What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The_Wookie

Bench
We know Ch9's payments.

Thats not in question. We dont know precisely what Sky or Fox are paying.

Contra has definitely risen.

Its been reported by the Telegraph - that well know bastian of unfettered truths - that Sky are paying an increased amount of contra. What Fox are paying is anyones guess.

What about cash?

I have no idea. No one does except probably Abdo and Vlandys and co.

The SMH article I provided above says "approximately $400m." Could be less for all we know.

Well no Abdo himself said above 400m pa. If I take Mclachlans word that his deal is "north of 4 billion", then its fair to take the word of the NRL CEO.

What we do know is Sky are paying more this time. If the part about Foxtel chipping in $20m per annum for The Dolphins is correct that means when V'landys originally negotiated the deal he agreed to the same amount as last time.

Evidence not really there to base this assumption on. Every calculation is based on the "over 400m pa" remarks. And we just dont know how much that is - reporting in the media has it anywhere from 402-450m.

True, but when compared with what the other mob are getting it's a shit deal. Every time the two codes sign a new deal AwFuL comes out on top. I've seen delusional rugby league fans claim we'll beat them next time around for over 15 years. I cannot see us ever beating them.

That wasnt, and isnt really my concern when im listing rugby league growth. If you look at rugby league by itself and cease worrying about the AFL, you'd probably see that its doing pretty damn well for itself. Its not perfect by any stretch, but theres plenty of positives out there if you look.

The NRL drew higher attendances between 2005 and 2014 than in 2022. This year was an improvement on every season since 2014, but how much of that is down to Cowboys and Broncos rising up the ladder and people getting a chance to see their teams play at stadia without seating restrictions for the first time since the pandemic?

Broncos have always had decent attendances. Cant really blame increases on that. You can look to increased crowds at Commbank for Parramatta and sellouts at Penrith, and record crowds for the Storm as fairly good indicators though.

Canard

Immortal
Just remember, it was the QRL that favoured the Broncos for admission to the (then) NSWRL competition as the other major consortium opposing them was fronted by Ron McAuliffe, and the then QRL didn't want him lording it over them any further after he'd stepped down from the QRL Board.

I don't have any links, but in my memory, the QRL always had a strong dislike and rivalry with the Broncos (maybe this was after their forming?). And they actively worked against each other for years.

For example the Broncos moved on from Lang Park, because the QRL wouldn't budge on the XXXX pouring rights for the ground.

Wb1234

Immortal
Myself - and LeagueUnlimited - have run their calculation as based on the highest attendance reported for each day, divided by the number of matches played. Its also how the NRL reported them in the first year, as did AFLtables.

Ive always run a secondary calculation based on the way the NRL and AFLtables do it now, every match attendance/every match.

What most believe is that this inflates the attendance figures - which it does if done the second way, the problem with the first way is it probably underestimates numbers, but not by much.

Origin and Finals dont run as double headers so no issues there.
Yeh

the other way does artificially boost crowds your way is the right way

Wb1234

Immortal
I don't have any links, but in my memory, the QRL always had a strong dislike and rivalry with the Broncos (maybe this was after their forming?). And they actively worked against each other for years.

For example the Broncos moved on from Lang Park, because the QRL wouldn't budge on the XXXX pouring rights for the ground.
No he’s right

the rivalry came after the broncos were admitted and they were getting into arguments with the qrl about using powers as a sponsor harming the qrl deal with xxxx

think they welcomed the entry of the crushers and then that set off super league

The_Wookie

Bench
AFL TABLES includes Magic Round games in their overall figure. I subtracted the total attendance over Magic Round and divided it by 184 to find out what the average was for all games outside of Magic Round. It's only slightly better than the seasons since 2014.

Thats great and all, but instead of removing magic round, we - and I mean myself and this website - calculated it as we would a doubleheader - take each days top attendance and divided it by matches played. Ive done this every year (as AFL tables AND the NRL did in year 1)

The gov said the money's going to flood victims. V'landys threw a tantrum.

Vlandys was unhappy the Government wasnt going to honor a prior commitment he thought was a done deal. While he could have handled it better, his disappointment is not without merit.

