What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
If memberships were the rage back in the nineties, who knows it might have made a difference of keeping a full time side in the Illawarra.

But I also think there was a lack of fight from Bob Millward and the board. Certainly no where near the fight that Souths had.

Magpies at Campbelltown could of been huge also with that area's boom.

Hopefully one day it gets there, As the NSW teams could have far more reach then they currently do

Perth Red

Post Whore
Love how AFL Red has once again turned the conversation to AFL.
lol thats all Rl fans want to talk about on here. Suggest you go back a few pages and look at who brought AFL into the conversation :) I'm quite happy to be just talking about Pistol Pete.

1. Signed arguably the worse Tv deal in the games history against the advice of his exec team (allegedly)
2. Changes rules at the drop of a hat
3. Sensationalizes to the point he looks a joke

on the plus
1. Brought in team 17 at long last
2. Got the game through covid in tact
3. Expanding NRLW

haha dont be a dck. Never been on bigfooty so wouldnt know. Good to know people are obsessed with me everywhere :)
Racism is disgusting and the problems they face are appalling and need to be sorted out quickly.
Lol our whole country is taking money from China, should I condemn everyone including myself who regularly buys chinese manufactured products? Grow up
So you wont condemn fumbleball for taking blood money from China, that confirms you are a fan of the Anglo-Irish game, which is a fusion of 19th century Rugby and Gaelic football

lol thats all Rl fans want to talk about on here. Suggest you go back a few pages and look at who brought AFL into the conversation :) I'm quite happy to be just talking about Pistol Pete.

1. Signed arguably the worse Tv deal in the games history against the advice of his exec team (allegedly)
2. Changes rules at the drop of a hat
3. Sensationalizes to the point he looks a joke

on the plus
1. Brought in team 17 at long last
2. Got the game through covid in tact
3. Expanding NRLW
Not a single professional or semi professional club outside of Australia.
The fumbleball UK Grand final is played on Clapham common, and to top it all Vicky Kicky house has to pay a UK TV company to show the game in the UK.
Not a single game of AFL itself has been played overseas for 3 years, but British soccer clubs have played overseas and so has NFL, and yes the British Rugby League comp has been played overseas, because this past season there were 2 clubs from France in it. Now remind me again how many overseas professional and semi professional clubs fumbleball clubs there are? LOL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not a single professional or semi professional club outside of Australia.
The fumbleball UK Grand final is played on Clapham common, and to top it all Vicky Kicky house has to pay a UK TV company to show the game in the UK.
Not a single game of AFL itself has been played overseas for 3 years, but British soccer clubs have played overseas and so has NFL, and yes the British Rugby League comp has been played overseas, because this past season there were 2 clubs from France in it. Now remind me again how many overseas professional and semi professional clubs fumbleball clubs there are? LOL
and here you are lol. AFL obsessed.

And there it is the ball and chain that holds back NRL… thinking it’s always about making NSW no.1… NSW centric thinking will always be NRLs Achilles heel.

Compare it with AFL. They’ve had two CEO’s from South Australia. How many Queensalnd CEO’s NRL had?

They want the code to remain no.1 in Australia. It’s not about “Victoria” it’s about the southern code of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and WA dominating the nation.

it’s not NSW v Victoria.

AFL is NSW vs the interests of Victoria, Tasmania, SA and WA. You NSW people just don’t grasp it - because you look down on Qlders (and every other state and territory for that matter) and always screw over Qld cause “Sydney” is the heart of league and Sydney is so much better and smarter than everyone else.

You NSW’s people will just never get it. Your all about NSW being no.1 while Qld embarrasses you most years in Origin. Your focus is all wrong. There should have been 5-6 NRL teams in Queensland by now. At the expense of two teams in Sydney. Then push to the southern states and NZ.

Melbourne will have more population than Sydney by at least 2035. Your state is spread out over a much bigger space than Victoria. So maintaining infrastructure for your sports including NRL and Racing across the state and in country areas is much more expensive. You’ll always be susceptible to foreign raids from AFL because of it.

If NRL don’t take games to northern NSW - guess where AFL gonna start throwing the $175m a year more they get from media rights they get?

Then there’s Wollongong and Newcastle. Both cities have shit teams and are taken for granted. They are ripe for pinching a percentage of kids by funding local sport, academies and school programs.

If you NSW league fans thought AFL just thought they’d shove gws in west Sydney and be done with it, you got no idea what’s coming. They are litterally 10 years into a 50 year plan to establish GWS as a brand.

Old Beta PVL just gifted AFL the greatest leg up in Australian sporting history by soft balling negotiations with channel 9 and Foxtel.

