What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

MugaB

Coach
Doesn’t sound like they want to be part of the cowboys

sounds like the mayor wants a team of their own

maybe by totally ignoring the area it wasn’t the wisest move for the club
Ignoring cairns isn't the issue, they have a brand new stadium, central to the northqld area, they should be using it as much as possible, should have the other 16 clubs take a couple of home game there against the Cowboys, maybe 1 or 2, Souths do it, maybe just one other

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the ARLC dares to put the rights out to an open tender then Ch9/Foxtel will use their platform to bag off the chairman/CEO until one or both of them are sacked and replaced by some one who gives them a nice deal. The game is divided into factions that will f**k one another over to get what's best for themselves. News Ltd know it all too well as it was partnered with them for 15 years. News Ltd knows exactly what the QRL, NSWRL, RLPA and NRL clubs want and use it to play each faction against one another. The entire ARLC is set up in a way that allows any one of these factions to take their ball and go home the moment they don't think they're being put first. All it takes is a few media articles from News Ltd and Ch9 to stir up paranoia between the factions and we'll have clubs threatening to breakaway and players threatening to play RU.
Which is why the arlc needs an airtight relationship with these groups built on trust. After Vlandys just tried to screw the players out of $25million good luck with that!

if anything after the afl result the clubs and players should be asking pistol Pete why he has lost the game hundreds of millions of $’s, it’s in their own self interest for us to get as much out of tv as possible.

Vee

First Grade
Cairns is Cowboys country and no government is spending $300M on a new stadium only 2 years after building one on Townsville, especially for 6 games of a team representing another country.

It's a non starter of an idea.
All these Sydney-ites know so much about Cairns and what will work here. You need to stop arguing with fools mate, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Wb1234

Referee
He made another announcement this year too which I linked

don’t blame Sydneysiders this is coming from the mayor of cairns

and it solves all the problems of a png nrl team and is way better than sharing with Darwin

the only issue will be complaints from the cowboys about this eating into their territory

once they add Perth nz2 and Brisbane 3 then Adelaide and png are the prime candidates for teams

Iamback

Coach
This isnt the 90s. Thanks to the NRLs improved financial state, the clubs are all generating profits now - and yes thats due to larger distributions - but they are entitled to those since the league makes that money off the clubs back in the first place. Memberships are stable if not rising, attendances are improving.

Ive never understood the folks who feel the need to start disposing or moving of clubs in Sydney in the current economic league climate. League thrives on its tribalism.

Good post. Good realistic metric of whether the game is growing too

Iamback

Coach

and it solves all the problems of a png nrl team and is way better than sharing with Darwin

the only issue will be complaints from the cowboys about this eating into their territory

once they add Perth nz2 and Brisbane 3 then Adelaide and png are the prime candidates for teams

Your original link was from 6 months ago 😂

Brisbane GPS schools have never played Rugby League.
You've done it again by assuming something that wasn't written. I was not talking about GPS schools. My relatives attend an independent Catholic school that's a member of the Associated Independent Colleges sporting association. It most definitely does play rugby league and has produced many NRL players.

Canard

Immortal

It's a non starter and not happening anytime in the next 50 years

Storm80

Juniors
f**k you're a sad pathetic loser
Why cause he states the bleeding obvious? That the head of ARLC and the CEO of NRL should always attend a World Cup final.

Other than for illness or death of a relative, I can’t think of any excuse that could justify them not being at the World Cup.

Certainly not some piss weak excuse like “we need to focus on the CBA” especially when the bloke they spent the last year attempting to negotiate with is over in UK himself.

Surely ARLC and NRL executives didn’t cancelled simply because they were afraid to be in the same room as players they are in dispute with?

No one could be that cowardly could they? Hmmm surely not

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its no wonder the players dont trust Vlandys as far as they could throw him!

“There was $11 million on the table and then we sent some auditors in and it turns out there’s $40 million there buried.
“No one really talks about the broadcast deal that was negotiated early in the middle of a pandemic … I understand why Fox and Channel 9 don’t want to talk about it for obvious reasons but I think we’ve really acted in good faith and it’s really frustrating to see how it’s playing out at the moment.”