What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Nolan Poll

Should we do everything we can within reason to retain Peter Nolan and his team

• Total voters

hindy111

Post Whore
Since Crusher left and before Nolan arrived I would say these guys came thru the system and it was up to the coach to keep them or not -

Hayne, Sio,Morgan Inu Mateo Mannah A.Kelly, Maloney,Hodgkinson Loko T rex Mortimer POH D.Toupo Jonathan Wright Horo

17 guys who are genuine first graders where produced without Cleal-And three relatively good halves. From 2004 - 2010.Nolan came in 2011. And I guess we are starting too see a few come thru now.
Im pretty sure Nolan did go for Ryan and Harrison thou plus Cheyse Blair but I could be wrong. The club is improving since he has come but being Parra I think we will always produce good players and if not we can buy some.

At the end of the day if he left I wouldn't care that much

hindy111

Post Whore
You only have to look at where the Broncos are at the moment to see that they are struggling without Nolan. The middle of the 2000's the Broncos would have never been forced to sign a squad player like Lowrie instead they would have just pushed one of their juniors up. If the rumours are true that Bennett will be heading back to Brisbane he'll have a jump on getting Nolan back up there and the Broncos will be a force once again.[/QUOTE]

Well in 1998 Melbourne came into the comp so if we are saying it takes 4-5 years than you could say they where just as much a problem to birsbane's Jnrs And although the cowboys came in in 1992 anyone good left there for the Broncos.It was Probably mid 2000's when players took The cowboys seriously.And now you also have the Titans In Qld. Canbera nw are getting players from there thou im not sure how long that's been going on for.

I would Brisbane had 80% first pick of Qld jnrs.Now with the other clubs jnrs systems based there and other Nrl clubs scouting Qld more I reckon it would be closer to about 15% now.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Since Crusher left and before Nolan arrived I would say these guys came thru the system and it was up to the coach to keep them or not -

Hayne, Sio,Morgan Inu Mateo Mannah A.Kelly, Maloney,Hodgkinson Loko T rex Mortimer POH D.Toupo Jonathan Wright Horo

17 guys who are genuine first graders where produced without Cleal-And three relatively good halves. From 2004 - 2010.Nolan came in 2011. And I guess we are starting too see a few come thru now.
Im pretty sure Nolan did go for Ryan and Harrison thou plus Cheyse Blair but I could be wrong. The club is improving since he has come but being Parra I think we will always produce good players and if not we can buy some.

At the end of the day if he left I wouldn't care that much

It's one thing to identify talent that's right under your nose and another thing to actively seek it and convince players to move to Parramatta. We will always be a nursery for talent but we need someone like Nolan when our local talent is being poached, seeking greener pastures or simply not there.
As others have said he has had a tough time with the number of changes in coaches etc since his time at the club but he has still come up trumps in my books.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Im Happy to keep the guy.I like what he has done. But if he left I wouldn't be devastated.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

17 guys who are genuine first graders where produced without Cleal-And three relatively good halves.

What do you mean 'without Cleal'? Recruitment starts in Harold Matts and retention starts in SG Ball. Cleal was at the club up until 2004, so he could have been involved with recruiting any players born in 1988 or earlier. That includes Hayne, Inu, Mateo, Mannah, Hodkinson, Tony Williams, Wright and Horo.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
You only have to look at where the Broncos are at

I would Brisbane had 80% first pick of Qld jnrs.Now with the other clubs jnrs systems based there and other Nrl clubs scouting Qld more I reckon it would be closer to about 15% now.

Every kid in QLD still wants to play in the Broncos system, plsu a lot of the teams in the Mal Meninga and Cyril Connell competitions are Broncos juniors: Ipswich, Redliffe, East Tigers, Souths Logan. Are the ones I'm guessing makeup the Broncos juniors and that's half of the competition

hindy111

Post Whore
What do you mean 'without Cleal'? Recruitment starts in Harold Matts and retention starts in SG Ball. Cleal was at the club up until 2004, so he could have been involved with recruiting any players born in 1988 or earlier. That includes Hayne, Inu, Mateo, Mannah, Hodkinson, Tony Williams, Wright and Horo.

Oh ok well in that case Tanginoa-Jnr Paulo-Pauli Pauli-Terepo- are all the good work of Reddy? Im confused.
So for some its as soon as they start like Nolan- any player coming thru he gets credit but for guys like Reddy its only 6 yrs after he started he gets any credit for a player that coms thru??

Seems to be two standards here for guys on here.Its realy annoying.