@Perth Red knows the amount that was taken out of grassroots.

No he doesnt.

You reckon Sydney should have nine teams. The figures prove the Sydney public and commercial sector don't want to support nine teams. A third Brisbane team would offer more than any of the current Sydney teams.

Which figures say this exactly?

How do you explain Broncos getting $12.7m and Dolphins $10m in sponsorship and corporate hospitality when Sydney's dominant Panthers can only secure $9.1m and are the highest drawing team in Sydney?

Same clubs are better supported and better organised than others. Not every club is going to be massive. Panthers are also backed/owned by...*checks notes*...the not insignificant Panthers Group.

Broncos did that despite sitting at the foot of the ladder in 2020 and 2021. Dolphins have an average roster. Panthers win the majority of their games. This ain't looking good for the Sydney teams.

See above.

You made an incorrect statement about the Panthers' earnings from sponsorship and corporate hospitality last week that doesn't line up with their 2021 annual report. What you said they earned was way below what their annual report said.

*sigh*

No i didnt. There are actually two annual reports issued for Panthers. One is issued for the entire Panthers Group, and one is issued for the actual football club separately. Most people never read the second one, even though they are both linked on the same page on the Panthers site.

Wb1234

Immortal
Just remember, it was the QRL that favoured the Broncos for admission to the (then) NSWRL competition as the other major consortium opposing them was fronted by Ron McAuliffe, and the then QRL didn't want him lording it over them any further after he'd stepped down from the QRL Board.
Wait I just remembered

I think the qrl favoured mcaulifees bid and the arl ignored their advice and went through broncos

mongoose

Coach
That should be the new slogan for NRL in 2023 … “Still doing ok” … f**k me dead. Let’s be mediocre and celebrate our averageness.

Isn’t funny if you want excellence, you get called an AFL stooge. If you settle for mediocrity your a true league fan. I’d have thought any fan celebrating NRL mediocrity was an enemy of the code and anti rugby league. But that’s just not the case with Sydney centric types.

Imagine the euphoria on here if PVL managed to negotiate $500m more than AFL in 2025-27 for media and tv?

And rightly so, I’d be joining you Sydney centric PVL lovers in saying Gil is clueless and all hail the king - PVL - AFL is NRL’s bitch cause NRL got $500m more in tv money.

It would appear beta PVL was ridiculously out of his depth in negotiating media rights. And why?

It’s not his strength. Racing receives about 95% of its turnover from wagering. All their revenue is wagering and hand outs from the government like Point of Consumption Tax distribution and grants for infrastructure upgrades etc.

NRL - it’s key revenue source is TV. Same as nba, nfl, nhl etc.

No other sporting code gets point of consumption tax distribution even though all sport wagering is pooled together by government with a percentage (i think 33%) gifted to racing codes. So the more betting on NRL in NSW, the more tax revenue gets added to the government pool which then ultimately gets gifted to racing.

So for the last 10 years NRL does the hard yards boosting wagering i think it’s growing at something like 35% a year currently, but ultimately racing gets rewarded for it.

You can read all about it here:

Sporting codes submission

In 2020-21, $161m in tax was raised. Racing codes in NSW got $52m of it. This despite the fact NRL probably made up roughly $30-50m (or more) in that $161m. So racing ended up with probably $15-20m of money generated by NRL.

Why is racing getting NRL generated money? And why isn’t the NRL going to war with NSW Government over it?

It’s almost as if there’s some kind of conflict of interest that exists between the racing industry, the NSW government who ultimately appoint board members of the racing industry and NRL?? Oh silly me… perhaps there is…

Anyways, back on topic of NRLs failure to tv rights - TV and media rights aren’t even a thing in racing. Cause no one watches it. There is no value for tv in racing. So to my knowledge PVL has never actually negotiated an AFL or NRL media rights deal. Which are all substantially worth more than what racing codes get for tv.

How many tv deal old Gil done now? At least 3 or 4. He was even negotiating them as the AFLs chief operating officer. Basic inexperience has cost rugby league at least $500m under the current NRL administration.

