What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

MugaB

Coach
Melbourne's eight AwFuL clubs are better supported than the nine NRL clubs from Sydney.

The Cowboys generate more revenue from sponsorship and hospitality, gate receipts and membership than many of the Sydney clubs, despite being based in a regional city with a population of just 180k.

There are about one or two AwFuL clubs from Melbourne that struggle and probably would benefit by relocating interstate. Kangaroos are struggling with crowds of just 14k. AwFuL did try to get them to relocate to Gold Coast before bringing in the Suns. I wouldn't be surprised if they merge with the Suns at some point to give the Gold Coast some legitimacy when they play away in Melbourne, but with the amount of money AwFuL have coming it it won't happen any time soon unless AwFuL decides to stop bailing them out.

The Swans generate twice as much from sponsorship and hospitality than every Sydney NRL club. The Lions also generate more than every Sydney NRL club and the Cowboys.

I'm basing this on data from the annual reports of the clubs.

If we were creating a league from scratch we wouldn't have Manly playing out of a dump on a peninsula in an insular part of the city or have South Sydney based in the west while St George and Cronulla compete for relevancy and survival in Southern Sydney.

Do we really need Manly, St George and Cronulla?

Surely Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs can cover everything from the Northern Beaches down to Wollongong. If they did go down this route by relocating Manly, Cronulla and St George then we would have two powerful clubs from the heart of Sydney that are as big or bigger than the Broncos.
Or we can relocate the cowboys to singapore you fkn twat... howabout you focus on bringing back the scorpions, and let the people who live in sydney worry about the sydney clubs fųckwit

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
1. Signed arguably the worse Tv deal in the games history against the advice of his exec team (allegedly)
2. Changes rules at the drop of a hat
3. Sensationalizes to the point he looks a joke

on the plus
1. Brought in team 17 at long last
2. Got the game through covid in tact
3. Expanding NRLW
If I didn`t know better I`d say you`re softening your stance on V`landy`s. A rare concession there that he has got some things right. On point 3 on the negative, is that an admission that his " rusted on fumbleball states....." quote may have been hyperbole, perhaps even tactical. In that case, that would make it 4 - 2 to the positive.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If I didn`t know better I`d say you`re softening your stance on V`landy`s. A rare concession there that he has got some things right. On point 3 on the negative, is that an admission that his " rusted on fumbleball states....." quote may have been hyperbole, perhaps even tactical. In that case, that would make it 4 - 2 to the positive.
I’ve been consistent that there is no black and white in the world, he’s done some good things but sadly he’s done some sht things, and when it comes to the tv deal it’s such a Costly f**k up that he should have been shown the door right then.

hyperbole,or not it’s an example of how he shouts his mouth off with a horrible nsw lens over his thinking that’s detrimental for the game. It acheived nothing and got lots of people off side. In fact worse case scenario it is an example of how he uses nrl to further his nsw racing agenda regardless of fall out for NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
It wasn’t hyperbole

I believe he’s done a u turn

origin in Perth helped as did the wa govt chasing a team

tell the idiots on trl to ead. They killed off the Toronto Wolfpack and now want to nit pick the nrl expanding to Perth lol

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
It wasn’t hyperbole

I believe he’s done a u turn

origin in Perth helped as did the wa govt chasing a team

tell the idiots on trl to ead. They killed off the Toronto Wolfpack and now want to nit pick the nrl expanding to Perth lol
Not 100 % convinced mate, V`landy`s has been shooting his mouth in front of a mike for years, it used to be all about baiting Racing Vic but now he`s doing the same for League.
I think sometimes it pays not to take what he says too literally, he can be a loose cannon, but I have absolutely no doubt and he leaves no doubt to what his intent is.

Iamback

Coach

Nrl clubs are muppets. They are getting record funding over the cap and they still want to stick their nose in the running of the game when half of the clubs are a joke

It should be sorted, Whatever the hold up is needs to end.

