What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
Look all things considered theres plenty of good signs.

- TV Ratings and streaming are going gangbusters
- Crowds have improved
- Memberships are ok
- Revenue is up as a whole
- Clubs are profitable
- The league has actually done an expansion team. Actually done it.
- the game appears to be growing stronger in the pacific region, particularly Tonga, and almost certainly in Samoa.
- wouldnt be surprised to see some growth in Wheelchair rugby after this World Cup either, it was really well received
- more exposure in NZ than ever.
- the Storm are growing every year in Melbourne, and they are doing some nifty things in Victorian schools and with the VRL
- NRLW is flying
- new stadiums in Townsville, Parramatta and Moore Park in the last 4 years, one to come in Penrith.
- COE facilities being built or already built for almost every club in the league.

Really, at the moment, whatever you believe about the rights deal, if you get development right, the sky is the limit.

I dont think Vlandys and Abdo are the men to take the league forward in the mid to long term, but they have been the men to get it where it is now. Vlandys, for all his faults, is not afraid to make demands and put himself front and centre. After Gallop and Greenburg, Smith and Grant the league needed some grunt. that might have been a necessary intermediate step to make.

TV rights I am not commenting until we get figures but on projections given to players that even seems to be record amounts - Whether it could be more. Is a discussion for later.

Too often on here people make crazy comparisons, So it is a change to get some realistic points made
Australia has 1/2 half of the nation preferring AFL
The other half has another code that eats into revenue, Player pools etc.

The major codes in Australia have a high turnover of Chairmen, CEO's so I am sure neither will be in their positions in 5 years if another team comes in.
NRLW gets a home then it is a good stint

mongoose

Coach
Not to be a debbie downer but....... :)

FTA is down, streaming is up. Is there any net gain?
- Crowds have improved
not really, take out the magic weekend fudge and we havent reached our purple patch of 2010-2014 since.
- Memberships are ok
Were going great until the NRL handed the responsibility back to the clubs. Now its showing the real haves and have nots in terms of active fanbases and slowed to a trickle for most clubs
yep, as it should be. Shame the revenue gap with our main competitor is widening massively though in next few years
- Clubs are profitable
Largely due to NRL handouts, at the potential cost of grassroots funding
Yeh we got one at long last! Shame it didn't bring in any money but hey ho
- the game appears to be growing stronger in the pacific region, particularly Tonga, and almost certainly in Samoa.
Is it? Not seen any participation rate numbers to suggest it is or isnt. Western Sydney isnt a PI :)
- wouldnt be surprised to see some growth in Wheelchair rugby after this World Cup either, it was really well received
you'd hope so, it was brilliant and I really hope the ARLC look to support it better here
yep, only good part of the new tv deal
- the Storm are growing every year in Melbourne, and they are doing some nifty things in Victorian schools and with the VRL
yep, crowds are down a bit but participation is improving, Storm are working much closer with NRLVic now and their memberships are going gangbusters
- NRLW is flying
yep, the growth in the womens game from grassroots to NRLW is the big shining success story fo the last 5 years for RL
- new stadiums in Townsville, Parramatta and Moore Park in the last 4 years, one to come in Penrith.
we are slowly getting there. Shame the wheels fell off in Sydney ,again, but hopefully they'll figure it out one day. Now maybe Vlandys could do something to advocate for Canberra?
- COE facilities being built or already built for almost every club in the league.
yep always good to see nice gyms.

The games spent nearly $4BILLION since becoming independent. Has the ROI been that good? Can you honestly say the game is so much better than in 2013?
I think you are being a bit unrealistic with a lot of this stuff. There are a lot of variables that affect things like crowds ratings, participation and new stadiums, things that NRL HQ have no control over. FTA is a dying medium for one, ratings would be down across the board on all channels in all timeslots I imagine. On crowds we are at least back to pre-covid numbers and that was with the Warriors playing at Redcliffe. I don't think our main competitor is back to where they were pre-covid.

