What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Another comedy genius to accompany the other two .
The sky is falling crap ( Aflol taking over) has been sprouted over & over for the last 2 decades.
it ain’t happening…if the SL war and the afl gifting Brisbane premierships didn’t do much damage to RL then what makes you think a new RL team in Bris is going to sink the ship .
Some people thrive on their negative fantasies .
You need to stop twisting people's words and try stepping out of your bubble. There's no doubt fumbleball has increased its player base in Queensland over the last two decades. It doesn't mean the game will overtake rugby league, but it is improving its marketshare and taking valuable resources away from our game. Our game could carve out a similar niche in Adelaide and Perth over a similar time span.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you wanted to get rid of wrestling, one of the changes should have been to ban having more than 2 players attempting a tackle. Currently the first player holds them up, the second player locks up the ball, the third player actually gets them to the ground. If only 2 players could effect a tackle, it would reduce the opportunities for wrestling in my opinion.
Totally agree, the two men up top then finally third man down low is the real blight on the game. Go back to teaching players how to tackle one on one!

You need to stop twisting people's words and try stepping out of your bubble. There's no doubt fumbleball has increased its player base in Queensland over the last two decades. It doesn't mean the game will overtake rugby league, but it is improving its marketshare and taking valuable resources away from our game. Our game could carve out a similar niche in Adelaide and Perth over a similar time span.
You need to step out a whatever bubble you’re in .
many times it’s been shown how much bullshit AFL house & the media sprout about player numbers & popularity.
do some research & you’ll find out some facts.

You need to step out a whatever bubble you’re in .
many times it’s been shown how much bullshit AFL house & the media sprout about player numbers & popularity.
do some research & you’ll find out some facts.
I know AwFuL are deceitful propagandists. It doesn't mean everything they say is a lie. I've called out AwFuL in the past for lying about "participation" numbers.

My concerns are about developments I've witnessed with my own eyes. My nephew recently graduated from an inner city Catholic school that has produced many rugby league players. The graduation ceremony kept on mentioning fumbleball and Ron Bararssi. The highlights reel of the graduating class focused on fumbleball and onionball. The rugby league team barely got a mention. This lines up with the claim @mongoose made a year or two ago about the game growing its presence in the Brisbane schooling system. His partner works at a school and told him what goes on. I didn't really believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

I live very close to the Lions@Springwood Social Club. I've seen an increase in people wearing Lions' guernseys. The local Springwood Pumas fumbleball club was gifted Cronulla Park by the Queensland Gov after I tried to get a reformed Scorpions to be based there. Our game is poorly run and our main competitor is growing its base with the aid of the media, education system and government. Your refusal to acknowledge this plays right into their hands.

Diesel

Referee
I know AwFuL are deceitful propagandists. It doesn't mean everything they say is a lie. I've called out AwFuL in the past for lying about "participation" numbers.

My concerns are about developments I've witnessed with my own eyes. My nephew recently graduated from an inner city Catholic school that has produced many rugby league players. The graduation ceremony kept on mentioning fumbleball and Ron Bararssi. The highlights reel of the graduating class focused on fumbleball and onionball. The rugby league team barely got a mention. This lines up with the claim @mongoose made a year or two ago about the game growing its presence in the Brisbane schooling system. His partner works at a school and told him what goes on. I didn't really believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

I live very close to the Lions@Springwood Social Club. I've seen an increase in people wearing Lions' guernseys. The local Springwood Pumas fumbleball club was gifted Cronulla Park by the Queensland Gov after I tried to get a reformed Scorpions to be based there. Our game is poorly run and our main competitor is growing its base with the aid of the media, education system and government. Your refusal to acknowledge this plays right into their hands.
Did you ask or get any help from the QRL when you tried to reform the Scorpions?

Did you ask or get any help from the QRL when you tried to reform the Scorpions?
I sent an email to the QRL then contacted them by phone. The receptionist said "Are you the one who sent the e-mail?"

The only people who responded were Des Morris, Logan City Council Division 1 Councillor Lisa Bradley and Desley Scott QLD MP.

The QRL does very little for the game in Logan.

Diesel

Referee
I sent an email to the QRL then contacted them by phone. The receptionist said "Are you the one who sent the e-mail?"

The only people who responded were Des Morris, Logan City Council Division 1 Councillor Lisa Bradley and Desley Scott QLD MP.

The QRL does very little for the game in Logan.
That’s pretty sad. Is it worth a 2nd go but cc’ing/tagging/contacting in someone more influential in SEQ or ARLC?
If afl is handed Cronulla Prk, then RL in QLD deserves a lot more. You look at West End to Logan and that’s a massive area covered by a Q Cup team, with limited resources and semi professional players, they’re not reaching the coverage that that large area deserves. The only other club I can think of in that area is Souths juniors at acacia ridge but that’s a juniors club, not state level.

mongoose

Coach

Was this about Auskick in schools? yeah they push hard and are very organised from what i've heard.

Ideally Logan should have a QLD cup side but I don't think the region is being ignored like some posters claim. The Broncos, Titans and Raiders would all have their eyes on Logan, they know its a strong nursery. Raiders are still well connected in the area and own a couple of sports clubs in Logan.

