What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

I cant see the WCC being much of a money spinner, especially when the game is invariably played in an unsuitable timezone, and only appeals to fans of one NRL club.

For mine, the way to generate more money is to get team 18 sorted before 2027. The rest is fluff.
It needs to played in a country where fans of the game can see at a suitable time

Iamback

Coach
I cant see the WCC being much of a money spinner, especially when the game is invariably played in an unsuitable timezone, and only appeals to fans of one NRL club. The rest is generating more content for more money, so its like saying how about you work 50 hours a week if you want a higher salary?

For mine, the way to generate more money is to get team 18 sorted before 2027. The rest is fluff.

What out of that is bad for the game?
Teams are going to play trials, If a sponsor and TV comes on board helps.

Team 18 and the NRLW in proper form are the 2 which add the best content

Wb1234

Referee
I cant see the WCC being much of a money spinner, especially when the game is invariably played in an unsuitable timezone, and only appeals to fans of one NRL club. The rest is generating more content for more money, so its like saying how about you work 50 hours a week if you want a higher salary?

Afl got extra money by having an extra round of fumble ball

it’s not fluff

an end of season international series is massive

and getting paid for trial games is just smart business

Perth Red

Post Whore

That and dont extend beyond the current contract so it can go out to genuine competitive tender for 2028-. Might want to get rid of pistol pete before we get there as well so we have no more cold remedies offered up!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unlike you i have never derailed a thread
Literally the next page lol
Fumbleball can't do internationals with no regular 18 a side competitions outside of Australia and New Zealand, and always remind fumbleball fans that the UK fumbleball Grand Final is played on Clapham common and watched by an old man walking his dog and an old lady walking her dog.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
What out of that is bad for the game?
Teams are going to play trials, If a sponsor and TV comes on board helps.

Team 18 and the NRLW in proper form are the 2 which add the best content
Afl got extra money by having an extra round of fumble ball

it’s not fluff

an end of season international series is massive

and getting paid for trial games is just smart business

We should get more money for the content we have now is my point, and by getting team 18 in before the TV deal expires is the main way to do it.

Wb1234

Referee
We should get more money for the content we have now is my point, and by getting team 18 in before the TV deal expires is the main way to do it.
Which they are

but getting extra content doesn’t hurt

the international series has more benefits than just a higher tv deal

Perth Red

Post Whore
yep, get the ninth game introduced for 2026/27 as thats when the tv negotiations will begin for 2028- (hopefully!). Then go to open market for a nine game a week product. The danger of course is given pistol pete's track record he'll want to bring the 18th club in and renegotiate with the incumbents who you can guarantee will offer a bit more but want an extension past 2028 in return.

Which they are

but getting extra content doesn’t hurt

the international series has more benefits than just a higher tv deal
Fumbleball can't do internationals with no regular 18 a side competitions outside of Australia and New Zealand, and always remind fumbleball fans that the UK fumbleball Grand Final is played on Clapham common and watched by an old man walking his dog and an old lady walking her dog.

Wb1234

Referee
Even having St. Helens playing the tournament is something they can only dream of after their foray into China was a disaster

Perth Red

Post Whore
No matter how many extra teams they put in, or more extra content been generated, the NRL will still struggle to overtake the other mob.

At the moment, the NRL is getting nothing from a telco (Telstra).
We don't need to, that shipped sailed in 1997 I fear.
What we do need to do is be getting fair market value, which based on what they got is around $500-550mill for NRL. That would be an annual revenue increase for the game of around $100mill a year. You can do a lot with $100mill a year!

Perth Red

Post Whore
How much digital revenue does the NRL make per year?
Before it got hidden away around $24mill a year it got up to (2019). However there is an expense the NRl carries to generate that revenue. It invested $100million initially and pays out in the region of $10mill a year to operate its digital arm. Grant was the big driver of this, Pistol Pete has shut a key part of it down. Be interesting to see how the fall in traffic is impacting the revenue. No wonder he has hidden it away!
AFL have no expense as Telstra delivers it and pays them for it so its all cash in. Numbers are unknown but its traditionally been considered to be worth around $20mill cash to AFL a year.

Wb1234

Referee
How much digital revenue does the NRL make per year?
It’s not just the nrl (last report was 21 million pa)

the clubs themselves also receive money directly operating their own websites

and nobody knows how much cash the afl receives and how much is contra for digital revenue

the only report so far said the afl tv deal is 500 million pa whilst the nrl currently receives 430 milllon so it’s not hard to see league getting more