But ah yeah it’s cool, cause in 2023 NRL is “still doing ok”…
the answer is always somewhere in the middle though. Could the game be run better? yes of course. Things could also be a lot worse - look at Super Rugby and A League.... A League crowds have been in free fall for the past 6-7 years and the TV ratings are catastrophic. Does Super Rugby even report crowds? AFL has built up a lot of momentum over the last 2 decades and that sport is just incredibly well connected to corporates and government. Not everything is rosy within AFL though with reoccurring racism incidents that are starting to seriously harm the brand, now this Brownlow scandal.

Thats great and all, but instead of removing magic round, we - and I mean myself and this website - calculated it as we would a doubleheader - take each days top attendance and divided it by matches played. Ive done this every year (as AFL tables AND the NRL did in year 1)

I remove Magic Round because it doesn't give us an accurate reading of what these matches would get if they were played on their own at their regular venues.

Vlandys was unhappy the Government wasnt going to honor a prior commitment he thought was a done deal. While he could have handled it better, his disappointment is not without merit.

It won't go ahead as it'll be a vote killer. People don't want to see money spent on a stadium when the state is in a flood crisis. V'landys can crack up all he likes, but it's the right decision.

No he doesnt.

He calculated the percentage of revenue that's going to clubs and players. It has to come from somewhere now that funding to players and clubs has been increased.

Which figures say this exactly?

The annual reports for the Sydney NRL clubs, Broncos, Cowboys, Lions and Swans. All Sydney NRL clubs earn less from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than the Swans, Broncos, Lions and Cowboys. The market has decided that Broncos, Cowboys, Lions and Swans are more valuable than the nine Sydney NRL clubs.

Same clubs are better supported and better organised than others. Not every club is going to be massive. Panthers are also backed/owned by...*checks notes*...the not insignificant Panthers Group.

None of the Sydney clubs are massive. The Panthers Group makes its money from pokies and Real estate.

*sigh*

No i didnt. There are actually two annual reports issued for Panthers. One is issued for the entire Panthers Group, and one is issued for the actual football club separately. Most people never read the second one, even though they are both linked on the same page on the Panthers site.
I just rechecked the Panthers reports. You're right. Just under $8m in 2021 and under $5.7m in 2020.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Origin and gf ratings were lower yes, but theres like 200 odd more games that make up the season.

As for the rest, the overall ratings are quite reasonably assumed based on everything we know - including early season Kayo ratings that were actually published.

Ive seen you make conclusions on matters in this and other threads with far less to go on.

I mean except where they arent. As stated before, AFLtables ran the same Magic Round calcs in 2020 and 21 - although not in 2019 - and these are higher. And with Magic Round properly calculated 2022 was the highest since 2014.

View attachment 68323

See this is those pesky guesses you make - and accuse others of making. It was widely reported that they received additional money for the dolphins.

The 240 fox is purely a guess. No one really knows how far over 400m the figures are. We do know that the 2018 deal was estimated at 380m pa, and we know its now up over 400m - about 100m over the life of the journey. We know that they got somewhere around 100m for the additional dolphins matches, as reported on multiple outlets.

They dont even need a reason. The game makes money off their back. And they form the majority of votes on the Commission.

Oh ffs. While the NRL may have stopped publishing them, myself and LeagueUnlimited have never stopped tracking the club data as published by them.

We know what the data was up until 2021. In 2021 only 2 clubs didnt report - Cronulla and Gold Coast, and we know that other than these club memberships were almost 290,000 last year. We know that the previous record was 332,000 in 2018.

We also know that clubs reported 305,000 members this year, with Penrith (18,000 in 2021), Gold Coast and New Zealand not reporting and Cronulla with a single vague update. Its actually quite easy to reach a conclusion that memberships are probably a record number. The Titans and NZ generally sit around 5-7,000 each, and Penrith riding high and in form probably broke their membership record.

While we cant be precise, given the data we have it can certainly be inferred.

View attachment 68324

As said earlier, you've drawn conclusions on things with far less information to hand.

But it is up - and at 575m last year, at its highest level ever. And that was the entire point i was making.

View attachment 68322

Buuuuut downers gonna down.