Totally agree, the two men up top then finally third man down low is the real blight on the game. Go back to teaching players how to tackle one on one!
The third man in was allowed as coaches whinged it was too hard to slow the play the ball down - Gould even said to Harrigan who was the ref's boss at the time to nip in the bud but to no avail.

The Ref's have to be more proactive in calling tackled to avoid the prolonged catch and hold tackle nonsense and limit/eliminate the third man in rubbish as serious injuries can be sustained as result as we have seen - hip drop / attacking the legs etc.

Ditto the decoy runner as coaches were also whinging that it was too hard to score tries.

The decoy runner should be banned as well- they are not doing anything but running interference/blocking the defenders - inside and outside shoulder and defenders choice is rubbish in justifying tries scored.

If a defender moves in front of an attacking player chasing a kick and thus denies them an opportunity to regather the ball they are penalised - same should be the case for the decoy runners who are denying defenders the opportunity of a clear shot at an attacking player when attempting to make a tackle.

7 tackle set restart another one to get rid off - only came in to stop teams from deliberately kicking the ball dead to enable them to set their defence on the oppositions 20 metres.

I am sure attacking teams are not deliberately dropping or losing the ball in goal or missing field goals on purpose so they can set their defence line on the oppositions 20 metres

Wb1234

Referee
The third man in was allowed as coaches whinged it was too hard to slow the play the ball down - Gould even said to Harrigan who was the ref's boss at the time to nip in the bud but to no avail.

The Ref's have to be more proactive in calling tackled to avoid the prolonged catch and hold tackle nonsense and limit/eliminate the third man in rubbish as serious injuries can be sustained as result as we have seen - hip drop / attacking the legs etc.

Ditto the decoy runner as coaches were also whinging that it was too hard to score tries.

The decoy runner should be banned as well- they are not doing anything but running interference/blocking the defenders - inside and outside shoulder and defenders choice is rubbish in justifying tries scored.

If a defender moves in front of an attacking player chasing a kick and thus denies them an opportunity to regather the ball they are penalised - same should be the case for the decoy runners who are denying defenders the opportunity of a clear shot at an attacking player when attempting to make a tackle.

7 tackle set restart another one to get rid off - only came in to stop teams from deliberately kicking the ball dead to enable them to set their defence on the oppositions 20 metres.

I am sure attacking teams are not deliberately dropping or losing the ball in goal or missing field goals on purpose so they can set their defence line on the oppositions 20 metres
I agree with a Lot of this

but decoy runners you can’t tell whose actually a decoy

That’s pretty sad. Is it worth a 2nd go but cc’ing/tagging/contacting in someone more influential in SEQ or ARLC?
If afl is handed Cronulla Prk, then RL in QLD deserves a lot more. You look at West End to Logan and that’s a massive area covered by a Q Cup team, with limited resources and semi professional players, they’re not reaching the coverage that that large area deserves. The only other club I can think of in that area is Souths juniors at acacia ridge but that’s a juniors club, not state level.
Easts should look at changing their name to Logan. Their club base at Langlands Park is just a stone's throw from the start of Logan Rd, which extends all the way down through the south-eastern suburbs and into Underwood/Springwood in Logan. They have junior affiliate clubs in Logan's northeastern suburbs of Rochedale South/Priestdale and Springwood. In Logan's southeast they have the Flagstone Tigers and Yarrabilba Tigers.

Easts Juniors RLFC is not far from Logan Rd in Holland Park.

If the Tigers want to enter the NRL then they'll need to differentiate themselves from the Broncos and Dolphins. Calling themselves Logan instead of Brisbane will help do that.

I don’t understand why Logan or Redlands don’t have a team at state level. While Wynnum probably service the Redlands, it’s got a population of over 150k, it can support a team.
Logan is just a no brainer.
Redlands Parrots wear the same colours as Wynnum Manly. I've seen a few Wynnum May fans in Redlands while driving around the area. There's potential for Wynnum Manly to become a big thing in Redlands.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They’re playing most of their games out of Lang Park. People won’t care that “Oh no, they’re not called the Logan Dolphins and they used to come from Redcliffe so I can’t support them.” They’re thinking can I get to Lang Park to watch them beat the Broncos?

Those people supporting Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Raiders and Sydney clubs now have a team that aren’t the Broncos that they can now more easily get to go see in person. People will switch club allegiances for that.

BTW you write essays because of your own ego and nothing more.
This is spot on. The fact that their training base is at Redcliffe is being way overblown on here. They are a Brisbane team playing the majority of their games out of Suncorp. Commercial realities (FIFAWC year aside next year) will dictate that at least 10 games are at the best RL stadium in the city.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
maybe in decades to come but the vast majority of advertising revenue is still spent on fta Not ptv. 88% of growing tv advertising is spent on metro markets not regional areas.
have updated the above list accordingly.
Yes agree that the model I refer to is in the future, but that future is arriving quickly. Also, the list I made shows the dominant sport in each market. AFL is nowhere near RL in Brisbane or Sydney

westerntiger

Juniors
The AFL fans in Sydney are mostly Caucasians who struggle with the diversity in other sports, or are people from AFL states originally. Queensland is obviously full of refugee Vics who refuse to integrate and try and impose their customs. Fumbling is not ingrained in the local culture in Sydney at all and never will be, their crowds and influence have not changed since 2000.