MugaB

Coach

Is that what you think a CoE is? A nice gym? geez bro perth must be super broke,
Centre of Excellence is not just a gym, is basically a breeding ground for the squad, they basically spend the whole week there, eat there, train there, nurse their injuries there, its basically an army barracks for a club, you probably should watch a few vids on penriths acedemy.. its the reason each club wants one

Iamback

Coach
Welsch is just a whinger... put him up there with Clint Newton and Harry "picksup tools" Grant

Neither side is doing themselves favours here.

I have seen the reported wants from the women and I can't see anywhere. A proposed season schedule

Iamback

Coach
I think you are being a bit unrealistic with a lot of this stuff. There are a lot of variables that affect things like crowds ratings, participation and new stadiums, things that NRL HQ have no control over. FTA is a dying medium for one, ratings would be down across the board on all channels in all timeslots I imagine. On crowds we are at least back to pre-covid numbers and that was with the Warriors playing at Redcliffe. I don't think our main competitor is back to where they were pre-covid.

He often does.

I have noticed head office trying to make more 'event' games. Get enough of them and crowds will increase despite the Thurs and 6 pm Friday schedules

MugaB

Coach
So make up some hypothetical situation, include some homophobic slurs, then get enraged by said hypothetical.

Like I've I always said, I don't understand why people are loyal to administrators and corporate boardrooms.
Sorry about the homophobic slur... i used that word without thinking of its meaning...
But im not loyal to the admin, just sick of experienced well earning players coming out and dissing thier own admin in public, when they are reasonably well off, compared to the average aussie worker... lets use tradies for example hey harry
videotogif_2022.11.10_21.36.23.gif

Why cause he states the bleeding obvious? That the head of ARLC and the CEO of NRL should always attend a World Cup final.

Other than for illness or death of a relative, I can’t think of any excuse that could justify them not being at the World Cup.

Certainly not some piss weak excuse like “we need to focus on the CBA” especially when the bloke they spent the last year attempting to negotiate with is over in UK himself.

Surely ARLC and NRL executives didn’t cancelled simply because they were afraid to be in the same room as players they are in dispute with?

No one could be that cowardly could they? Hmmm surely not
Its especially damaging for V'landys to not attend the World Cup after the tournament was postponed for a year because he refused to send Australian and New Zealand teams to it. He's basically said "f**k you" to IRL two years in a row. He's unfit to run the game and it's time IRL punished the ARLC for bringing the game into disrepute.

MugaB

Coach
Its especially damaging for V'landys to not attend the World Cup after the tournament was postponed for a year because he refused to send Australian and New Zealand teams to it. He's basically said "f**k you" to IRL two years in a row. He's unfit to run the game and it's time IRL punished the ARLC for bringing the game into disrepute.
Ok.... did you go to the world cup, or watch it from your comfy couch in bumfk logan...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is that what you think a CoE is? A nice gym? geez bro perth must be super broke,
Centre of Excellence is not just a gym, is basically a breeding ground for the squad, they basically spend the whole week there, eat there, train there, nurse their injuries there, its basically an army barracks for a club, you probably should watch a few vids on penriths acedemy.. its the reason each club wants one
so a gym and a cafe? Sweet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually I'm trying to bring some realism into the conversation! And I'm not basing it on last season, rather the overall trend since NRL went independent and how (leaving the covid years aside) the game is tracking for the amount of untold riches it has had available to spend in the last ten years. Then you can overlay now on top of that to see if we are hitting targets or meandering along.

Yes there are many variables but that doesn't stop a discussion around how we should measure the games progress and if its achieving improvements. Then throw in if you choose to measure your performance against your nearest rival and then finally it comes down to expectation and how you personally set your bar for success. Set it low and the world is a shiny and fluffy place, set it too high and you'll be forever disappointed.