Well theres a bit more to it than that - as I said its anecdotal from people Ive spoklen to.

because I dont care about it in this thread. I dont care to see you spout the same bullshit in every thread huimanly possible, and It wasnt part of what i was saying in any case

But you...downers gotta down. Its cool bro.

Some people are happy to run their chosen sport down at every opportunity. The facts are dude, that there are positives, you just dont give a shit.

For someone who doesnt have the data, you sure spend a lot of time arguing with me about data i actually do have.
ok here we go, lies, damn lies and statistics (or 'assumed' in your case)

1. my apologies, when you said tv ratings were going "gangbusters" I presumed you meant they were increasingly significantly across platforms. What you seem to mean is now there's a cheap streaming option people are moving from other platforms to it.
2. If you use covid years, sure crowds are significantly up last year lol. But if you look at 2010-2015 then 2016- to now (excluding covid) then they continue to remain relatively static since the drop off. Less than 1% difference over last 4 years (covid not included). Hopefully the new stadiums post covid will kick in and see growth but at the moment its largely based on popular teams doing better that year than any incremental overall growth for the game
3. you didnt answer why you thought the NRl stopped bothering to report or requiring clubs to report them? So in 2018 we had a high of 332k so at best we might 'assume' that theres been around 5% growth in 4 years? Compared to when NRL where running it and there was a 220% growth in 8 years. I think my point that growth looks like (impossible to say as not reported anymore) has slowed to a trickle stands!
4. and my point was that whilst revenue is up it is further behind our competitor than ever, and only getting larger. Maybe that shows that our growth isnt what it should be?
5. NRL doesnt announce a $2.1bill tv deal as only $2bill lol. ONLY way Fox are paying $20mill more for Dolphins is if the NRL massively undersold the media announcement on the rights OR Vlandys gave them a deal in 2020 $20million less than in 2017! yes the SkyNZ deal has been announced in media circles as $160mill over 5 years, Ch9 deal is confirmed at $130mill, so how much does that leave fox out of the reported $400mill deal? Yep $240mill.

the rest, yeh whatever. I'll be positive where warranted (womens game, international game, expansion if and when, less off field BS, better stadia for many clubs, formal connection with touch, schools program just some of the good things in last decade) but am not a myopic sycophant who can see no wrong with the game or its leadership.

Last edited:
Thats my recollection.

I tender as evidence -

There are also a number of books where what I posted up thread was posited, including Mike Coleman's book on the Super League War.

The_Wookie

Bench
ok here we go, lies, damn lies and statistics (or 'assumed' in your case)

1. my apologies, when you said tv ratings were going "gangbusters" I presumed you meant they were increasingly significantly across platforms. What you seem to mean is now there's a cheap streaming option people are moving from other platforms to it.

I said ratings had gone gangbusters. they have. Just not on FTA. There so happens to be more than one platform. Two are growing, one is not.

What i "seem to mean" is that ratings have gone gangbusters. Which they have.

2. If you use covid years, sure crowds are significantly up last year lol. But if you look at 2010-2015 then 2016- to now (excluding covid) then they continue to remain relatively static. Less than 1% difference. Hopefully the new stadiums post covid will kick in and see growth but at the moment its largely based on popular teams doing better that year than any incremental overall growth for the game

We've literally just come out of two years of COVID where even the AFL is down on its pre COVID average and you expect the NRL to do better? You have an unrealistic expectation that needs some tempering.

And pretty much every league derives its attendance increases from popular teams being in form. Again, your expectation doesnt meet with any reality.

3. you didnt answer why you thought the NRl stopped bothering to report or requiring clubs to report them?

The NRL stopped reporting a lot of stuff - not just memberships. The NRL dropped a lot of things - participation numbers, television numbers, broadcast income.....

I dont care why they stopped. Some of us didnt stop.

Si in 2018 we had a high of 332k so at best we might 'assume' that theres been around 5% growth in 4 years? Compared to when NRL where running it and there was a 220% growth in 8 years. I think my point stands!

I dont think it does, what with COVID affected seasons and all leading up to 2022 and all, and the fact remains, from the data we have, this year was probably a record. The data supports that assumption.

I mean if you look at the AFL data you cant even compare it to 4 and 10 years ago because they changed the criteria themselves to show artificial growth. 5% growth for the NRL is not to be sneezed at - the initial headiness had to wear off after you start with nothing.

