I said that if Pretty Penny is right about Penrith being almost certainties then if they lose it would constitute an epic choke. Pretty straight forward actually.
Pretty penny isn't a penrith fan its some alt fkwit that craps on, for pages on how much they love the panthers, the waffle is meant to be derogatory, every few months the same fkwit changes names, but the message is the same, waffle wants to waffle...
Its probably a ivan cleary fan who was still on that bus from tigertown... wherever the fk that is???

Latest posts