What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Colk

First Grade
Can Australia support a 20 team competition?

A 12 or 14 team competition would be ideal given our small size. To get down to that we will need to rationalise Sydney. Only a lunatic would advocate for all nine teams in Sydney to remain when all the evidence proves it's unsustainable. We've got the clubs wanting V'landys to give them $5m on top of the salary cap to stay afloat. The weakest clubs are in Sydney and they make up more than 50% of the league, so there's no doubt who is demanding the extra funding.

If V'landys is the master negotiator like his sycophants on here claim then he'll use this as an opportunity to expand the game into new markets. Tell Tigers and Dragons they will only get the extra funding if they both take one game per year to Malaysia and Singapore and rebrand as The Tigers and The Dragons, with the goal being to attract investors from these markets to prop up their inadequate revenue stream from sponsorship and corporate hospitality. "Wests" and "St George" are meaningless names and should have been retired years ago.

You would lose a fair bit of TV money comparing a 20 team competition to a 12 or 14 team. Pretty simple economics.

TV companies want content so I don’t understand how giving them less games per week would equal more TV money. That’s Andrew Johns’ level type of business acumen

You would lose a fair bit of TV money comparing a 20 team competition to a 12 or 14 team. Pretty simple economics.

TV companies want content so I don’t understand how giving them less games per week would equal more TV money. That’s Andrew Johns’ level type of business acumen
They didn't give us anything for the Dolphins, despite them providing an extra 12 or 24 games.

Ch9 doesn't want anymore than three games a week.

Foxtel will never pay us what they're giving the other mob.

There's not enough half-backs and five-eights to support 16 teams.

Foxtel want all games to be standalone and some timeslots deliver shit ratings. They would like to see the end of the 2pm Sun and 3pm Sat games.

Taking all of this into consideration, I cannot see a 20 team competition commanding a significant increase in payments from Foxtel to support a salary cap of $11.5m and $5m per club x 20 without eating into funding at the grassroots level.

Colk

First Grade
They didn't give us anything for the Dolphins, despite them providing an extra 12 or 24 games.

Ch9 doesn't want anymore than three games a week.

Foxtel will never pay us what they're giving the other mob.

There's not enough half-backs and five-eights to support 16 teams.

Foxtel want all games to be standalone and some timeslots deliver shit ratings. They would like to see the end of the 2pm Sun and 3pm Sat games.

Taking all of this into consideration, I cannot see a 20 team competition commanding a significant increase in payments from Foxtel to support a salary cap of $11.5m and $5m per club x 20 without eating into funding at the grassroots level.

That’s because of poor negotiation.

You see a trend in pretty much every other sporting competition - you add more supply, you get more money. You also throw it out to open tender to better utilise the demand that is out there.

Nevertheless, TV money would go severely down if you reduce the number of sides. You and I are both complaining about the fact that they didn’t secure enough money. Reducing the amount of content you can sell doesn’t seem logical.

The_Wookie

Bench
I disagree wholeheartedly.

The clubs aren't generating enough money from their football operations to survive. It's why they're running to the ARLC for more money.

How many Sydney clubs would be viable without the annual grant and gaming machine revenue?

The Commission exists to support the incumbent clubs. Its literally part of its job. TV rights money is centralised revenue, so is sponsorship, licensing and betting money - and the clubs that generate those rights should be able to share that if they choose.

That the AFL does this differently works for them - with the consent of the AFL clubs and everyone else involved. That the NRL does it this way doesnt make it wrong.

Maybe three or four. That's all. There's no guarantee gaming machine revenue will be around forever.

The extra money from the Commission would free most clubs of the need to be granted money from the Leagues clubs. NRL clubs arent all that expensive to run.

Most Sydney clubs play out of stadia that's not up to standard. They won't move to a centralised location like SFS or Parramatta Stadium. They're not getting brand new stadia built for them by the NSW Gov. These clubs are going to fall further behind the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Eels, Roosters and Storm because their small grounds lack the facilities to generate strong revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality. The bigger clubs won't want these strugglers holding them back and will eventually fight for a larger share of revenue from the ARLC or will form their own competition.

Theres always going to be smaller clubs. Someone has to come last.

Don't be surprised if Roosters, Eels, Panthers and possibly Rabbitohs join the Broncos, Cowboys, Dolphins, Storm, Titans, Warriors and Raiders form a new elite league within the next 10 to 15 years.

Rugby league wont forget the lessons of Superleague any time soon. They might threaten and they might talk, but its not going to happen IMO

That’s because of poor negotiation.

You see a trend in pretty much every other sporting competition - you add more supply, you get more money. You also throw it out to open tender to better utilise the demand that is out there.

Nevertheless, TV money would go severely down if you reduce the number of sides. You and I are both complaining about the fact that they didn’t secure enough money. Reducing the amount of content you can sell doesn’t seem logical.
Can you guarantee that any increase in revenue for a 20 team competition will be proportionally equal to or greater than what we're getting now for each club under the current funding model?

I don't doubt the absolute total will be bigger, but so too will the amount distributed to the clubs. V'landys has already gutted funding at the junior level to accommodate the professional level.

At present we have the RLPA and clubs demanding the annual grant for each team to be $16.3m per annum. That's $277,100,000 for all 17 clubs. We'll need to set aside $326,000,000 for a 20 team competition under this model. We're only getting about $370m in cash at present for 17 teams. Divide that figure by 17 and you get $21,764,705.9. Mutliply that number by 20 and you get $435,294,118. So we'll need teams 18, 19 and 20 to add $65,294,117 to the deal to avoid cutting money from other areas of the game. We're already a mile behind our main competitor when it comes to funding junior development.