From Wade Graham's comments a few weeks ago, It isn't money. The RLPA wants to control the former player funds, Something else added too.

If true, I get the frustration especially with rosters needing to be filled

Iamback

Coach
Not 100 % convinced mate, V`landy`s has been shooting his mouth in front of a mike for years, it used to be all about baiting Racing Vic but now he`s doing the same for League.
I think sometimes it pays not to take what he says too literally, he can be a loose cannon, but I have absolutely no doubt and he leaves no doubt to what his intent is.

That is what I say, He is a troll people read too much into off the cuff comments

Wb1234

Referee
It should be sorted, Whatever the hold up is needs to end.

From Wade Graham's comments a few weeks ago, It isn't money. The RLPA wants to control the former player funds, Something else added too.

If true, I get the frustration especially with rosters needing to be filled
Clubs want funding 5 million over the cap

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nrl clubs are muppets. They are getting record funding over the cap and they still want to stick their nose in the running of the game when half of the clubs are a joke
It’s funny the clubs think Abdo is running anything! Vlandys is busy, of course they haven’t heard anything.

Storm80

Juniors
Afl got lucky with super league

In 95 rugby league was first and daylight was second. Good luck to the fumblers, like Stephen Bradbury, they got the gold medal cause better performers had accidents

but now that rugby league is back on a growth path it’s going to go back to where it was in 95. I can easily see a 20 team nrl and afl will be lucky to still have the giants and suns not relocating

with the dolphins in Brisbane, both qld afl sides are going to need a lot more money now
Hahahaha parody. Genius. What f**king world you live in. The NSW (Sydney) bubble does tend to rot the brain, clearly haha

Storm80

Juniors
I agree that the AFL are far better forward thinkers and better developers of new markets than their NRL counterparts but don’t get your argument about having six teams in QLD at the expense of two Sydney teams. There are still only two AFL teams in all other states outside of Victoria bar Tassie of course and there’s still ten teams in Victoria so I don’t see the NRL doing anything wrong in that regard. I reckon the AFL is every bit Melbourne-centric as the NRL is Sydney. Also, don’t underestimate the damage super league caused. We had two teams in frontier states and a genuine Brisbane derby before that shit set us back. They’ve been persistent with Gold Coast and NZ despite years of shitness so there’s signs the game is learning I guess.

My point is Brisbane should have had possibly 4 clubs by now. North (Redcliffe), Ipswich (west), Firehawks (south) and Broncos (central). Plus at least NQ and GC - and possibly central qld.

That’s 6-7 clubs. At least 3 Brisbane clubs and GC and NQ.

Sharks and Wests tigers should have been assholed to make way for the Queenslander clubs to saturate the market. Cant do that cause NRL sucks at the teet of News Ltd and because the NRL is beholden to Sydney clubs.

Melbourne is nowhere near as patrichol as Sydney. I’ve never lived in a city like it. I’ve lived in Queensland, Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne. I’ve never come across so much used car salesman vibes (as a Collingwood supporter, Eddie McGuire vibes) than living in Sydney. No one gives a shit in Melbourne that there have been two CEO from SA (the biggest rival state). If a qlder was CEO of NRL all NSW press would do is gun for them from day one.

It’s quite phenomenal how far Sydney peoples heads are up their own ass and obsessed with what suburb you live in etc. They seriously think they the centre of the universe. PVL typifies this.

Look NSW guys, awesome harbour with insane views (most westies or anyone not rich never see it) but it’s now a boring city with bad transport and no party vibes. Government f**ked the joint with lock out laws.

PVL been on the board for what? Years? Like 2016 or so. When perth and Adelaide getting a team to help raise media rights? They are 30 years behind. And slagging of Perth like PVL is a disgrace. News Ltd love him. Tells ya everything

Storm80

Juniors
Fumbleball cant afford any more money pits like Great Waste of Space or the thuns
They got $500m more than NRL to invest in everything north of Riverina … Come back and revisit my post in 40 years mate.

