What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
Yeah the point I was making though is that you are arguing against clubs having too much power (which a lot of people would agree with you) yet you think a system which will inevitably give more power to clubs has more pro’s than con’s. It’s contradictory.

That is why I am a fan of the ARLC, Just think they don't have the correct members always doing the correct duties.

Take the NSW Govt fight. There are 2 ex MP's on the Commission, They should deal with Governments stuff like that would make further improvements to the system

Steel Saints

Juniors
That is why I am a fan of the ARLC, Just think they don't have the correct members always doing the correct duties.

Take the NSW Govt fight. There are 2 ex MP's on the Commission, They should deal with Governments stuff like that would make further improvements to the system

In the bold writing, that is a good point. In the commission, you have two ex politicians in Peter Beattie and Kate Jones. When it comes to lobbying government funding for stadiums, Beattie and Jones should be at the forefront, not PVL. His role should be to stand behind Beattie and Jones
and nod his head, just like a PM does with one of his MP's.

Perth Red

Post Whore
“It should also be remembered that they took the legal action against us, not us against them."

Yeh because you refused to pay them the grant they were due you dckhead. Twice he's now embarrassed the game in court, yet still saying its their fault!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think we should be comparing the NRL deal to the AFL. Instead the comparison should be between the 2018-2022 and 2023-2027 deals. Correct me if im wrong, but the 2018-2022 deal was $1.8 billion (before the Covid discounts) and the 2023-2027 is worth $2 billion or just over $2 billion.
Deal comparisons

2018-
Nine $125mill ($115mill cash)
Fox $240mill
Sky $20mill

2023-
Nine $130mill (still $115mill cash)
Fox $240mill
Sky $32mill

At the very best all the game has got is $12mill a year extra cash out of the new deal. Its a disgrace and how he is still in position is totally beyond me!

MugaB

Coach
In the bold writing, that is a good point. In the commission, you have two ex politicians in Peter Beattie and Kate Jones. When it comes to lobbying government funding for stadiums, Beattie and Jones should be at the forefront, not PVL. His role should be to stand behind Beattie and Jones
and nod his head, just like a PM does with one of his MP's.
videotogif_2022.07.06_12.38.02.gif
f**kn bro didn't know where the sharks played, or the difference between the Knights and Barcelona... woulda end up getting funding for a tasmanian RL stadium by accident

MugaB

Coach
Deal comparisons

2017-
Nine $125mill ($115mill cash)
Fox $240mill
Sky $20mill

2023-
Nine $130mill (still $115mill cash)
Fox $240mill
Sky $32mill

At the very best all the game has got is $12mill a year extra cash out of the new deal. Its a disgrace and how he is still in position is totally beyond me!
Dude seriously, you name a better arlc chairman to lead... its fkn mind blowing how far your head is up youre arse thinking PVL is the reason you got no Perf team... you got no Perf team, coz you got no junior talent, thats not PVLs problem, that W.As problem, stop looking for hand outs and recruit the best papuans you keep banging on about, grow your clubs, grow your comps, make one of them so good they stand out so much that the ARLC will licence them into the NRL.... or accept the bears and STFU

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dude seriously, you name a better arlc chairman to lead... its fkn mind blowing how far your head is up youre arse thinking PVL is the reason you got no Perf team... you got no Perf team, coz you got no junior talent, thats not PVLs problem, that W.As problem, stop looking for hand outs abd recruit the best papuans you keep banging on about, grow your clubs, make one of them stand out so much that the ARLC will licence them into the NRL.... or accept the bears and STFU
get your hand off it, nothing to do with a perth team. (Ironically he is the person most likely to deliver a perth team!)
The figures are right there for you to see. The tv deal he has anchored the game with is a disgrace. He should be sacked for this on its own. Dave Smith got sacked after delivering the biggest FTA deal Australia had ever seen ffs! Greenberg got sacked for refusing to give Ch9 big covid discounts. This merkin delivers arguably the worse tv deal in the games history and is still lording it over the game!

Iamback

Coach
Dude seriously, you name a better arlc chairman to lead... its fkn mind blowing how far your head is up youre arse thinking PVL is the reason you got no Perf team... you got no Perf team, coz you got no junior talent, thats not PVLs problem, that W.As problem, stop looking for hand outs abd recruit the best papuans you keep banging on about, grow your clubs, make one of them stand out so much that the ARLC will licence them into the NRL.... or accept the bears and STFU

Gotta love the way the troll quotes figures like he knows for certain...Despite it not being publicly announced

MugaB

Coach
get your hand off it, nothing to do with a perth team. (Ironically he is the person most likely to deliver a perth team!)
The figures are right there for you to see. The tv deal he has anchored the game with is a disgrace. He should be sacked for this on its own. Dave Smith got sacked after delivering the biggest FTA deal Australia had ever seen ffs!
Ok... then if thats the trend... whats your problem, relish MF

Obama Why.gif

You hate him so much, and he is getting kicked about by the greedy stakeholders he is meant to represent.. then still bitch about shit thats happened over 2 months ago FMD

Iamback

Coach
Hahaha Dave Smith

There was also another smart part of the deal for the network: Fox Sports will have to take eight minutes of commercials which generate revenue for Nine. So while the free-to-air viewers may be down on other years the all-important advertising dollars will be bigger than ever. Fox also have the option of taking Nine's coverage.

