What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Vee

First Grade
Wow! I check this thread each day for new lines of interest and usually there's several pages of reading, the vast majority of which is petty, small-mindedpersonal attacks so I mostly start at the last page and only check back if there is something of interest mentioned.

I'm in the middle on PVL, he's far and away the best leader we've had but that doesn't excuse his many spectacular failures. To go from there in a PVL thread to an in-depth discussion of the legality vs morality of prostitution vs gambling, just Wow! And the battle is btw two combatants normally, mostly on the same side!

Vlad59

Bench
Wow! I check this thread each day for new lines of interest and usually there's several pages of reading, the vast majority of which is petty, small-mindedpersonal attacks so I mostly start at the last page and only check back if there is something of interest mentioned.

I'm in the middle on PVL, he's far and away the best leader we've had but that doesn't excuse his many spectacular failures. To go from there in a PVL thread to an in-depth discussion of the legality vs morality of prostitution vs gambling, just Wow! And the battle is btw two combatants normally, mostly on the same side!
Off season boredom

Vee

First Grade
Off season boredom
100%. I didn't think the didgee game was on for a few weeks yet until I heard an ad yesterday. It's not real footy, but it'll do until the real footy starts.

Thank God! I was going insane in the dead time in January, suddenly it's almost time again for me to strap in and get excited.

Iamback

Coach

I'd probably give an 8/10. What do you see as the many failures?

Vee

First Grade
I'd probably give an 8/10. What do you see as the many failures?
"Rusted on AFL state", TV deals, stadium losses, junior and bush funding, the concessions to club bosses and the RLPA that give them way too much power, the fights with the NSWRL and QRL, there are others but that's enough to be getting on with.

Iamback

Coach
"Rusted on AFL state", TV deals, stadium losses, junior and bush funding, the concessions to club bosses and the RLPA that give them way too much power, the fights with the NSWRL and QRL, there are others but that's enough to be getting on with.

TV Deal - imo we can't judge yet.

We wouldn't be going into 2027 with 9 games to sell IF the game didn't extend long term. Nor could the purchases get made that are helping the bottomline.

Stadium losses - We have seen the AFL who never lose out. Have a big blow with Gabba and looks like Tasmania too. It isn't good but I am not sure anyone else gets those across the line.

I can't hold that against him because that is higher up.

The club bosses and funding go together - NRL got rid of Development Officers where there was duplication. Clubs are handling that so rightful should be paid extra for that.

as @The_Wookie said holding back funding is to do with power than anything. I'd back QRL IF their cries for more money was for grassroots but it is to give QCup teams extra money. So that like the TV we need to see the outcome to judge.

Too much power to RLPA that is true but what sport doesn't give players too much power. The players know that the game needs them and so do administrators

Colk

First Grade

1. Meh I was very bored.
2. I find hypocrisy humorous. He goes on about the exploitative nature of gambling then engages in something that is as equally exploitative. He frames one as immoral and one as moral because he likes one and doesn’t like the other. In essence do whatever you like or want but don’t lecture everybody else.

I’m not too fussed with any of those bar the TV deal. Massive f**k up there. Not sure you can pin the stadium losses on him. Not many options in front of you when governments break promises apart from threatening to shift the GF. NSW government will just outbid the other states which is far cheaper than an Accor rebuild.

1. Meh I was very bored.
2. I find hypocrisy humorous. He goes on about the exploitative nature of gambling then engages in something that is as equally exploitative. He frames one as immoral and one as moral because he likes one and doesn’t like the other. In essence do whatever you like or want but don’t lecture everybody else.
And just on point 2, he brings up pokies incessantly. People eventually bite

Iamback

Coach
I’m not too fussed with any of those bar the TV deal. Massive f**k up there. Not sure you can pin the stadium losses on him. Not many options in front of you when governments break promises apart from threatening to shift the GF. NSW government will just outbid the other states which is far cheaper than an Accor rebuild.

It is hard because we don't know the figures for TV. But let's assume you are right in this deal is unders. Look at the alternative.

sign a reduced 2-3 year deal takes us to 2024.

No Dolphins
No buying hotels or Vegas

New deal starts in 2025. Dolphins would be looking to start 2025 or 2026. That deal would go to 2029. You are probably looking at Team 18 for 2028.

In 2028 as it stands the next TV deal is into it's 2nd year with a 9th game and looking to expand further. On top of close to $1b in revenue

I don't think the game would be better in 2028 under that alternate model

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

The next issue pvl has to sort out

That is one of those duplication issues.

the lower graders in that article come under the NSWRL banner. So not sure you can apply Transfer fees etc.

Salary Cap relief is probably all that is in the NRL scope

Colk

First Grade

the lower graders in that article come under the NSWRL banner. So not sure you can apply Transfer fees etc.

The only way you could do it is have another system in conjunction with the salary cap. The only way you can set deductions/concessions etc and being able to police it properly.

A transfer fee is probably the easiest and quickest way to do it.

Iamback

Coach
The only way you could do it is have another system in conjunction with the salary cap. The only way you can set deductions/concessions etc and being able to police it properly.

A transfer fee is probably the easiest and quickest way to do it.

You also have teams paying for schooling and stuff so a transfer fee makes sense.

Wb1234

Immortal

Up to 2 million allowed over the cap is what’s needed

that would mean every club would have to follow

the increase in junior funding would come from clubs and leagues clubs so wouldn’t cost the game a cent

provides more incentive to invest in juniors vs transfer fee

Vee

First Grade
TV Deal - imo we can't judge yet.

We wouldn't be going into 2027 with 9 games to sell IF the game didn't extend long term. Nor could the purchases get made that are helping the bottomline.

Stadium losses - We have seen the AFL who never lose out. Have a big blow with Gabba and looks like Tasmania too. It isn't good but I am not sure anyone else gets those across the line.

I can't hold that against him because that is higher up.

The club bosses and funding go together - NRL got rid of Development Officers where there was duplication. Clubs are handling that so rightful should be paid extra for that.

as @The_Wookie said holding back funding is to do with power than anything. I'd back QRL IF their cries for more money was for grassroots but it is to give QCup teams extra money. So that like the TV we need to see the outcome to judge.

Too much power to RLPA that is true but what sport doesn't give players too much power. The players know that the game needs them and so do administrators
I've followed the arguments on both sides, I consider them all failures.

Latest posts