What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
great, another 15 years of closing the gap
At some point, sooner rather than later I`d suggest broadcast deals will max out, they have to. Given the strength of our game in the greater region let alone untapped growth potential within Oz, seriously you`d have to think that we have a lot more upside in our broadcast deals than our rivals over the next twenty years.
There`s a very likelihood that once we have the money to start pouring it into N.Z., P.N.G. and beyond we will get a return. They are most likely just headed for more and more suns and gws`s. As somebody said about gws, more vietnam`s.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Great point vfl had a local competition here well before rugby league was invented in Sydney

their club the walaroos? was getting massive crowds at the time

then the nswrl was born and soccer union and vfl were all eviserated

veni vidi vici
Rugby League was not invented in Sydney.

Rugby was played in Sydney (1863) from around the same time AR started (1866 in Sydney). It was reasonably popular (perhaps a similar level to today) until the NSW govt shut it down during WW2. Only a handful of clubs operated for the next 40 years.

In fact the NSWRL tried to merge RL with AR numerous times, starting in 1908 and actually voted YES to a hybrid game called Universal Football in 1915. NSWFL, VFL and SANFL also voted yes, but the war escalated and Qld and Tas had yet to form a position. WA voted NO.

If not for WW1, all Australians states might be playing the same game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At some point, sooner rather than later I`d suggest broadcast deals will max out, they have to. Given the strength of our game in the greater region let alone untapped growth potential within Oz, seriously you`d have to think that we have a lot more upside in our broadcast deals than our rivals over the next twenty years.
I heard that in 2018 lol

Iamback

Coach
There`s a very likelihood that once we have the money to start pouring it into N.Z., P.N.G. and beyond we will get a return. They are most likely just headed for more and more suns and gws`s. As somebody said about gws, more vietnam`s.

If the reported money from Sky is correct, Then NRL to get half of what Super Rugby does in NZ is good.

Again no confirmation of these numbers but

Some insist the NRL’s annual TV income of $450m is exaggerated, but the code did receive a record doubling of its international broadcasting fees last year.

That is one area that certainly can grow

MugaB

Coach
Everybody is missing the most important detail,
A thread about Slippery Pete has ticked over 100 pages,
True that most of those pages are filled with b*tching from
pissy red and a couple of his alts but still it's another
milestone achievement for the Great Man.
Storm80, seems like a wery wery pissy alt, and only started posting a few months back on this very thread, seems to like every PR rant too..
Im sure there's folks that are in agreement, but thats a big 'ol alt if I've ever seen one

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Rugby League was not invented in Sydney.

Rugby was played in Sydney (1863) from around the same time AR started (1866 in Sydney). It was reasonably popular (perhaps a similar level to today) until the NSW govt shut it down during WW2. Only a handful of clubs operated for the next 40 years.

In fact the NSWRL tried to merge RL with AR numerous times, starting in 1908 and actually voted YES to a hybrid game called Universal Football in 1915. NSWFL, VFL and SANFL also voted yes, but the war escalated and Qld and Tas had yet to form a position. WA voted NO.

If not for WW1, all Australians states might be playing the same game.

Lmao imagine someone new to code trying to lecture me on the history of rugby league

by the turn of the century vfl had almost supplanted rugby union as the favourite winter code of Sydney

unfortunately for the vfl star union players like dally messenger helped union hang on

then in 1907 the all blacks professional tour encouraged disgruntled union players to set up a professional rugby code in Sydney

they got a rule book from England and from around 1910 it was the dominant code and never looked back

vfl wanted to merge with league to benefit from inbound tours from England but the game was awful to watch

vfl had a chance to take over in both nsw and qld for a national football code but then rugby league came along and bounced it out of both states

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm80, seems like a wery wery pissy alt, and only started posting a few months back on this very thread, seems to like every PR rant too..
Im sure there's folks that are in agreement, but thats a big 'ol alt if I've ever seen one
after 52k posts you think I need an alt? lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the reported money from Sky is correct, Then NRL to get half of what Super Rugby does in NZ is good.

Again no confirmation of these numbers but

Some insist the NRL’s annual TV income of $450m is exaggerated, but the code did receive a record doubling of its international broadcasting fees last year.

That is one area that certainly can grow
The sky deal is worth $32.4mill cash and contra, up from $20mill. A significant increase after two tv deals of static $20mill ish a year payments. How good will depend how much of the $12.4mill extra is cash.

NZRU getting $91.7mill a year inc a 5% share in Sky (valued at $18mill)
In 2021 they received $80.1mill NZ in cash alone for media rights (up $28.5mill NZ from previous year)

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Lmao imagine someone new to code trying to lecture me on the history of rugby league

by the turn of the century vfl had almost supplanted rugby union as the favourite winter code of Sydney

unfortunately for the vfl star union players like dally messenger helped union hang on

then in 1907 the all blacks professional tour encouraged disgruntled union players to set up a professional rugby code in Sydney

they got a rule book from England and from around 1910 it was the dominant code and never looked back

vfl wanted to merge with league to benefit from inbound tours from England but the game was awful to watch

vfl had a chance to take over in both nsw and qld for a national football code but then rugby league came along and bounced it out of both states
Sorry, just replying to a post that said ''rugby league was invented in Sydney''. I must have missed the joke. Hard to keep up in this thread.

I am no expert, but am definitely not ''new to code''.

Canard

Immortal
Try :
* revival of World Club Championship ;
* Super League champion to play in pre-season tournament ;
* 5 week international window at the end of every year :
* secret negotiations with W.A. Gov`t. about the establishment of a top-level Govt. working group to explore partners for W.A. NRL team bid ;
* and God knows whatever else they may be planning that we have absolutely no idea about. Perhaps like the $20m sponsorship deal with Westpac signed last week that no-one had any idea was coming.

I cant see the WCC being much of a money spinner, especially when the game is invariably played in an unsuitable timezone, and only appeals to fans of one NRL club. The rest is generating more content for more money, so its like saying how about you work 50 hours a week if you want a higher salary?

For mine, the way to generate more money is to get team 18 sorted before 2027. The rest is fluff.

Last edited:

Latest posts