As with everything, no rights or wrongs just opinions and arguments :)

Last edited:

FTA is down, streaming is up. Is there any net gain?
- Crowds have improved
not really, take out the magic weekend fudge and we havent reached our purple patch of 2010-2014 since.
- Memberships are ok
Were going great until the NRL handed the responsibility back to the clubs. Now its showing the real haves and have nots in terms of active fanbases and slowed to a trickle for most clubs
yep, as it should be. Shame the revenue gap with our main competitor is widening massively though in next few years
- Clubs are profitable
Largely due to NRL handouts, at the potential cost of grassroots funding
Yeh we got one at long last! Shame it didn't bring in any money but hey ho
Is it? Not seen any participation rate numbers to suggest it is or isnt. Western Sydney isnt a PI :)
you'd hope so, it was brilliant and I really hope the ARLC look to support it better here
yep, only good part of the new tv deal
yep, crowds are down a bit but participation is improving, Storm are working much closer with NRLVic now and their memberships are going gangbusters
- NRLW is flying
yep, the growth in the womens game from grassroots to NRLW is the big shining success story fo the last 5 years for RL
we are slowly getting there. Shame the wheels fell off in Sydney ,again, but hopefully they'll figure it out one day. Now maybe Vlandys could do something to advocate for Canberra?

The games spent nearly $4BILLION since becoming independent. Has the ROI been that good? Can you honestly say the game is so much better than in 2013?
I like @The_Wookie, but I think he got a lot wrong in his post.

Ratings on FTA are dropping at an alarming rate and or broadcast righta deal is the worst we've signed in over decade.

Memberships are stagnant and so too are attendances.

Penrith is not getting a new stadium.

Clubs being well funded by the ARLC isn't good for the game, as the money is coming at the expense of junior RL and giving AwFuL a free ride to make further inroads in Brisbane and Sydney.

Cronulla and Manly will never be anything but small teams with small fanbases. V'landys' decision to reduce funding of junior RL just so he can keep these parasites afloat is a waste of money. Roosters and Dragons could be so much bigger if they weren't competing with these small clubs.

Wb1234

Referee
Look all things considered theres plenty of good signs.

- Crowds have improved
- Memberships are ok
- Clubs are profitable
- NRLW is flying

Really, at the moment, whatever you believe about the rights deal, if you get development right, the sky is the limit.

I dont think Vlandys and Abdo are the men to take the league forward in the mid to long term, but they have been the men to get it where it is now. Vlandys, for all his faults, is not afraid to make demands and put himself front and centre. After Gallop and Greenburg, Smith and Grant the league needed some grunt. that might have been a necessary intermediate step to make.
Unlike afl nrl clubs are dead set against expansion

the clubs paid for an independent report after vlandys wanted to expand in the hope it would kill expansion once and for all

the qrl were against the dolphins being admitted. Just imagine that. A state body dedicated to promoting rugby league in qld was opposed to another nrl club in their area (because the dolphins were a qrl club)

vlandys had been able to circumvent the politics from the state bodies and the clubs

that’s his biggest win

Wb1234

Referee
I drove past the tigers one

all I can say is wow that thing is epic

might actually help to turn them around

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I drove past the tigers one

all I can say is wow that thing is epic

might actually help to turn them around
You don`t get a well-known multi-national Insurance company like Zurich wanting to plaster their name on the front of it if this is only a "gym and a cafe ".

"Financial Services Australia (Zurich) has entered into partnership with the National Rugby League (NRL) Wests Tigers.

“We are now delighted to welcome Zurich as a premier partner of Wests Tigers. This aligns a highly reputable, international brand with a state-of-the-art facility and two organisations which share strong community values,”

Great to have sponsors like Zurich associating themselves with Rugby League. Lifts the tone of the whole competition.

Wb1234

Referee
You don`t get a well-known multi-national Insurance company like Zurich wanting to plaster their name on the front of it if this is only a "gym and a cafe ".

"Financial Services Australia (Zurich) has entered into partnership with the National Rugby League (NRL) Wests Tigers.

“We are now delighted to welcome Zurich as a premier partner of Wests Tigers. This aligns a highly reputable, international brand with a state-of-the-art facility and two organisations which share strong community values,”

Great to have sponsors like Zurich associating themselves with Rugby League. Lifts the tone of the whole competition.
The building literally occupies half the old concord oval