4. and my point was that whilst revenue is up it is further behind our competitor than ever and only getting larger. Maybe that shows that our growth isnt what it should be?

Maybe the growth could be better. But the fact remains that there is growth. And thats a positive. And that was my point.

just as my other point was that you could have just left it at that without your "but the AFL" schtick.

5. NRL doesnt announce a $2.1bill tv deal as only $2bill lol. ONLY way Fox are paying $20mill more for Dolphins is if the NRL massively undersold the media announcement on the rights OR Vlandys gave them a deal in 2020 $20million less than in 2017! (2017 deal was $385mill - Ch9 $125mill, Sly $20mill, Fox $240mill) and yes the SkyNZ deal has been announced in media circles as $160mill over 5 years, Ch9 deal is confirmed at $130mill, so how much does that leave fox out of the reported $400mill deal? Yep $240mill.

Facts not in evidence. The fox figure remains utter guesswork. It doesnt matter how many times you write this. Most of this is bullshit or inferred from less than conclusive information.

the rest, yeh whatever. I'll be positive where warranted

No you wont.

womens game, international game, expansion if and when, less off field BS, better stadia for many clubs, formal connection with touch, schools program just some of the good things in last decade) but am not a myopic sycophant who can see no wrong with the game or its leadership.

No Im now convinced that your one of those who constantly run down the game because you cant see the forest for the trees.

Wb1234

Immortal
I tender as evidence -

There are also a number of books where what I posted up thread was posited, including Mike Coleman's book on the Super League War.
The first link says they preferred the broncos

they were angry about the qrl success in origin

imagine the irony they went with outsiders who ruined the game bc they were jealous of how successful the qrl was

the qrl would die to have a leader like Ron mcauliffe today. He was on par with arko and Quayle

I remove Magic Round because it doesn't give us an accurate reading of what these matches would get if they were played on their own at their regular venues.

It won't go ahead as it'll be a vote killer. People don't want to see money spent on a stadium when the state is in a flood crisis. V'landys can crack up all he likes, but it's the right decision.

He calculated the percentage of revenue that's going to clubs and players. It has to come from somewhere now that funding to players and clubs has been increased.

The annual reports for the Sydney NRL clubs, Broncos, Cowboys, Lions and Swans. All Sydney NRL clubs earn less from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than the Swans, Broncos, Lions and Cowboys. The market has decided that Broncos, Cowboys, Lions and Swans are more valuable than the nine Sydney NRL clubs.

None of the Sydney clubs are massive. The Panthers Group makes its money from pokies and Real estate.

I just rechecked the Panthers reports. You're right. Just under $8m in 2021 and under $5.7m in 2020.
I think we all get that you dislike Sydney but you don't compare apples with apples either- Swans/Broncos/LionsCowboys are the only game in town - one team towns.

Also the grounds they play at can accommodate bigger crowds being newer or gone through major renovations and their certainly is a greater number of corporate boxes and facilities at these grounds compared to the suburban grounds a lot of the Sydney Teams play at i.e Penrith/Leichhardt/Campbelltown/Kogarah/Brookvale/Shark Park/Win

Can you post what each Sydney clubs sponsorship and corporate hospitality was - add these all up and then compare them to Bronco's/Cowboys/Lions and Swans. - Also for the crowd figures too.

Not sure what you mean by corporate hospitality though as this would be a cost to the clubs wouldn't it

If xyz sponsored Manly for 100k - they get a corporate box and are wined and dined etc (no meat pie/hotdog/cup of chips/plastic cup of beer or wine) - it costs say 7k for this each home game - 12 home games cost would be 84k to wine and dine etc this sponsor

100k sponsorship less 84k( wining and dining etc the sponsor) the club would make only 16k "profit" out of it - the more a sponsors pays the greater the cost of wining and dining etc would be

The first link says they preferred the broncos

they were angry about the qrl success in origin

imagine the irony they went with outsiders who ruined the game bc they were jealous of how successful the qrl was

the qrl would die to have a leader like Ron mcauliffe today. He was on par with arko and Quayle
I always said Arthurson and Quayle chose the Broncos to f**k over the QRL. They even attempted to f**k the Broncos over within a week of making them sign over $500k to bail out broke Sydney clubs.. Don't feel sorry for Arthurson and Quayle. Those two back-stabbing hillbillies tried to use and abuse everyone outside of Sydney. They got what they deserved in 1995. Looks like V'landys is as duplicitous and is experiencing the same sort of rebellion.