Private schools in Brisbane no longer care about our game. I watched a graduation ceremony for a relative the other day. The students and teachers mentioned AFL and quoted Ron Barassi numerous times without even talking about rugby league. Their highlights video showed students playing soccer, fumbleball, basketball, volleyball and rugby union. I think rugby league might have gotten less than a second of screen time. That's the state of the game at the junior level in the inner suburbs of Brisbane. If we keep stripping money from the game at this level then I'd hate to see how irrelevant and niche our sport is in 2040.

The Commission exists to support the incumbent clubs. Its literally part of its job. TV rights money is centralised revenue, so is sponsorship, licensing and betting money - and the clubs that generate those rights should be able to share that if they choose.

That the AFL does this differently works for them - with the consent of the AFL clubs and everyone else involved. That the NRL does it this way doesnt make it wrong.

The extra money from the Commission would free most clubs of the need to be granted money from the Leagues clubs. NRL clubs arent all that expensive to run.

Theres always going to be smaller clubs. Someone has to come last.

Rugby league wont forget the lessons of Superleague any time soon. They might threaten and they might talk, but its not going to happen IMO
See my response to @Colk regarding junior RL in Brisbane to see how the ARLC model is killing the game. We've now got prestigious schools in the inner suburbs of Brisbane favouring AFL and viewing rugby league as a niche sport. We cannot afford to lose the next generation to our main competitor if we want to maintain market share. We've got kids and teachers in Brisbane schools quoting Ron Barassi. Unheard of when I was a kid. None of these kids were alive when Barassi played and coached.

Last edited:
Sounds like Brisbane and dare i say it QLD in general has lost the battle whilst Sydney clubs just power ahead and prove why they're #1. "Ron who?" is what they say in the harbour city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
V'landys is a divisive figure and rubbed a lot of important people the wrong way. But he's also the only person from the ARLC who has done anything about expansion.

Is there anyone else who can lead the ARLC and expand the game?
He did, with supposedly the most valuable expansion option we had, but somehow managed to get no money for it. effectively meaning it’s going to cost the game over $16million a year. That’s some dumb sht right there.

well if the nrl wasn’t so sht run and the arlc actually had a vision and a strategy for expansion then any ceo should be able to deliver the strategy!

He did, with supposedly the most valuable expansion option we had, but somehow managed to get no money for it. effectively meaning it’s going to cost the game over $16million a year. That’s some dumb sht right there.

well if the nrl wasn’t so sht run and the arlc actually had a vision and a strategy for expansion then any ceo should be able to deliver the strategy!
If we cannot get Ch9 and Foxtel to pay for Brisbane 2 then what chance do we have of getting money out of them for Adelaide, Perth, NZ 2 or Brisbane 3?

I think the ARLC has to take some blame on this one. Over the years they've sacked the chairman and CEO to appease Foxtel and Ch9 during negotiations for broadcast rights. V'landys saw what happened to Smith, Grant and Greenberg when they put our game ahead of the broadcasters, so he went in to bat for himself and did Ch9/Foxtel a favour to keep them onside. It's why still has a job. It doesn't give me much confidence going forward as the ARLC and broadcasters are in it for themselves. We've got the clubs and RLPA using their influence over the ARLC to suck every last penny out of the game's coffers when the junior clubs need it the most. Fumbleball will double down on their investment in Brisbane and Sydney now that they're richer than ever. We could end up like rugby league in France if we're not careful.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we cannot get Ch9 and Foxtel to pay for Brisbane 2 then what chance do we have of getting money out of them for Adelaide, Perth, NZ 2 or Brisbane 3?

I think the ARLC has to take some blame on this one. Over the years they've sacked the chairman and CEO to appease Foxtel and Ch9 during negotiations for broadcast rights. V'landys saw what happened to Smith, Grant and Greenberg when they put our game ahead of the broadcasters, so he went in to bat for himself and did Ch9/Foxtel a favour to keep them onside. It's why still has a job. It doesn't give me much confidence going forward as the ARLC and broadcasters are in it for themselves. We've got the clubs and RLPA using their influence over the ARLC to suck every last penny out of the game's coffers when the junior clubs need it the most. Fumbleball will double down on their investment in Brisbane and Sydney now that they're richer than ever. We could end up like rugby league in France if we're not careful.
The only hope is going to open tender And competition bidding against each other, that’s where a ninth game to sell becomes valuable.
We should never have expanded by just one club and especially when we weren’t going to sell the extra content on the open market.
Ive been saying for years the value is in the ninth game and adding one team will be worth nothing, and as usual I was proved right, all be it assisted by Vlandys incompetence/corruption.

It’ll be interesting to see in march the next annual report and if the commission have put the missing $25mill in grassroots funding and the $10mill in community development back!

The only hope is going to open tender And competition bidding against each other, that’s where a ninth game to sell becomes valuable.
We should never have expanded by just one club and especially when we weren’t going to sell the extra content on the open market.
Ive been saying for years the value is in the ninth game and adding one team will be worth nothing, and as usual I was proved right, all be it assisted by Vlandys incompetence/corruption.

It’ll be interesting to see in march the next annual report and if the commission have put the missing $25mill in grassroots funding and the $10mill in community development back!
If the ARLC dares to put the rights out to an open tender then Ch9/Foxtel will use their platform to bag off the chairman/CEO until one or both of them are sacked and replaced by some one who gives them a nice deal. The game is divided into factions that will f**k one another over to get what's best for themselves. News Ltd know it all too well as it was partnered with them for 15 years. News Ltd knows exactly what the QRL, NSWRL, RLPA and NRL clubs want and use it to play each faction against one another. The entire ARLC is set up in a way that allows any one of these factions to take their ball and go home the moment they don't think they're being put first. All it takes is a few media articles from News Ltd and Ch9 to stir up paranoia between the factions and we'll have clubs threatening to breakaway and players threatening to play RU.

Latest posts