As the deal has panned out News and Telstra have in effect subsidised the Nine deal – which works out at $125 million for three-and-a-quarter rounds of football, which compares with the Seven deal for AFL, which gives them three-and-a-half rounds of football for $160 million.

$125m back before Fox had every game live and coming off the highest rating SOO ever

Stick to AFL clown!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gotta love the way the troll quotes figures like he knows for certain...Despite it not being publicly announced
haha I know, and you know I know!
denial, such a sweet state to be in.

2019 media revenue $324.5mill cash + $24.5mill contra + the advance Ch9 gave the game in 2015. Source 2019 annual report

Nrl announce $400mill tv deal
Media reports NRL has a $160mill war chest for Nz after new Sky tv deal ($32mill a year)
Ch 9 announce new tv deal is $115mill + 415mill contra

isn't rocket science!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahaha Dave Smith

There was also another smart part of the deal for the network: Fox Sports will have to take eight minutes of commercials which generate revenue for Nine. So while the free-to-air viewers may be down on other years the all-important advertising dollars will be bigger than ever. Fox also have the option of taking Nine's coverage.

As the deal has panned out News and Telstra have in effect subsidised the Nine deal – which works out at $125 million for three-and-a-quarter rounds of football, which compares with the Seven deal for AFL, which gives them three-and-a-half rounds of football for $160 million.

$125m back before Fox had every game live and coming off the highest rating SOO ever

Stick to AFL clown!
are you saying Dave Smith didnt deliver the biggest FTA tv deal in australian sports history? and got sacked for it? cuckoo cuckoo

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok... then if thats the trend... whats your problem, relish MF

View attachment 67995

You hate him so much, and he is getting kicked about by the greedy stakeholders he is meant to represent.. then still bitch about shit thats happened over 2 months ago FMD
One of the biggest f**k ups in the games history that will cost the game for many many years to come. Yeh I have a problem with it. Interesting that you dont?

MugaB

Coach
are you saying Dave Smith didnt deliver the biggest FTA tv deal in australian sports history? and got sacked for it? cuckoo cuckoo
Whys everything an argument? Lamback was just reminiscing, you must read every posts as some sort of personal perf attack

MugaB

Coach
One of the biggest f**k ups in the games history that will cost the game for many many years to come. Yeh I have a problem with it. Interesting that you dont?
Nope, still the biggest RL deal... you only cracked it AFTER alf got their deal higher... funny tho, it wasn't an issue before..
And also love that you seem so butthurt, as if that CASH, would fund WARL somehow.. and you're somehow missing out on it...
.. and still the biggest RL tv deal... even without the fumbleball metros.... imagine if their was a perf and dell...sheesh
unnamed.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope, still the biggest RL deal... you only cracked it AFTER alf got their deal higher... funny tho, it wasn't an issue before..
And also love that you seem so butthurt, as if that CASH, would fund WARL somehow.. and you're somehow missing out on it...
.. and still the biggest RL tv deal... even without the fumbleball metros.... imagine if their was a perf and dell...sheesh
View attachment 67996
I think you'll find at the time of announcing it and before AFl deal I was highly critical of the $ increase and the lack of significant uplift from a 17th club. AFL deal just put it into a whole different league of incompetence.

yes its an increase, its also the smallest increase between deals in modern times.

again, that you seem to find it such a positive outcome for the game is very interesting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They ended up being out of pocket $125m, Fox paid them NOT the NRL for the Sat night game. Cost the NRL $60m a year straight up
lol not even close to being accurate.
Consider this. Ch9 originally agreed to pay NRL $185mill a year
after Smith was sacked and the deal torn up they ended up paying NRL $125million a year. Thats $60million less than Smith negotiated. Now if you believe that Fox more than made up that $60million you are kidding yourself and I have a Nigerian prince that would like to talk to you. All Smith had to do was offer full simucast and digital streaming (Fox about to launch Kayo dont forget) and Fox would have stumped up more than $180mill making it a net gain for NRL.
Such is NRL and its incompetent negotiation skills, only compounded by this latest Vlandys f**k up. I mean he himself admitted he undersold the rights to help out the tv companies.
Seriously how on earth can you defend that?