No one in there right mind in the 70s went “you know what’s gonna be bigger than rugby Union in nsw in 2022? Aerial ping pong”.

Stop underestimating your opponent you dead shit

Storm80

Juniors
It’s a no brainer

they’ve already got a sponsorship portfolio that’s one of the biggest in the nrl

committed 2 million pa on juniors own a shopping centre and a leagues club

and that northern coridoor is forecast to have major population growth

throw in south western Brisbane as team 19 and qld will be offering growth for years

Brisbane in the centre, dolphins north, jets south west and titans south east
And they have D grade playing list

And they are based in a region that’s not where the population will be growing highest

And they will always be the little brother to broncos, just the way News Ltd want it

And Brisbane lions have been gifted the south west to build playing pool

You clearly aren’t from brisbane or south east Queensland if you think Redcliffe is where it’s “happening” for brisbanes future

Storm80

Juniors
Good post

The biggest issue RL has is it shoots itself in the foot. Hopefully these moments become less and less over time
It shoots itself in the foot cause it thinks the future is Sydney.

With PVL at the helm, that mindset ain’t changing.

It shoots itself in the foot cause News Ltd stooges give away media rights cheap as chips for mates while AFL negotiate like professionals and bargain $500m more than NRL.

I don’t think you NSW league lackies actually understand how f**ked PVL media rights mates rates deals are.

Queensland league fans get it. Cause they aren’t f**king morons.

Victorians, SA, WA and Tasmanian AFL fans understand it. They laughing their ass about it. Trust me.

Sad that you idiots think PVL is the answer. Haven’t you nsw plebs got John Ribots number??

Storm80

Juniors
AFL has the same level of following in Newcastle that ISIS does. Would be hilarious if they wasted money trying to make inroads here.
Revisit this in 30 years mate haha why would any kid want to live and play in Newcastle for a shit club - if a swans academy is willing to pay their way and they get to live in Bondi etc… You keep thinking small time, just like old Beta PVL… AFL will keep thinking big picture.

The funniest thing, private schools play union. They go on to be in Sydney’s corporate elite. Guess what they’d rather give their corporate dollars to or have their kid play??? NRL or AFL???

Considering AFL already has the private schools in Tas, Vic, SA and WA - plus all the corporate support that goes with it - who you reckon Sydney’s private school alum wanna see thrive? A peasants game? Or a game they can use to strengthen their own interests via private school connections etc in other states?

Keep suckling at PVL’s teet though…

Storm80

Juniors
Yes it`s a tricky one, League fans are no where near as fanatical on those fronts as fumbleball fans are, although as even Wookie himself has admitted memberships in fumleball are pretty meaningless. We just haven`t caught up to their level of subterfuge yet. But as pointed out above, we are learning.
Huh? They don’t have “leagues clubs” cause of the revenue they make from memberships. They make a fortune. It’s not surprising that Melbourne Storm have started to cash in on memberships while most Sydney teams have sweet f**k all members

Storm80

Juniors
I wonder what the TV ratings are for fumbleball outside of Australia?
Lets not forget that they have to pay a UK TV to show their games LOL, and there Grand Final in the UK is held on Clapham common, and watched by and old man and and old lady walking their dogs LOL
Haha yep overseas really gives a flying f**k about NRL, as much as it does any Australian sport,

But PVL genius is he is planing a NRL game in USA!!! Watch that mean sweet f**k all haha

both codes tried their hands at North America in the 80s. USA just don’t give a f**k. NBA NHL MLB and NFL is there bread and butter.

It’s so funny, a market like perth and Adelaide is ready for league - but PVL is jerking off about a one off game in USA as the saviour… it’s pathetic.

Honestly. NSW kills NRL yet again

Storm80

Juniors
Surely with so many stadiums out of action next season, it is the time for the NRL/clubs to take some games to Geelong/Adelaide/Perth/Tas?
Exactly, perfect opportunity to grow the game… But the PVL types (sadly Gould is one) won’t do it as they think the game is just based in nsw qld and a bit of nz.