What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yet you provide no links despite being asked repeatedly
you dont want to believe AFL's official announcements thats up to you. you dont want to follow logical analysis thats up to you. Keep living in your bubble of denial until the annual reports prove me right. again.

The links are in the tv theard numerous times.
AFL officially announced over $4billion cash.
NRL officially announced $2billion total deal. Last year contra $24.5mill, CH9 paying $5mill more contra. Its not rocket science!

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
As I said

Rugby Leagues biggest threat is itself, It makes some great decisions. Only to follow it up with some bone head stuff which moves it back even further
Toronto was a gift with the Aussie owner not taking any tv money and paying sonny bill 5 mill pa

which they they replaced with Leigh, a team from the suburbs of Wigan.

the game in england is run by absolute muppets. The only hope for rugby league is the nrl and it will drag england along with it

Perth Red

Post Whore
Toronto was a gift with the Aussie owner not taking any tv money and paying sonny bill 5 mill pa

which they they replaced with Leigh, a team from the suburbs of Wigan.

the game in england is run by absolute muppets. The only hope for rugby league is the nrl and it will drag england along with it
he also stopped paying the bills, stopped playing the players and wanted to base the club in Manchester! Then pulled out of the 2020 fixtures. This isnt NRL where clubs get kept alive by huge grants.

Iamback

Coach
you dont want to believe AFL's official announcements thats up to you. you dont want to follow logical analysis thats up to you. Keep living in your bubble of denial until the annual reports prove me right. again.

NRL officially announced $2billion total deal. Last year contra $24.5mill, CH9 paying $5mill more contra. Its not rocket science!

From the AFL website, No where is the cash breakdown mentioned, Nor does it state what part is Telstra

So yes Annual reports I will wait for

Wb1234

Referee
That article is more than ten year old! Got any data from the past decade since GWS started? I suggest it would be similar. There is a move from the AFL to play some GWS games @ SCG, where the AFL fans are. The AFL Magic round in 2023 is going to be in Adelaide, so that may have to wait until 2024.
There’s a recent article posted on the expansion forum

afl ranked last in junior participation

guess paying Israel Folau 3 million a year didn’t work so well

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

vinyl-records-record-collection.gif

Haha yep overseas really gives a flying f**k about NRL, as much as it does any Australian sport,

But PVL genius is he is planing a NRL game in USA!!! Watch that mean sweet f**k all haha

both codes tried their hands at North America in the 80s. USA just don’t give a f**k. NBA NHL MLB and NFL is there bread and butter.

It’s so funny, a market like perth and Adelaide is ready for league - but PVL is jerking off about a one off game in USA as the saviour… it’s pathetic.

Honestly. NSW kills NRL yet again
Remind me again of how many professional and semi professional fumblball clubs there are outside Australia? LOL
Don't forget that Vicky Kicky house HAS TO PAY a TV company to show games in the UK LOL
The UK grand final is played on Clapham common, not Lords, not the Oval, not Old Traford, Clapham Common LOL

Steel Saints

Juniors
Whilst I can agree that at this point that the deal he pushed through does not look great, it is definitely not the worst deal in the games history.
You weren’t around when Arthurson and Quayle basically gave the game for free to their “great mate", Packer. It's what started the TV War.
In the NRL era you were around for the Gallop years. He serviced his News masters extremely well in the low-cut deals he organised. This is a huge reason why the Commission was formed.

Words are very important in a debate. The deal he has been a part of is nowhere near the worst in the games history. It's just nowhere near what it could have been.

I could also add that Dave Smith's incomplete tv deal was just as bad as the ones mentioned in your post. He basically peeved off Fox.

Perth Red

Post Whore

From the AFL website, No where is the cash breakdown mentioned, Nor does it state what part is Telstra

So yes Annual reports I will wait for
Here we go again lol Gill himself announced it as 'over' $4bill cash.

The deal is worth $4.5 billion – including more than $4 billion in cash

Perth Red

Post Whore
Remind me again of how many professional and semi professional fumblball clubs there are outside Australia? LOL
Don't forget that Vicky Kicky house HAS TO PAY a TV company to show games in the UK LOL
The UK grand final is played on Clapham common, not Lords, not the Oval, not Old Traford, Clapham Common LOL
are you crediting pistol pete or the NRL for the game being played overseas?? You do know it started overseas dont you?

are you crediting pistol pete or the NRL for the game being played overseas?? You do know it started overseas dont you?
Of course i do i was asking the question, which you wont answer
You are aware that fumbleball was being played in NSW and QLD before Rugby League arrived here aren't you?

Steel Saints

Juniors
he delivered the biggest FTA deal in Australian sporting history. The fact he never got chance to bend Fox over a barrel as well is the only bad thing about that deal!

Bend Fox over a barrel? Nine had all the key timeslots, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon. Fox were left with the undesirable timeslots. I doubt Smith would've got much from Fox.

Smith was probably five years too early. If he was still CEO today, he might've used Stan Sport or Paramount to his advantage to drive the price up and/or take the game to a new provider.

Back in 2015, Smith didn't have those options, or any other provider, and ultimately, it cost his job. To make it worse, the deal was done in relative peacetime. There was no pressure to get the game back on the field during a pandemic.

If Smith truly maximised 2018-2022 deal then the NRL could've had more savings to starve off a pandemic lockdown.