Newcastle, Gosford and Wollongong not to mention everything north of Newcastle to Brisbane is ripe for picking. You seriously think AFL aren’t planning to set themselves up in NSW and Qld for generations to come with the extra $500m they get from 2025-27?

They just keep chipping away and reinvesting money in everything north of the Riverina and keep growing the pool of playing talent.

It’s actually sad how clueless NSW league fans are about how NRL should be administered.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

oh wow
gold medal for the dumbest post of 2022 ( & ol donkey boy posts in here so theres stiff opposition )

seriously
NFI pig shit for brains ignorance from the frst sentence til the last , its gotta be a piss take surely ?

Colk

First Grade
He’s an afl fan so he means (and more funnily - believes) every word

He did say that fumbleball have better management and that PVL’s s*** deal would help fumbleball - they are arguably true statements.

The rest of the post didn’t really make much sense.

Well it was SL's idea and it was Greenburg who was responsible for bringing it, here so he's wrong all ends up lol
That's right. Greenberg used the Queensland gov to get a better deal from the NSW gov for the GF, which angered people up here. Magic Round was his attempt to win back support.

this guy is happy taking on the establishment and genuinely has a thing for nsw being number one.
The last thing an insular Sydney-centric sport that doesn't care about the game outside of Sydney needs is a leader who "has a thing for nsw (sic) being number one."

He thinks outside the box and looks to create new revenue sources

Yeah, like giving the broadcast rights to Ch9 and Foxtel at a discount so they don't "catch a cold", then struts around claiming he's responsible for our main competition benefiting from it.

Wb1234

Referee
I thought this was the comedy part????

"Compare it with AFL. They’ve had two CEO’s from South Australia. How many Queensalnd CEO’s NRL had?"

I mean the NRL has had two Chairmen from Qld, John Grant and Peter Beattie.
And maybe, just maybe, the NRL has gone a bit further and stretched their wings with CEO's internationally.
Dave Smith, David Moffett and the current CEO, Andrew Abdo.

The VFL can be happy with themselves to have gone so outside the box to far reaching places such as South Australia.
Omg my sides are splitting
This post is brilliant

maybe one day afl will get an international ceo. I read it’s the national sport of nairu so probably from there

And there it is the ball and chain that holds back NRL… thinking it’s always about making NSW no.1… NSW centric thinking will always be NRLs Achilles heel.

Compare it with AFL. They’ve had two CEO’s from South Australia. How many Queensalnd CEO’s NRL had?

They want the code to remain no.1 in Australia. It’s not about “Victoria” it’s about the southern code of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and WA dominating the nation.

it’s not NSW v Victoria.

AFL is NSW vs the interests of Victoria, Tasmania, SA and WA. You NSW people just don’t grasp it - because you look down on Qlders (and every other state and territory for that matter) and always screw over Qld cause “Sydney” is the heart of league and Sydney is so much better and smarter than everyone else.

You NSW’s people will just never get it. Your all about NSW being no.1 while Qld embarrasses you most years in Origin. Your focus is all wrong. There should have been 5-6 NRL teams in Queensland by now. At the expense of two teams in Sydney. Then push to the southern states and NZ.

Melbourne will have more population than Sydney by at least 2035. Your state is spread out over a much bigger space than Victoria. So maintaining infrastructure for your sports including NRL and Racing across the state and in country areas is much more expensive. You’ll always be susceptible to foreign raids from AFL because of it.

If NRL don’t take games to northern NSW - guess where AFL gonna start throwing the $175m a year more they get from media rights they get?

Then there’s Wollongong and Newcastle. Both cities have shit teams and are taken for granted. They are ripe for pinching a percentage of kids by funding local sport, academies and school programs.

If you NSW league fans thought AFL just thought they’d shove gws in west Sydney and be done with it, you got no idea what’s coming. They are litterally 10 years into a 50 year plan to establish GWS as a brand.

Old Beta PVL just gifted AFL the greatest leg up in Australian sporting history by soft balling negotiations with channel 9 and Foxtel.

Newcastle, Gosford and Wollongong not to mention everything north of Newcastle to Brisbane is ripe for picking. You seriously think AFL aren’t planning to set themselves up in NSW and Qld for generations to come with the extra $500m they get from 2025-27?

They just keep chipping away and reinvesting money in everything north of the Riverina and keep growing the pool of playing talent.

It’s actually sad how clueless NSW league fans are about how NRL should be administered.