I expected better from you Pou.Maybe you need to have a circle Jerk

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh ok well in that case Tanginoa-Jnr Paulo-Pauli Pauli-Terepo- are all the good work of Reddy? Im confused.
So for some its as soon as they start like Nolan- any player coming thru he gets credit but for guys like Reddy its only 6 yrs after he started he gets any credit for a player that coms thru??

Seems to be two standards here for guys on here.Its realy annoying.

I think you're missing the point. Nobody is ever as good or as bad as the masses think they are.

As far as recruitment/retention, no one person is to blame for the failures, just like there is no single person who deserves all the credit. There is no legitimate scapegoat. I know it's emotionally dissatisfying and I'm sorry, but that's how the world works. You want villains and heroes, rent a movie. On VHS.

In the real world people are stuck with the cards they are dealt, and in a job like building a football club you don't see the results straight away. We only know Smith and Cleal are good because they were at the club a long time, and left us in a strong state. Plus they repeated the feat at other clubs, proving it was no fluke. Reddy was here for quite a while too but he went through four different coaches, so he was faced with constraints of his own. Nolan seems to have done well but he's only been here just over three years; not really long enough to judge him, though the NYC side is looking good after only four games, considering they ran last in 2010 - the year before Nolan arrived.

emjaycee

Coach
I think you need to consider that Nolan's role is both Recruitment and Retention.

In the recruitment side he needs to look at both the gaps in first grade that need to be filled asap and the juniors that we need to bring in and develop/retain through Matts, Ball, NYC and into NRL. For example Mossop claimed in a recent interview he wasn't concerned that RS had left, cause Peter Nolan was the one who convinced him to come here. Many others we have signed in the last few years would say the same. So Nolan plays a part in recruiting senior squad (top 25) members.

And some of you know that I spoke at length to Nolan in 2011 and if you wanted to dig that post out (ME) you may find that I mentioned his shock at the lack of halves in the club when he got here. Not NRL halves only but all through the junior ranks as well. That is something Nolan has been working on and we have at least 3 or 4 coming through the juniors now - one of which may end up being the next Luke Brooks, if we can retain him. And that is the other part of Nolan's role.

He needs to keep an eye on all the juniors in the 'system' both local and imported and help the coaching staff decide on who to keep and who to let go. Have we let anyone go since 2011 when Nolan got here that we regret losing? Maybe one or two but nothing like the previous years.

#academyof5yearplanning

Tony Bongo

Bench
I think you need to consider that Nolan's role is both Recruitment and Retention.

In the recruitment side he needs to look at both the gaps in first grade that need to be filled asap and the juniors that we need to bring in and develop/retain through Matts, Ball, NYC and into NRL. For example Mossop claimed in a recent interview he wasn't concerned that RS had left, cause Peter Nolan was the one who convinced him to come here. Many others we have signed in the last few years would say the same. So Nolan plays a part in recruiting senior squad (top 25) members.

And some of you know that I spoke at length to Nolan in 2011 and if you wanted to dig that post out (ME) you may find that I mentioned his shock at the lack of halves in the club when he got here. Not NRL halves only but all through the junior ranks as well. That is something Nolan has been working on and we have at least 3 or 4 coming through the juniors now - one of which may end up being the next Luke Brooks, if we can retain him. And that is the other part of Nolan's role.

He needs to keep an eye on all the juniors in the 'system' both local and imported and help the coaching staff decide on who to keep and who to let go. Have we let anyone go since 2011 when Nolan got here that we regret losing? Maybe one or two but nothing like the previous years.

#academyof5yearplanning
Well said.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Why funny Bongo?

I spoke to Pete at the Wenty v Jets game and he seemed quite happy with how things are going with our improvements to cap management and overall recruitment.

He thinks we had/have a bit too much $ tied up at Wenty but mentioned DA was happy with how him and Fieldsy are performing in the recruitment side of the role.

It's funny because what you said tongue in cheek is what some are thinking. I believe that Nolan and DA have a good working relationship and it doesn't surprise me as I think they are both professional in what they do.
My conern is that in the process of trimming the fat we may lose a limb. If Nolan moves on the big question is who decides the future direction of recruitment etc and I wonder what people might think of DA taking over those reigns?

Stagger eel

Staff member
It's funny because what you said tongue in cheek is what some are thinking. I believe that Nolan and DA have a good working relationship and it doesn't surprise me as I think they are both professional in what they do.
My conern is that in the process of trimming the fat we may lose a limb. If Nolan moves on the big question is who decides the future direction of recruitment etc and I wonder what people might think of DA taking over those reigns?

Great idea we'll finally get Chris Feather at the club...

Delboy

First Grade
DA in recruiting??

Is that a joke, it must be...keep him as far away as possible, admin is his job, that is what he appears to be good at.

Bring back Joe Grima as recruitment manager, now that's a much better idea

Latest posts