The_Wookie

Bench

Do you also remove games played in the NT, Bathurst, Mudgee, NZ and other areas outside the "regular venues".

That may be, but as of this moment, its still planned to go ahead.

Revenue has also increased, and cost cutting continues.

The market hasnt written off the Sydney clubs like you have. Again, not all clubs have to be huge to be viable. The market that the Broncos, Lions and Swans largely had to themselves in their sports for the last 30 years favours them. No way.

A fact Im well aware of. They also own Panthers. which gives the club significant backing.

I just rechecked the Panthers reports. You're right.

well thanks

I think we all get that you dislike Sydney but you don't compare apples with apples either- Swans/Broncos/LionsCowboys are the only game in town - one team towns.

I resent being treated like a second-class citizen. I'm sick of Queensland RL fans being treated like walking ATMs whose sole purpose is to prop up broke Sydney clubs, especially when most Sydney RL fans are braindead hillbillies who show no gratitude.

Sydney has nine clubs while Brisbane has been limited to just one over all but three years since 1988 -- which NSWRL fans try to justify by claiming Sydney has more money and people than Brisbane -- yet when I provide evidence that the Broncos have far more money and people supporting them than any Sydney club could ever attain you say it's because Brisbane's a one team town and Sydney isn't.

All you're doing is proving my point that Sydney has more clubs than it can support. If you're going to argue that Broncos have more money and supporters than the Sydney clubs because it does not compete with eight other clubs within their market then you've proving my point that Sydney is over saturated and needs to be rationalised. No money from the ARLC should be going to Sydney's clubs when the power brokers from the NSWRL/ARLC have used their influence to deprive every other region of Australia and New Zealand from being adequately represented, while puffing their chests about how important Sydney is and how the supporters of its clubs need to be given more weight than everyone else.

I will not invest my time and money on the NRL if the ARLC is going to use it to bail out broke Sydney clubs while treating RL fans outside of Sydney like second-class citizens. You reap what you sow in this world. If the ARLC keeps on giving small clubs from Sydney preferential treatment then it can kiss goodbye to any hope of becoming a national sport.

Also the grounds they play at can accommodate bigger crowds being newer or gone through major renovations and their certainly is a greater number of corporate boxes and facilities at these grounds compared to the suburban grounds a lot of the Sydney Teams play at i.e Penrith/Leichhardt/Campbelltown/Kogarah/Brookvale/Shark Park/Win

That's right. Sydney cannot afford to build nine state of the art stadia. Ergo, Sydney needs to be rationalised down to three to five teams, with some sharing stadia. If Sydney clubs wish to play at shitholes "cuz tradition" then they should be told to fund themselves or f**k off. They are essentially running off the riches provided by the Broncos, Storm and Cowboys.

Can you post what each Sydney clubs sponsorship and corporate hospitality was - add these all up and then compare them to Bronco's/Cowboys/Lions and Swans. - Also for the crowd figures too.
I did this the other day.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Revenue has also increased, and cost cutting continues.
Revenue increase is irrelevant when we are talking about % of revenue allocated. The higher % allocated to clubs the lower % allocated elsewhere.
Maybe its coming from the cost cutting. or maybe its coming from the $35mill that was missing in grassroots and development funding last year? We will have to see if that money has been put back and increased accordingly as a % of revenue in the financial for this year before we will know for sure

Vee

First Grade
Don’t be mad I quoted the guy who is mayor of cairns

I’d prefer png got their own team. It’s not my idea to share with cairns

but a joint bid with cairns does solve all the sledged problems a team based solely in png has

But hey sorry for reading the article and thinking it’s an interesting idea lol
I accept your apology. You weren't to know your rambling would be fact-checked, but hey, worth a try I guess.

Latest posts