If our game was run properly then a lot of things would have been done differently. Arthrson and Quayle f**ked up Brisbane by giving the Broncos a licence under the stipulation there couldn't be another team in SEQ for 5 or so years. That forced the Gold Coast-Tweed Giants/Gold Coast Seagulls to be based out of NSW.

Has any other sport done anything that dumb?

Crushers were introduced under a flawed model and doomed before they ran onto the field against the Raiders in Rd 1 1995. They were basically an extension of the braindead QRL and introduced by the NSWRL to undermine the Broncos. There was friction between the Broncos and NSWRL/QRL since 1988. It was always going to come to a head, and the Broncos knew the NSWRL were using the Crushers as a fall-back option in the event they were excluded from the competition. Arthurson and Quayle had threatened to kick the Broncos out, so it's understandable Brisbane did everything in their power to undermine the Crushers.

Broncos wanted out of the NSWRL in the early 90s because everything was rigged in favour of the NSWRL clubs. We had a bigger stadium in Brisbane, yet the NSWRL played all finals games in Sydney. God knows how much more money could have been generated from moving the GF to Brisbane's QEII Stadium, which was larger than the SFS.

Chargers were the first team based on the Gold Coast and were profitable. They got the boot in 1999 while struggling Sydney clubs were handed a lifeline.

If it wasn't for Super League we wouldn't have a stake in the Melbourne market. News Ltd have been a curse for the most part, but they did give us Melbourne and helped Cowboys find their feet after being thrown to the wolves by Arthurson and Quayle. The Cowboys had to over flight and accommodation expenses of all visiting teams, as well as their own. It cost them about $800k a year. The committee for expansion -- which was made up of leaders from Sydney clubs -- made this mandatory after the Sydney clubs threw a tantrum about having to travel to Townsville. They burdened Western Reds with the same stipulation. It's why Cowboys and Reds defected to Super League.

I've explained this in detail and cited the source of my information in this post.

Last edited:
Afl got lucky with super league

In 95 rugby league was first and daylight was second. Good luck to the fumblers, like Stephen Bradbury, they got the gold medal cause better performers had accidents

but now that rugby league is back on a growth path it’s going to go back to where it was in 95. I can easily see a 20 team nrl and afl will be lucky to still have the giants and suns not relocating

with the dolphins in Brisbane, both qld afl sides are going to need a lot more money now

RL wasn't close to being the number one sport in this country in 1995. In that year every capital had an AwFuL club since 1991 and Fremantle Dockers were introduced as Perth's second team that season. Our game had no presence in Adelaide and Melbourne. AwFuL's crowds and broadcast rights were bigger.

I agree that the AFL are far better forward thinkers and better developers of new markets than their NRL counterparts but don’t get your argument about having six teams in QLD at the expense of two Sydney teams. There are still only two AFL teams in all other states outside of Victoria bar Tassie of course and there’s still ten teams in Victoria so I don’t see the NRL doing anything wrong in that regard. I reckon the AFL is every bit Melbourne-centric as the NRL is Sydney. Also, don’t underestimate the damage super league caused. We had two teams in frontier states and a genuine Brisbane derby before that shit set us back. They’ve been persistent with Gold Coast and NZ despite years of shitness so there’s signs the game is learning I guess.
Melbourne's eight AwFuL clubs are better supported than the nine NRL clubs from Sydney.

The Cowboys generate more revenue from sponsorship and hospitality, gate receipts and membership than many of the Sydney clubs, despite being based in a regional city with a population of just 180k.

There are about one or two AwFuL clubs from Melbourne that struggle and probably would benefit by relocating interstate. Kangaroos are struggling with crowds of just 14k. AwFuL did try to get them to relocate to Gold Coast before bringing in the Suns. I wouldn't be surprised if they merge with the Suns at some point to give the Gold Coast some legitimacy when they play away in Melbourne, but with the amount of money AwFuL have coming it it won't happen any time soon unless AwFuL decides to stop bailing them out.

The Swans generate twice as much from sponsorship and hospitality than every Sydney NRL club. The Lions also generate more than every Sydney NRL club and the Cowboys.

I'm basing this on data from the annual reports of the clubs.

If we were creating a league from scratch we wouldn't have Manly playing out of a dump on a peninsula in an insular part of the city or have South Sydney based in the west while St George and Cronulla compete for relevancy and survival in Southern Sydney.

Do we really need Manly, St George and Cronulla?

Surely Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs can cover everything from the Northern Beaches down to Wollongong. If they did go down this route by relocating Manly, Cronulla and St George then we would have two powerful clubs from the heart of Sydney that are as big or bigger than the Broncos.